John2189

Gas

ClassicTractorProfessor
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

So to drive 100 miles using 100% gas  requires 10 gallons of gasoline.

To drive 100 miles using E10                requires 18 gallons of gasoline + 2 gallons of ethanol.   

:confusion-confused:

1 hour ago, tom2p said:

not uncommon to get less mpg with E10 gas - but the difference should be fairly small ... maybe around 5-10% ... ? ... 50% reduction is certainly not typical 

I’m not sure if that was the only cause or not…but it was the only difference I could find between that trip vs my usual local driving…kept my speed at around 55-60 like usual and was all on flat ground same as here locally. So the fuel was the only difference I could find. It also seemed to me like the truck didn’t seem to have the power that it usually does either…now keep in mind that my truck is a 94 F350 crew cab 5.8L  with a utility bed loaded to the max (or maybe just a bit overloaded) so that may or may not have made a difference in the drastic change compared to what some are seeing…I don’t know:confusion-confused:

couple years ago I had a 94 F150 with the 5.8 that here locally I would average between 19-21…took it up into Nebraska and was running ethanol up there and was getting 14 or so…so not as drastic of a change but still enough that I felt like the 100% was worth the extra cost

image.jpg

ZXT
7 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

I’m not sure if that was the only cause or not…but it was the only difference I could find between that trip vs my usual local driving…kept my speed at around 55-60 like usual and was all on flat ground same as here locally. So the fuel was the only difference I could find. It also seemed to me like the truck didn’t seem to have the power that it usually does either…now keep in mind that my truck is a 94 F350 crew cab 5.8L  with a utility bed loaded to the max (or maybe just a bit overloaded) so that may or may not have made a difference in the drastic change compared to what some are seeing…I don’t know:confusion-confused:

couple years ago I had a 94 F150 with the 5.8 that here locally I would average between 19-21…took it up into Nebraska and was running ethanol up there and was getting 14 or so…so not as drastic of a change but still enough that I felt like the 100% was worth the extra cost

image.jpg

I'd have to see it with my eyes to believe that a 351 got that good of mileage!

What's the 'ol Silverado get?

My '95 V10 truck gets 13-14 highway. I've ran ethanol free in it a few times and I might've seen 14.5 out of it, but I can't say for sure. I drive it often enough that I don't see any reason to spend the extra. Before the 5 speed swap I never managed more than 11. 

ClassicTractorProfessor
24 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I'd have to see it with my eyes to believe that a 351 got that good of mileage!

What's the 'ol Silverado get?

My '95 V10 truck gets 13-14 highway. I've ran ethanol free in it a few times and I might've seen 14.5 out of it, but I can't say for sure. I drive it often enough that I don't see any reason to spend the extra. Before the 5 speed swap I never managed more than 11. 

That little F150 done real good on fuel…course with 3.08 gears it would cruise right on down the highway at 65 running about 1450 in overdrive too. I should have never gotten rid of that truck. The Silverado was averaging about 16 or so, but it’s sitting out on dead row, along with my 99 GMC Suburban, both of which are waiting on new engines, or a buyer to come along and haul them off. If I do decide to fix it I will probably end up swapping the 350 for a 454, but I’d rather sell it and buy another mid 90s F350 with a 460 and 5 speed. 

The guy I got my service truck from claimed he was getting around 13 or so, and he may have been…he didn’t have it loaded down near as heavy as I do. One of these days I’m gonna go up to the grain elevator and run it across the scales. I know she’s loaded to the limit for sure, and it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s not a bit overweight. Sure was interesting a couple weeks ago towing almost 7000 lbs extra of trailer and tractor home on top of everything else already in there. 

• Like 1

ZXT
20 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

That little F150 done real good on fuel…course with 3.08 gears it would cruise right on down the highway at 65 running about 1450 in overdrive too. I should have never gotten rid of that truck. The Silverado was averaging about 16 or so, but it’s sitting out on dead row, along with my 99 GMC Suburban, both of which are waiting on new engines, or a buyer to come along and haul them off. If I do decide to fix it I will probably end up swapping the 350 for a 454, but I’d rather sell it and buy another mid 90s F350 with a 460 and 5 speed. 

The guy I got my service truck from claimed he was getting around 13 or so, and he may have been…he didn’t have it loaded down near as heavy as I do. One of these days I’m gonna go up to the grain elevator and run it across the scales. I know she’s loaded to the limit for sure, and it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s not a bit overweight. Sure was interesting a couple weeks ago towing almost 7000 lbs extra of trailer and tractor home on top of everything else already in there. 

What happened to the engine in the Chevy? Seemed like it was a pretty nice truck - shame to let it get hauled off.

bc.gold

A few days ago made a 6 hour round trip, one that I have done numinous times using the same truck this time used $40.00 more fuel all of which purchased from Coop gas bars.

Using the same procedure to test for ethanol you could easily remove ethanol.

lynnmor
53 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

A few days ago made a 6 hour round trip, one that I have done numinous times using the same truck this time used $40.00 more fuel all of which purchased from Coop gas bars.

Since we now decided to create massive inflation, that may be the reason for the higher cost.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
20 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

massive inflation,

Careful Lynn.   :law-policered:

• Haha 2

jonw440

Search Youtube or Google for instructions to remove ethanol from gas.

Its real easy!

bc.gold
6 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Since we now decided to create massive inflation, that may be the reason for the higher cost.

Previously made the same run and had gas remaining in the tank, this trip required extra fuel.

lynnmor
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Careful Lynn.   :law-policered:

Yes, I know, that is why I tip-toed around things.

• Haha 1