Uxtractor

Ignition switch 33-395 ?

Uxtractor

Good Day ,work is moving along on my 1969 Wheel Horse 12 hp Raider ,my question is it has a 5 terminal ignition switch part number 33-395 installed , according to what I see that is a switch for magneto ignition .The tractor is battery and coil on a Kohler I believe that to be the wrong switch I think it should be 33-396 .

If I turn key on and jump the starter solenoid I have spark if I crank with the key switch no or very little spark do you guys think the current switch to be wrong ? Thanks Mike

gwest_ca

1969 Raider 12 originally had breakerless magneto ignition. Has it been changed to battery ignition because it failed?

Click on the picture in the link to view more

Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca

33-395 is an Oregon number for a 5-wire 4 key position magneto ignition switch with one of the 5 being a ground wire. Stens 430-013 is the same.

This switch will not carry the starter load so the solenoid was added.

Coil Ignition Breakerless2.jpg

Switch Ignition Mag Stens 430-013 5w 4k.jpg

• Like 1

Uxtractor

Good evening ,And thanks for the fast reply my kohler has a regular ignition points and coil with condenser on the shroud ,my 33-395 switch is 3 position 5 terminal. 

I thinking that I need a different ignition switch ,the engine will spark if I just turn the key to on and cross the solenoid with a old screw driver .

I did find a dealer selling 33-395 and he said it was for a magneto engine while the 33-396 says 4 position and no mention of mag .

Yes I installed a solenoid my tractor was a parts tractor with nearly everything stripped off so without a original untouched one I am having a bit of a time sorting it out I appreciate everyone,s interest going to look at a new switch Sunday .Was not sure where Wheel Horse put it so made a small mount and attached it under the starter out of the way and short cables .cheers Mike  

IMG_20210712_144738.jpg

Edited by Uxtractor
added picture
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

This is the most popular and reasonably priced switch Wheel Horse used for battery ignition.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

I alresdu have a solinois if you use a 103-990 ignition switch this dagram will do the trick..

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

• Like 2

Uxtractor

Thank you Richard I think that is what I need ,will keep you posted .Cheers Mike

• Like 1

Uxtractor

Update I installed the new ignition switch after rearranging the wire terminals in the plastic plug to suit the new switch and happy to report all is well it starts good and it is charging great too so both issues cleaned up new regulator and new switch.Set it back on the ground and took it for several test drives and all the gears and ranges were working fine ,seems a owner several guys back thought the diff was bad but no shining stream came out when I drained it and is refilled and holding up just fine . Next thing to get is the deck to tractor belt and bolt down a seat then for this year it is done . Cheers and Thanks everyone Mike

wheel horse.jpg

• Like 1