Ben444

Wheel Horse 655 Tractor Clutch Spring part# 5714

Ben444

The clutch spring broke on my 655 probably 15 years ago and I never got it fixed. Decided to give it a go with hopefully some help on the forum.

Problem #1 - They don't make the clutch spring anymore. Any ideas on what I could use? I found one on EBay (see pic #1) but it looks about as bad as the one that broke on me.

Problem # 2 - It's been so long I don't remember how it hooks in. It's hard to tell from the diagrams I have found on this website. I did find one pic that kind of shows it (see pic #2). If someone could provide pic(s) of how the spring goes back on, that would be wonderful. 

Problem #3 - If I pull up on the clutch it scrapes on the belt guard (see pic #3). I don't remember it being like that before. Is there some kind of adjustment I need to make, or do I need to bend the belt guard?

Problem #4 - I need a new muffler (see pic #4). I bought one once before but it didn't fit and I sent it back. This is another part that was discontinued. I've seen some elaborate solutions out on this forum but I just want a simple solution that I can just screw in to replace the one I have.

Thanks in advance.

image_2021-07-17_145008.png

image_2021-07-17_145047.png

image_2021-07-17_145157.png

image_2021-07-17_145251.png

stevasaurus

Hi Ben.  That is not your clutch pedal.  That pedal works the tension pulley to engage your mower deck.  It looks like the spring is there in the picture.  The little tab on the pedal releases the pedal and the tension pulley tightens that 29" belt and when tight turns the blades in your mower deck.  When you step on the pedal, the tension pulley lets off the tension and puts slack back in that belt.  You can get springs like what you need at ACE or TSC or Autozone, etc.

If that pedal is hitting your drive belt guard, do not bend the guard !!, find out if a tab holding the guard is missing or missing a bolt.  The tab should be on top and at the end of the guard.

I think you can get those mufflers from (Wheelhorse parts and more)...Lowell is a vendor for new parts on this site.  Check the vendor section below.

Edit::

It is a clutch pedal...the manual calls it an attachment clutch pedal.  Sorry Ben.  :hide:

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

you need to loosen the bolt and rotate the belt guard and get the belt under it.as in this picture

IMG_3526.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

If you muffler pipe is 1/2" I have a brand new muffler that style.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That's right...it is a Tecumseh!!  :confusion-confused:

Ben444

Stevasaurus - Thanks for the reply. I've owned the tractor for about 30 years so I realize it is not the transmission clutch and I know how it works. I didn't know what to call it, mower deck clutch? The pic I included with the spring on it is one I found on this website. I was hoping to get a better pic. The pic from pfrederi is very helpful (thanks pfrederi). Thanks for the tip about where to buy a spring. Once I figure out how it attaches I will take the measurement and a pic to the stores you suggest.

I did check two Wheel Horse parts websites (RCPW and Partstree) for the part number for the muffler and they said it was discontinued with no replacement part # given. I will check the diameter of the pipe and post it. I believe it is 1".

I really appreciate everyone's help.

• Like 1

Crazyredhorse

looks like my setup.dark in garage cant make out what's behind the loop spring attaches to might be a cotter pin? 

20210718_005600.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca
5 hours ago, Ben444 said:

I will check the diameter of the pipe and post it. I believe it is 1".

Pipe sizes can be deceiving

1/2" pipe is .840" OD (approx 27/32")

3/4" pipe is 1.050" OD (approx 1-3/64")

1" pipe is 1.315" OD (approx 1-5/16")

1-1/4" pipe is 1.660" OD (approx 1-21/32")

• Like 1

peter lena

stevasaurus

Here is a better picture (compliments Crazyredhorse)...

87.jpg

• Like 1

oldlineman

That's what I was thinking Pete :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

Ben444

Well a couple of things. I accidentally found the old spring under the hood. Should help me find a replacement or maybe I can make it work (I think I tried to bend the broken end and put it back on, maybe kept slipping off?). I have posted a couple of pics.

I took the muffler off and measured. Posted pics. Any recommendations on where I could find a replacement?

Going to try and buy a nice replacement mower deck, or maybe rebuild my old one. It's an RM-324. Any advice?

20210731_134809.jpg

20210731_134826.jpg

20210731_134624.jpg

20210731_134447.jpg

20210731_134609.jpg

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I hope you realize that when I go through explaining a bunch of stuff you already know, I do that for the people reading this thread that do not know.  That being said, a RM-324 is a 32" cut made in 1964.  If you are looking to replace that deck, a RM-32 (4,5,6,7) should be the same.  If you want to go to a 36" deck...RM-36 (4,5,6,7) will work also.  All parts should inter-change.

Check with Lowell at Wheelhorseparts and more for the muffler.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1