Pullstart

Funny. No hitch.

Pullstart

We need a cool paint job too.  

2BE33367-37E4-4B7A-B6AA-8A6BB389A860.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

5 pages of joking aside, this bus as a toy hauler is kind of sadly becoming a reality.  We have had an actual toy hauler on order, since February.  Since then, it’s been delayed from May to August, then September, then our SIGNED CONTRACT order form for $53,995 somehow became null and the dealer demanded an extra $10,000 to confirm with the manufacturer to build it.  I wish I could understand how legal binding contracts can now be understood as simply an assumption now that “there was a pandemic.”  Grr.  On top of that, the soonest they can guess delivery is November 3 but likely later.  It’s ok folks, they swear they haven’t made any interest on my hard earned dollars in 6 months!  Well, after barking up the tree at the dealer, then them voluntarily cancelling my order with KZ, it sounds like our dream Sportster 353TH13 has become a nightmare.  Well, a cancelled nightmare.  We placed a $7,500 deposit on the camper to place the order, so that’s on the way back to us.  KZ RV and Veurinks RV center can both kiss my sweaty behind.  Ultimately, I believe that $7,500 and my sweat equity can make this bus into one sweet ride.  If that’s the case, we’ll have a totally paid off skoolie toy hauler and then we’ll decide if we should keep or sell our current camper for non-tractor events.  I have a few odds and end jobs to finish here and there, then a fairly blank slate for fall and winter.  Stay tuned, tractor projects might have to take a rain check for a while, but they’ll get to shows in style hopefully by next spring!  Let project “Rivet” officially begin soon!  Maybe we’ll have a race to see which Collossus project finishes first! :ROTF:

For reference, here is a nice walk through video of what we were hoping for, and a floor plan.  I’d like to see how close to this I can get, maybe even with slide outs!  I’ll be shopping at the surplus RV stores near the Michigan/Indiana border, maybe even for air over hydraulic landing gear, slide outs, and whatnot.

9B3B1C02-D197-486A-A0D1-825145F791A0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20210827-113857_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Maybe we’ll have a race

:ROTF::ROTF:

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are. That's funny right there.

~Larry the Cable Guy...

I've got nearly a 2-year head start on you and I'd be willing to bet you finish before me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Think it was mentioned keep an eye out for newer model RV's that got damaged. and totaled by insurance co. Might be lots of cheap savable stuff on one.... tanks, controls,  appliances etc..... 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Think it was mentioned keep an eye out for newer model RV's that got damaged. and totaled by insurance co. Might be lots of cheap savable stuff on one.... tanks, controls,  appliances etc..... 

Not sure if you guys have them out there ... we have Habitat For Humanity ReStore here. 

New and used donations of building materials.

That would be where I would look for appliances and bathroom stuff like a shower cassette for instance.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger
45 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Kevin:  You are one state away from the motherload of used RV parts and appliances , etc.   Elkhart , Indiana has a number of used RV parts sellers and salvage yards.  

https://www.rverscorner.com/indiana.html

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

squonk

Might as well go all out if you got the time! 

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
22 hours ago, pullstart said:

I believe that $7,500 and my sweat equity can make this bus into one sweet ride.  If that’s the case, we’ll have a totally paid off skoolie toy hauler

Kevin, with your skill set and tenacity I have no doubt you can pull together a great toy hauler with everything the big boys offer and then some.                :woohoo:                                                            :wwp:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

And probably built a whole lot better.

See the source image

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

A little video update…

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20210829-102000_Facebook.jpg

Pullstart
57 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Screenshot_20210829-102000_Facebook.jpg

1800 lbs over Norman’s max GVWR…. The lovely thing about the 353TH13 was it’s max GVWR, being 13,995 I believe.  Norman’s max is 15,000.

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20210829-112255_Facebook.jpg.1325c4ec1d413cd856ec3e3a21c1739a.jpg

19richie66

I could do a lot to that bus with 59k. Of course I’m thrifty :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

squonk
32 minutes ago, pullstart said:

1800 lbs over Norman’s max GVWR…. The lovely thing about the 353TH13 was it’s max GVWR, being 13,995 I believe.  Norman’s max is 15,000.

Once you put tractors and junk in it you're over anyway. Put a tag axle on the bus! That overhang will get hung up on something somewhere! :)

Pullstart
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Once you put tractors and junk in it you're over anyway. Put a tag axle on the bus! That overhang will get hung up on something somewhere! :)

Toy Hauler GVWR is based on the garage being full.  Like a Jeep, side by side, etc.  IF I were able (yes, I said IF) to fit 6 show tractors, I wouldn’t hit the rated max capacity.

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I could do a lot to that bus with 59k. Of course I’m thrifty :handgestures-thumbupright:

I’m hoping to stay WAY less than that.  I’ll likely keep a good record on this, for the sake of value vs cost.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Handy Don

@pullstart I watched your video from inside the bus and the fist thing I remembered was that by age 16 I was hitting my head on the ceilings of school buses.

I know you and Mrs. Pullstart (and your two other contributors) will spend a lot of time checking out what others have done, adding your own requirements, and distilling that all down to something unique, cool, appropriate, and elegant! Good luck! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

by age 16 I was hitting my head on the ceilings of school buses

Yepp me too. 

But the best part was when your spiked hair caught up in a roof seam while strolling through looking all cool. 

Ow!!!

:lol:

• Haha 4

Pullstart

We found our contract tonight.  The manufacturer has the right to change the build as they see fit (side a/c vs roof a/c… etc.) but the dealer has no right to raise the price like they tried.  I might just have to raise some cain with the dealer before we deposit their refund check.  

• Like 1

19richie66
48 minutes ago, pullstart said:

We found our contract tonight.  The manufacturer has the right to change the build as they see fit (side a/c vs roof a/c… etc.) but the dealer has no right to raise the price like they tried.  I might just have to raise some cain with the dealer before we deposit their refund check.  

In the words of the great theologian Steven Miller, “Go on, take the money and run”. I wouldn’t waste my breath on them. It’s thier loss. Move on and do what you want. I think you will be happier in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

rjg854

I agree with Richie, it's probably a good thing the deal fell through. They say when one door closes, another one opens. Bide your time, I'm sure something better will come along.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I've learned over the last few years that my happiness is worth more money than one could imagine. 

Much as I'd like to see that dealer comply with the contract or lose their shirt I'm inclined to agree with the others on "drop it". 

The dealer has clearly demonstrated they have NO desire to offer proper customer service. 

I don't necessarily want to sound nasty here but if you could convince just one person/family to buy elsewhere than that dealer you've done your job. 

Post some true honest online reviews?

Share your experience with reliable associates in the racing world?

Your frustrations and irritations are downright justified given what I can see..... But .... Your peace of mind is worth infinitely more than anything else. 

• Like 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

raise some cain with the dealer

Post your experience on social media, after a few days take the post down, clear your mind of negative thoughts and get started on the new toy hauler. Any further thought about this situation will just impede your progress.

• Like 2