jeff lary

2000 3-14-8 No Start Issue

jeff lary

yes I will have to check the regulator, In searching the web yesterday I came across some place saying that a bad regulator can cause intermittent stalling. I will go to an old horse dealer and ask them when I get the chance to. I am working down on the coast today so 100 miles from home.

jeff lary

Quick question I am in need of a new voltage regulator for the 314-8 it is the (3-spade connector style) mounts on the lower left front of the engine. Is there any reason that the ones for $20-$30 are not a good deal? The genuine kohler regulator is going to cost me $100.00 at the old horse dealer. Any input welcome, thanks Jeff

Handy Don

IMHO, $20 units have worked fine for me. Even if you have to buy two, it's a save.

• Like 2

jeff lary

I ordered one from Jacks $47 shipped i do trust them have used them before.

jeff lary

Hello all back again,

So, after changing the voltage regulator with a new one I still have the same issue. I even bought a second one in case the first regulator was bad right from the factory and that did not change anything either still intermittent no start.

In the spring when I can get the tractor into my shop, I will be back to dealing with the no start issue again. I spoke to a shop that kind of specializes in Kohler engines he does all the Kohler generator engine services in my area and told him my story. He had me preform a few tests last fall and he believes I may have a bad stator. I think he told me that an oem stator could be like $160.00. I mentioned that maybe I could look on the web for one. He said yes, they are out there and much less expensive but, told me that in his experience aftermarket stators for a Kohler did not last very long. He told me, " I cannot explain it to you, but a Kohler seems to work best with a Kohler stator". Does anyone have experience with this issue? Also what am I looking at to change the stator?

Edited by jeff lary

pfrederi

Try a used kohler stator  (A to Z Tractor)

Pull the flywheel then 4 small bolts to remove stator.

jeff lary

Used hua? never thought of that before. I will look at the site mentioned.

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

Used hua? never thought of that before. I will look at the site mentioned.

You can test the used stator you buy before you install it

test is shown in the K series service manual you can down load here. 

Edit if you have a Magnum there is a service manual for it on here also (test is the same I believe

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

jeff lary

Thank's you say download it "here" but where is here? somewhere in your message (like a link) or someplace on this site?

Handy Don

Use the "Search" box. Choose options like "use all my terms" and then "Files/Documents" as the area to search.

Enter search terms that are likely to be in the title/description of the documents you are looking for--Engine Magnum Kohler K-series and so forth. Put spaces between the terms, not commas or other punctuation.

At the top of this page, there is Browse pull-down list that has "Manuals" -- that's where they are.

BTW, as a supporter, you can perform any number of searches with no time lag between them. 

Edited by Handy Don

pfrederi
16 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

Thank's you say download it "here" but where is here? somewhere in your message (like a link) or someplace on this site?

jeff lary

Thanks to you both I appreciate the help.

OutdoorEnvy

Not to derail your direction but if you haven't done so already I would suggest doing something free just to rule it out if nothing else.  I have solved more than half my electrical issues with hard starts, won't start, loss of spark while running after it heats up a bit, etc. by just cleaning the grounds up real well.  Specifically the negative battery terminal cable to the frame.  I mean clean it with wire brush and/or sand paper down to clean metal.  Then use dielectric grease if you have it.  Also check for the engine ground as well.  Dirty or corroded grounds cause more intermittent issues with this kind of stuff.  Just wanted to mention it in case you haven't given that a try yet.  Best of luck with it though.  Hang in there and you'll get it at some point. 

jeff lary

I like the " you'll get it at some point" comment that is my mantra ha ha. I have cleaned the battery to frame ground i think? it was last fall when i last worked on it. I will see if i can find and engine to frame ground that is a good thought. 

While i was on the phone with the Kohler guy last summer he said," well if all you want to do is mow your lawn just connect the positive cable to the battery long enough to start it then disconnect it afterwards".

So, i did that for the late summer and early fall. See when the positive is connected and the running engine the "stator?" was sending 18 + volts to the battery and it was a new battery last summer so i did not want to "cook" the new battery. However, seeing the pos cable not connected to the battery while mowing was/ is getting old fast. I am a kind of perfectionist sort of, i cannot stand to have things around me that do not work as designed it drives me nuts. Not to mention it is a pita and i am always worried the cable will short out to something. I temporarily rigged a rubber boot to protect the "hot" end when not connected to the battery,... jury rigged is not for me ha ha.

I have just been in my shop looking through what manuals i have, see i need to buy new blads for the deck and needed a part number to find them. I both this tractor used and someone at some point painted over the model and serial numbers or more likely tore off the sticker on the deck. I found the 42" deck manual and someone god bless em recorded the numbers in it. Model 7834 and Ser 20000022 so now i will be on the hunt for blades too.  Sorry for all the lower case "i" in this message somehow every time i type the word I it comes out as a lowercase i.....

jeff lary

I will start by saying I am most likely doing something wrong, but the above links take me to a couple different page's and I cannot click on anything on either page? I am trying to see the part number for the stator but nothing there that I can see will allow me to do that. At Jacks small engines I have found this but have no idea if it is what I need. Kohler 237878S 15/20 Amp Stator Kit - Jacks Small Engines I also saw a couple at a-z but without knowing what part number I need I would not dare to order one. No hurry I guess I likely will not order till next Month anyway.

pfrederi

Click on the fuzzy picture and it will open the page in the manual section here. Then download the manual use the  big red button...

Posted this so you could see how to test the stator. 

If you want a part number might be easier if i looked it up what is the spec number of your engine....

Edited by pfrederi

jeff lary

I don't have the number right now the tractor in in an outbuilding w/3' of snow around it. Got ya just did what you said now i will go look at it., the manual that is.

Edited by jeff lary

jeff lary

I looked at the M8 - M-16 MANUAL do not feel like you or anyone has to answer these questions as i'm not sure this is even the correct manual. However while reading the different tests I realized just how much I lack in the whole electrical system testing skills. First off you really need to understand how to set the meter and what it is telling you i know neither one. These just jumped out at me.

I don't know which if any of these pages I would use for my application

Page 8.9--- 1.25 amp or 3 amp set up? don't know how i would know the difference. If the voltage is 12.5 or more?? (how much more? ) your stator is fine. On mime When running the voltage across the terminals at the battery reads over 18 volts. I am kind of stuck on this point if the stator is putting 18 volts plus into my battery and i have installed 2 new voltage regulators do i not already have my answer (i.e.) bad stator? Maybe not I sure don't know.

8.8 ---Lighting stator? i have headlights is that what they mean?

8.11--- 15 amp battery charging system?

Charging Lead? do they mean the positive battery lead? or the white wires coming from under the shroud?

Measure voltage from charging lead to ground? do they mean connect one multi meter lead to the positive lead and the other to a metal grounding spot on the engine?

Infinity reading? what setting for this?

Resistance? --what setting for this is it ohms?

I have the free Harbor Freight multi meter I am sure it is junk but if I don't know how to use it,... what good would it do me to have an expensive one ha ha

All I mean is I hate to see someone spend hours trying to explain to me all the variables of using a multi meter. Your not working with much here folks ha ha

Edited by jeff lary

pfrederi

If you gave us the spec number of the engine we could figure out which charging system you have,. Problem is 314-8 were made over a few year with different engines. Can you say if it is a K-321 or a Magnum 14... That would at least narrow it down...

jeff lary

its a year 2000 Magnum 3/14/8

jeff lary

DSCF0521.JPG.c4fb5e4ccd4aef1e629ea57f1c9811dd.JPG

Ed Kennell
19 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

Your not working with much here folks ha ha

You know more than most Jeff.   You're asking the right questions.    Paul can guide you thru it.

jeff lary

Well to be honest i do ok with many things, I can weld cut fabricate replace tune all the normal stuff ,..but this electrical stuff is above my pay grade.  I have never had anyone teach me how to test Electrical components, Like, what is an acceptable or non-acceptable result. Every multi meter i have seen seems to have different settings than mine does. Mine is one step above an hourglass and a sun dial. Of course, I couldn't use one of those either probably ha ha.

Edited by jeff lary
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Way to new for me... you have a Kohler Command Pro engine...I have nothing near that new good luck.

pfrederi

Command Pro Service manual

For part numbers go to Kohler Engine Parts website...