cod

aerator and plow advice/thoughts

cod

2 questions if I may as I'm wrestling with a couple of ideas for tools to use with my 418.  Some of you use a single bottom plow for turning over your gardens and it appears that most of them use a sleeve hitch with a cable to raise the plow.  Are there other options if you do not have the sleeve with the lift cable?  I've seen plows with a set of wheels and levers to adjust the depth but most of them seem to have multiple moldboards and I don't think the 418 could pull more than one.  I've been rooting around on Craigslist but most of the single plows appear to be for 3 point hitches any information or advice would be helpful.

The second question is about aerators and I'm curious to see if anyone has had any luck towing a plug aerator?  The blade type seem to be very popular but I would think that if you really want to aerate, an actual hole would be more beneficial so once again, any info or advice would be great.  I'd also be keen to hear if an engine driven model that can be towed would work better than just piling up concrete blocks for weight.

Thanks!!!

Skwerl58

I have a 414-8 that has the clevis hitch that is raised with the lever. I use the Brinly mold board plow and it does great. I also use an AgriFab 48" plug aerator  that I add weight to and it does a very good job also. There are some post on here where an electric lift has been added and that looks like a great setup. The clevis hitch also holds down the plow which is very helpful when in use. I try to pick a day where the ground has suffucient moisture both for aerating and plowing. 

Handy Don

The parts needed to add the sleeve hitch are readily available and not difficult to install for someone with some basic mechanical skills and a few good tools.

There have been several recent threads on hitches and plows that cover the important points. Search for sleeve hitch or lift cable. 

I see Brinly plows for sleeve hitches every week or so on the CL and constantly on the bay and FBM anywhere from $125 to $200.  Spike aerators are readily available but plug aerators do come up from time to time. The aerators have wheels and you need only the standard drawbar hitch. 

Edited by Handy Don

Lee1977

"Wheel Horse Parts and More" in our vender section has the sleeve hitch and cable. His sleeve hitch is heaver then the stock Wheel Horse one.

• Like 1

ranger

This is mine, originally 3point linkage, but I use the detachable draw bar from my flail mower to tow it around the paddocks. C121 tows it no problem, as you can probably guess, this thing is “Heavy”!!!C6AE3CDA-DE73-4181-89AA-783264342683.jpeg.f499c4cdb0a1ac9902ef0e731f5325e0.jpegp

BA19DC58-0A12-409F-BE20-83E65581C41E.jpeg