45to70

753 transmission

45to70

Hi.

Am an old guy that just got a 753 at auction.  Know next to nothing about it and hope to get a lot of help here.  First problem is trans is stuck in gear, the gear shift lever moves but the  wheels are locked.  Can just rock it back and forth a few inches.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance

953 nut

:WRS:

Could be a simple fix, read over this thread.

• Like 2

WHX??

A 753 is a favorite model here. Well I guess any :wh: is a fav here! :lol:

You need to pull the shifer and ...well looks like Richard is a faster typer... lol. 

The dog point set screw is a bugger to get at but a long 1/8 Allen wrench helps. 

We can get you some manuals if you need. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I don’t discriminate, I like all round hoods the same!

• Like 1

Achto

31 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

The dog point set screw is a bugger to get at but a long 1/8 Allen wrench helps. 

:text-yeahthat: A previous owner cut slits in my 701 so they could bend the sheet metal back in order access the dog point screw. I don't recommend that this practice be carried out. :naughty: 

• Like 3

rjg854

I'll just say :WRS: and hope that your problem is an easy fix.

WHX??

It might be just as simple as two gears at once. Pull the shifter and look for the H pattern. Use a longer screwdriver to move the forks to try and get the H. 

• Like 1

45to70

Thanks for the info.............don't know if I will be able to get at it today as am up to my rear end in alligators right now.  Its still sitting on the back of my deuce & 1/2, am really looking forward to getting her in the garage and playing with her. .   Bought it because have always liked the looks of these old horse's.  Yeah, it pretty crusty, but then so am I.

Thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

45to70

Am going to flush out the trans while am at it.  How much gear oil does it take?

• Like 1

Pullstart
54 minutes ago, 45to70 said:

Am going to flush out the trans while am at it.  How much gear oil does it take?

1-1/2 to 2 qts in the transmission.  You can fill it right through the shifter hole if you get good at pulling it out :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

Drain the oil and see what it looks like if it's miky in color water has gotten into it so not a bad idea to flush it with diesel or kerosene. Refill through the shifter lever hole if possible.  About a  Qt and 1/2 or up to the plug hole on the back left side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45to70

Got It....................Thanks

rjg854

:WRS:  There is a hump in the center of the transmission, while draining it, raise the front of the tractor as high as you can to get all the fluid out, especially the diesel fuel.

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:It helps flushing if you can get her running and drive it around abit.

Did anyone mention we like :text-coolphotos:

45to70

Well that did the trick.......she rolls now............trans has diesel in it..........am going to need some seals as its coming out of the wheel hubs.  At least now can get it off the truck.   Looked like mud inside the gear box.  Have not tried to get it running yet.

thanks again and know I'll be back with lots more questions.

Edited by 45to70
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
9 minutes ago, 45to70 said:

know I'll be back with lots more questions.

Glad we  could help.... Ask away! :)

Some times it will leak out in back of the hubs since it's much thinner than 80/90. One thing you will want to do is jack up the rear and check the outboard wheel bearings. Move the wheel up and down and back and forth. there should be a little movement but no more than say 1/16".  The seals can be replaced from the outside if no movement. Also check the tightness of the hub set screw and the condition of the keyway while you are back there. If the shifter boot is shot replace it ..... that's how water got in there. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

The shift rails in these early horses can have a suction problem when shifting fast (usually from 2nd to reverse or vise versa).  In other words, when shifting fast from reverse to 2nd, the shifter leaves one shift rail fork and grabs the other.  If there is enough suction, the vacated shift rail fork can get sucked back and then you are in 2 gears at the same time.  The only quick fix is to do what you did. 

To help to not have this happen, never shift without coming to a complete stop.  Do not shift fast, take your time and use a deliberate "H" pattern.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW...Welcome to Red Square.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

45to70

Rodger, Willco..got it off the deuce, put a new battery in it and gas of course, checked the oil,...............and she fired up with a short blast of starting fluid and the dies, but then noticed its got no throttle cable and the air filter is filthy............will hit it again tomorrow...........it surprised the heqq out of me that she ran.

many thanks

Al

• Excellent 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, 45to70 said:

..it surprised the heqq out of me that she ran.

Doesn't us AL .... many a Kohler that sat for years has started right up for us. My 753 sat for at least 6 years but fired right up with minor love. Buddy Dan's @Achto 753  prolly sat for 10 years or better and we had her singing inside of an hour... topless and all! :lol:

May be I so bold as to suggest a quick carb cleaning, fuel lines & filter. 

Also go easy on the sniffing salts, they can wash cylinder walls of oil. Switch to choke cleaner if she is stubborn. 

20190605_184914.jpg

20190605_184815-1.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

45to70
37 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Doesn't us AL .... many a Kohler that sat for years has started right up for us. My 753 sat for at least 6 years but fired right up with minor love. 

May be I so bold as to suggest a quick carb cleaning, fuel lines & filter. 

Also go easy on the sniffing salts, they can wash cylinder walls of oil. Switch to choke cleaner if she is stubborn. 

Rodger!