lynnmor

Spotted Lantern Devils

lynnmor

Sprayed this tree yesterday, now this is today's hatch:

IMG_2426.JPG.727ca96e3dcb3c3f8428a8419fab0f03.JPG

• Sad 5

Ed Kennell

I hope they are not close to any living areas.    The sticky residue they are reported to leave must really make a mess.

tunahead72

"Spotted Lantern Devils" indeed, one of the most disgusting creatures known to man.  Every stage of their development is like some alien creature sent down to spread terror over the land.  We've had them near us for 4 or 5 years now, being close to Berks County where I believe they were first noticed.

@lynnmor What kind of tree is that?

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

What kind of tree is that?

From what I see in the pic it looks like it could be an invasive species in itself:

Tree of Heaven Invasive Species Profile

The tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima), also known as Chinese sumac, copal-tree, stink tree, and varnish tree, is a problematic exotic invasive species in Iowa (edit, comment added: not only Iowa, they're everywhere! this is from Iowa State University website). It is often confused with sumac; however, the tree of heaven can be distinguished by the foul odor it emits.

Tree of heaven produces many seeds, grows extremely quickly, and can out-compete native plants. It can rapidly take over a site and form dense thickets. Tree of heaven is also known to produce allelochemicals that prevent other plants from growing around it.

But it could also be a regular SUMAC which is not invasive.

But then there's this which leads me to believe that is IS a T of H and should be destroyed, along with all the offspring that are most likely invading the landscape nearby:

http://centralpaforest.blogspot.com/2018/09/identifying-tree-of-heaven-and-native.html

image.png.2a7a9c031266d399824e2733636897e4.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

@lynnmor What kind of tree is that?

Yep, it is a sumac.  The wild grape vines also attracts them.  If it weren’t so hot and humid I would have the affected trees and vines on the burn pile. I did spray with flying insect killer and used wasp & hornet spray for those up high, it took care of most of them.

I’m gonna take that back, I’m down here in the woods and now believe that it is tree of heaven now that I have done some research.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Ever try making tea?

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/making_sumac_tea

No, I lived with my grandmother and she always insisted that it was poison, and that from a person that ate wild mushrooms.

• Haha 3

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

No, I lived with my grandmother and she always insisted that it was poison, and that from a person that ate wild mushrooms.

My Grandmother always told us that Whiskey was poisonous.

One time she took a worm, dropped it in the bottle of whiskey and it shriveled and died.

She asked; "Does this teach you anything about drinking whiskey?"

"Yes Gramma, if I drink lots of whiskey, I'll never have worms!"

My dear old friend "Mac" (R.I.P. Mac!) was a wild mushroom collector.  He was rushed to the hospital on two occasions in the 15 years I knew him.  One time it caused him to miss a band gig! (the mushrooms aren't what 'got' him though).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Thats regular or "staghorn" sumac....not poisonous, but chiggers do like to hang out in the red tops!

Poison Sumac is a different critter:

Poison Sumac: Toxicity and Identification

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

chiggers

Oh... them nasty little buggers!  Man, talk about ITCH!  Holy Chitty !  and for like WEEKS afterward!

Wheel Horse 3D

Also Staghorn sumac usually has a furry "bark" in the newer growth portion of the plant, The older bark is a dark gray, that first picture doesn't look quite right for sumac.

SPINJIM

I put sticky tape around a large tulip poplar this morning.  Here's a picture of it after 6 hours.  Best to kill them now, rather than after they sprout wings.   They will get into your hair, your car vents, and everywhere that you don't want them.   Most insecticides just make them jump.   Research the internet to find them ones that have residual killing power.

P1011102 (1).JPG

• Sad 2

lynnmor

What threw me off was the fact that there was sumac in that area for all my life.  Also, the descriptions mentioned the serrations on the leaflet edges and it turns out that both have some bumps, just different.

So I guess that it is indeed tree of heaven (hell?), and that comes from, you guessed it, China.  Perhaps they wanted to send food along with their bugs. :ranting:

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I guess that it is indeed tree of heaven

The sure ID is the fact that the tree has terrible 'body odor' when you crush the leaves.

Wheel Horse 3D

The tree of heaven doesnt have serrations on the individual leaves just a couple lobes at the base of each.IMG_1566%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Wheel Horse 3D

very nice identification guide Jeff has there!

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

very nice identification guide Jeff has there!

Problem is that when I go outside, the damn lantern devils think that I'M a T of H !  Maybe I should shower more often?

• Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

The sumac and walnut have a similar smell to the leaves(ya know like a green wallnut hull)

Ed Kennell

Bads news.    I just went out to pick the first blackberrys.     The flys are all over them.

102_3293.JPG.021dfa4758e6fc92dec7773885b403d3.JPG

• Sad 3

Wheel Horse 3D

Man I'm glad to not be seein those 'round here!

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Bads news.    I just went out to pick the first blackberrys.     The flys are all over them.

When I sprayed the suckers it was right over my best stand of wineberrys making them inedible.  :angry-steamingears:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I also can never recall seeing a "stand" or thicket of sumac. usually in well spaced clumps of 2 or 3. They like open sunshine.

tunahead72
1 hour ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Man I'm glad to not be seein those 'round here!

Best not to be too complacent about them, they're spreading.  I forget where exactly, but I do remember seeing sticky tape similar to what Jim showed on trees at one of the rest areas on an interstate in West Virginia a couple of years ago (probably I-81?).  They were just starting to study the spread back then, I'm sure there's more data now, I just haven't kept up.

seuadr

i had never heard of these before now. 

it looks like they have made it to michigan - the dept of ag found dead adults .. i'll have to keep an eye out.

• Sad 1

tom2p

have not seen spotted lanternfly - yet - but I'm wondering if they are around ... something took out a tulip poplar at one edge of our property (?)

we are dealing with a big pest issue now - woolly adelgid 

I've planted around 50-60 Canadian hemlocks over the past 25 years - most on or near property lines 

the hemlocks grew well and looked great - but now we are in danger of losing them  (white residue from woolly adelgid evident) ... one tree now gone (pic below)

36AE836B-16BF-4DD1-AB6D-5102B3CC2005.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1