Pullstart

Funny. No hitch.

Pullstart

You’d think one of these would come with a hitch.

CE58E16B-1E0C-42C1-A6A0-01D9751379B0.jpeg

F3E580E2-EE71-43B4-BB74-DD7E8533F4B4.jpeg

EB2311EE-30A9-4BAE-B50F-C73D08CC2924.jpeg

8DA92CA2-0BC4-4B34-B764-F11E533746C5.jpeg

4C24F7DF-2747-41FA-BA5B-311469CA706E.jpeg

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

Never seen a school bus with a trailer...

(Except the big city busses that are two sections.)

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Never seen a school bus with a trailer...

(Except the big city busses that are two sections.)

You might soon...

• Haha 8

ebinmaine

Niiiiice

• Like 1

19richie66
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

You might soon...

New hauler?

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Clean out about 6 rows of seats and you could haul 6 or 8 wheel horses with a ramp out the back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Skwerl58

Our school system auctioned some busses a few years ago to an out of state company. They had a crew mount some type of tow bar to the rear of the bus and attached to the front of another bus, bus towing a bus to transport to Florida or Texas. It was strange looking and looked dangerous to me but they moved a few buses that way with supposedly no incidents. The buses were going to eventually be sent to central America is what we were told later.

• Confused 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Clean out about 6 rows of seats and you could haul 6 or 8 wheel horses with a ramp out the back.

Easily.  And add a composting toilet. Instant camper too.  

We've thought about it. 

• Like 3

JAinVA

School bus  guilotine.  There needs to be an under run bumper on school buses. They are required on trailers and trucks. If I am stopped behind a school bus I always turn the steering wheel to the right. Get rear ended and you don't get shoved under the bus.The last accident here in VA a truck hit the back end of a car with a school bus stopped to dislodge students. The first responders  didn't realize that there were fatalities until the wreckers separated the  vehicles  Two ladies behind the bus were decapitated..

Edited by JAinVA
  • Sad 5

WHX??

Just ain't right in the head! Must you really give him ideas @BOB ELLISON!?!?  He starts bleeding during cocktail hour I ain't takin him in! 

• Haha 6

adsm08

Just get one of the class 5 to class 2 adapters and weld that thing to the bumper.

• Like 1

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

New hauler?

6.7 Cummins, Allison auto.  Sounds bullet proof!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Easily.  And add a composting toilet. Instant camper too.  

We've thought about it. 

Add a permanent bathroom (as much as a Johnny seat on a bucket and a shower curtain wall) and a permanent bed, it can be titled as a motor home.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6

oliver2-44

When I was in high school a welder down the street did a full RV conversion on one.  He closed off some side windows at the rear for a bedroom and installed a made a platform off the rear bumper for a generator and butane bottles. He worked at a gravel pit and they would buy school buses and use the engine and transmission in 5 yard dump trucks. 

• Like 1

Handy Don

PLENTY of great YouTubes and articles about conversations from down and dirty to luxe and elegant. Even a couple out there on AirBNB. Budgets rule (time and money!)

• Like 1

cafoose
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

New hauler?

I thought about that myself :eusa-think: Gas mileage sucks

image.png.6f6343dfcbf9b33638dfbf4dcd7f6386.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19richie66

They use old school busses here for picking produce/tobacco. Cut them off about six feet behind driver seat and move the rear door forward. Put boxes of whatever they are growing on the “flatbed”. 

8ntruck

I'd take a good look at the way the back bumper is attached before attaching as hitch to it.  My neighbor runs the local school bus garage.  He told me a story of how they hitched a chain to the rear bumper of a stuck bus and proceeded to pull the bumper off instead of getting the bus unstuck.  Turns out that the attachment bolt holes in the bumper were horizontal slots while the frame brackets were vertical slots.  Not an arrangement to be towing with.

ri702bill

Looks to have good potential. As a teenager in the early 1970's, I was part of a crew that ran a local paved short track stock car. Two of the other teams had converted School buses - one had 6 or 7 rows of seats removed and the body cut with the rear panel moved forward and exposed ramps over the rear tires. The other was a bit more interesting - 6 or 7 rows of seats removed, but the body was not shortened. Instead, they converted the rear panel into swinging doors - the Race Car sat inside the bus on ramps on the floor.

Bill

• Like 3

Achto
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

Add a permanent bathroom (as much as a Johnny seat on a bucket and a shower curtain wall) and a permanent bed, it can be titled as a motor home.

Read trough your regulations good. In WI 50% of the bus must be living quarters in order to be considered a motor home. Title as a motor home and NO CDL required.:thumbs2:

If you have converted the school bus to a motor home, in addition to sleeping and dining areas, the vehicle must have at least four of the following permanently installed life support systems as outlined in Wisconsin Trans 137.03(6) – Motor home definition/requirements:

• A potable (drinkable) water supply including faucet and sink that is self-contained or connects to an external water supply
  • Ice box or refrigerator
  • Self-contained toilet
  • Cooking facilities
  • 100-125 volt electric power source and/or LP gas
  • Heating and/or air conditioning

Been doing a little research on these myself. From what I've read stay away from the new International engines as they have issues, stick with a Cummins or Volvo engine.

Edited by Achto

squonk

Buy more than 1. You will be able to store more stuff around your house for a rainy day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

My last job they gave us one of those shortbusses to make a HVAC service van out of. Lots of room, we had a workbench, compressor, pipe vise in there plus you could stand up in the thing to put you coveralls on in the winter. 35,000 miles. It was a complete toilet. First it was a Ford. Diesel couldn't get out of it's own way. Brakes failed 3 times and the battery cables literally fell off going down the road! 

953 nut
8 hours ago, cafoose said:

Gas mileage sucks

I don't think @pullstart plans to stop every few hundred feet to pick up little children.  :confusion-confused:  If he did he would probably be arrested!  :ph34r:

• Haha 4

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I don't think @pullstart plans to stop every few hundred feet to pick up little children.  :confusion-confused:  If he did he would probably be arrested!  :ph34r:

No kids... but I might find a way to make an “ice cream truck like” tune for the Horses to come out to the road and get picked up!  :lol:

• Haha 3

Pullstart
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

My last job they gave us one of those shortbusses to make a HVAC service van out of. Lots of room, we had a workbench, compressor, pipe vise in there plus you could stand up in the thing to put you coveralls on in the winter. 35,000 miles. It was a complete toilet. First it was a Ford. Diesel couldn't get out of it's own way. Brakes failed 3 times and the battery cables literally fell off going down the road! 

We had a family friend who stored his bus conversion at my FIL’s place a long time ago.  We were able to use it for the price of free storage.  It got a pretty solid 8 mpg, with top speed of about 57 mph.  It had a big Detroit Diesel V8, non-turbo.  Total dog.  I imagine a 6.7 with something like 350 hp and 610 lb/ft. of torque will change that a bit.

• Like 2