ebinmaine

Craftsman wood lathe value?

ebinmaine

BBT/Trina/The Paint Department has been given the opportunity to purchase a lathe. 

It's a Craftsman model 113. 

Age is unknown. I'd guess within the last ten years?

I have no pics other than the manual. 

It's in VERY good condition. 

Has a good assortment of tools. Possibly even a table. 

The person selling it is a local widow who's known to us and been very kind. 

We've been to her yard to help out clearing up some debris.  

I believe she's sort of returning the favor by giving Trina the first dibs on it. 

We'd like to make a fair offer for both of us. 

Help me out?

IMG_20210714_181718.jpg

8ntruck

I'm not an expert on wood lathes, but a quick search on the interweb seemed to indicate that this machine is an entry level machine.  Central Machinery comparable version was advertised new for about $250.  Chisels, faceplates, chucks and other accessories  would add to the price.

Lathe alone, I'd offer $100 to $200.  With a good selection of accessories maybe double that. 

• Thanks 1

953 nut

The real value could be in the tools and accessories that come with it. This is a basic beginner type lathe that wouldn't be worth more than $ 100 by itself. If it has a four jaw chuck and some Quality (NOT Craftsman) gouges with it they would make it more interesting.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

Look at it this way, it's an entry level machine, and you're an entry level user so it would be a good fit for a few years at least.  You'll get some fun out of it.  Understand it's limitations and you won't be disappointed.

I would be inclined to suggest $150 if it's condition is as good as you say.

• Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Jeff is right on the money. Entry level machine which will get Tina making bobbins, bowls, candlesticks even pens and novelty items. There is a guy over here who makes nothing but wooden mushrooms and does a good trade on craft fairs.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Trina would LOVE a lathe! Have 2 Shopsmith Mark V's that can turn up to 36" long maybe a bit more. A Jawed chuck (ID/OD) is a great upgrade. If she really wants to get into that, sticks in my mind We've got a vintage lathe setup round here somewhere that is pulley driven and likely a much more robust unit. I'll try to locate it and get some pics. Sticks in my mind it may be a 36" with at least 6" radius. Of course like Horses it never hurts to have more than one!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Looks like it'd be a lot of fun. Check for bearing play in the headstock and the tailstock and that the motor is working ok

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Well folks we did go buy the lathe. 

Excellent condition!

We'll get some pics after it's set up. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

What an afternoon.  

We went to visit the lovely widow we've been helping out and from whom we have received some things, and also purchased some things. 

Today we picked up the lathe, a slew of it's tools, and a few other odds and ends. 

Trina had a particular space already in mind for the lathe to set. 

Took a few hours this evening to clear the area and rebuild the table a bit. 

Here's the results:

IMG_20210718_214501.jpg

IMG_20210718_214507.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine

How do you folks store your lathe tools?

I'm thinking some sort of a hanging mechanism...

WHX??

You need to talk with @formariz EB. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
Just now, WHX24 said:

You need to talk with @formariz EB. 

Excellent suggestion Jim!

WHX??

Yep Cribs @The Tuul Crib fancies himself a sliver wizard too.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Yep Cribs @The Tuul Crib fancies himself a sliver wizard too.

You're right on it this morning sir.

• Thanks 1

formariz

Before you consider using lathe you should think about the dust it is going to make. If not prepared you will have a coating of dust in the entire area on every conceivable surface. The thin invisible dust will linger in air after you cleanup and cover everything again within one hour. Personally I would build a box as part of that table behind and around the lathe encasing it on three sides and top. Top can be little longer like with an overhang even with a slight upward angle for head clearance.. You can obtain a cheap high volume dust collector at Harbor Freight and cut a hole in the back of box for the duct. A long rectangular vent reducing into the 3" collector is best This way it will draw dust along the length of box back. Since you have a window behind it you may want to explore the possibility of placing dust collector outside. A dedicated shop vac also in addition to collector next to table is a good idea to occasionally clean up area. Turning creates a lot of chips and dust.

As for tools , since you will change tools often within  the same project it is good to have them close  at hand and visible. I would build a slanted shelf under the table along the entire length and have tools lined up on that shelf. Shelf should have a narrow return on four sides like about 2" at most to keep tools from sliding off.You can also line the bottom of shelf with something like an old rug to prevent tools from rattling.That way tools are totally visible and easily reached for.While using lathe you can merely step back and immediately see the tool you need just getting it  while placing the unused one back on shelf. No need to step away from lathe to go get a tool.

Last but not least I would also install locking wheels on the entire unit. That way you can remove the entire thing for cleaning underneath it and behind it or even use it somewhere else.

If you really get into it you may want in the future to get a cyclone separator for the dust collector. This way suction is never affected by how full the bag is since bag is always clean. Similar to the set up on photo below. That set up is only for the dust created by table saw blade above table. You can see by the dust on photo that even with the most dedicated dust collection there will be dust. Now just imagine using the lathe without anything.

CB2D56E4-193D-4D43-BB18-74AA27CD90F2.jpeg.e366d157ad52c7c7d3a26bfe1230ea12.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@formariz

Excellent suggestions as always and thank you very much.

I'll be sure to show this to Trina later today.

The dust and its collection is a huge part of why we located it where it is in front of the window.

formariz
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

The dust and its collection is a huge part of why we located it where it is in front of the window.

You can also have a fan installed on window and "channeled" into the box. The box is important because it will eliminate most of the dust inside the area. I am not however a fan of blowing  dust out side. It will make a mess right out side area and if not cleaned it will star to "cake up" with moisture .

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, formariz said:

mess right out side

Definitely agreed on that. Lucky for us it's in the backyard and we can use the hose and leaf blower to just blow it away into the forest which is maybe 30 ft over.