Snoopy11

Wheel Horse L-157 Race tractor value

Snoopy11

Howdy guys!

I was just wondering, for curiosity sake, if anyone knows around what the value of my tractor is? I don't know if anyone who has seen the build on my tractor can comment, but I would appreciate it!

Sorry guys, in the middle of posting my question, and my power went out... someone must not want me to ask it... :ph34r:

Anyhow... I asked a farm machinery place near me, and the ...less than brilliant... lady there was not very helpful, throwing out a value that I don't believe. 

I am not thinking about selling at the moment, just valuation... and knowing what it is worth in case I do decide to sell it. (but, if anyone on Wheel Horse forums are interested, I can't say I wouldn't consider an offer... LOL).

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

rmaynard

Pictures will help.

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11

I did recently add the electric start, which is not documented in the pictures, but is in the below video.

Some background on the build... 

Duromax 457 cc engine dyno-tested by ARC racing at 51 horsepower. ARC Billet rod, forged crankshaft, stainless pushrods, 10,000 rpm flywheel, hot cam from dyno cams with valve springs, custom made header and air filter adapter, Mikuni carburator, midwest super cub throttle petal, 2 inch trans pulley, etc... etc... etc...

P.S. I also made a custom exhaust stack that you see in the picture where the dozer blade is on the tractor... I no longer run that.... but it is the only picture I have of the tractor with the blade on it. 

That just scratches the surface... but enough to say... this thing is pretty awesome... :happy-jumpeveryone:

Don

100_0979.JPG

100_0952.JPG

100_0950.JPG

100_0954.JPG

100_0955.JPG

100_0956.JPG

100_0978.JPG

100_0979.JPG

100_0872.JPG

• Like 1

edgro

A lot of times it seems when you build something custom it ends up being worth about half of what you spend to build it

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
35 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I don't really think anyone will give me nearly the money I have put into it... 

Only once have I actually gotten more money for than I've put into the 20-odd project cars I've ever bought and sold.  Not including my time spent.  If I paid myself minimum wage that would mean never have I made a profit.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Dirty Dingus Magee

i'm curious....when you say Race Tractor do you mean you race it some sanction races?  they race tractors with the snow plow on?

953 nut

Perhaps @fast88pu can give you some idea on where to market it and the value.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
13 hours ago, Dirty Dingus Magee said:

i'm curious....when you say Race Tractor do you mean you race it some sanction races?  they race tractors with the snow plow on?

I have never raced this tractor, and do not plan to. BUT, the tractor is fully built with a racing engine and racing parts. My engines are complete racing packages, much different than any other crate motor you can buy on the market.

My Tillotson engines are race oriented, and my Duromax has been gutted with racing parts. 

Thanks,

Don

edgro

I had not heard of Duromax before, would this be what they call a clone engine, im guessing similar to what is used on snowblowers and wood chippers?

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, edgro said:

I had not heard of Duromax before, would this be what they call a clone engine, im guessing similar to what is used on snowblowers and wood chippers?

Yes sir. I know that RedBeard's Garage on Youtube does a lot of builds on these engines.

They make pretty darn good generators and engines. The only problem is, ARC Racing does not make parts specifically for this engine, (they make them for predator 420), so you have to make everything work. With one of these engines and racing parts, you know the build quality is meticulous...

I think the Duromax might be cheaper than predator, but I could be wrong. 

I purchase the 457cc version... (not that 457 matters with my modifications... LOL)

If you put Duromax into the search bar of Amazon, you will see a whole bunch of their engines for sale, including a v twin!!!

Don

stevasaurus

You know guys, it has been a long time since I have seen the rudeness, like this, given to a member asking a question on this forum.  I see no call for it and it certainly does not help further the thread.  :angry-tappingfoot:

Don, I cleaned up the spam in your thread and moved it here.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Actually, I can see myself riding around the Big Show on that horse.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Sad 1

Jeff-C175

I don't understand how someone can not simply appreciate the "Zoom Factor", as the late great Brock Yates called it, in Snoopy's build.

Or maybe the "Zoom Factor" is actually a gene that some don't possess?

• Heart 1

Snoopy11
20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Don, I cleaned up the spam in your thread and moved it here.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Actually, I can see myself riding around the Big Show on that horse.  

Maybe in years to come, I'll show up at that big show with my little tractor...!!!

Thanks, Steve, for you help and for being a moderator... not always easy, but very apprecaited!

Don

Snoopy11
20 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I don't understand how someone can not simply appreciate the "Zoom Factor", as the late great Brock Yates called it, in Snoopy's build.

Or maybe the "Zoom Factor" is actually a gene that some don't possess?

You know what else is odd... no one appreciates the fact that this thing was a complete rust bucket, blown engine, no seat, no steering wheel... broken hood that had been eaten by battery acid, clutch mechanism was bad, transmission full of water and rusty sludge...

On top of being over 60 years old,

Now looks about as close to brand new as it can get, raising hell every time it fires-up, pulling, moving, hauling... and flying when I ask it to.

That, coupled with an engine that brings some serious hell behind it.

I mean, I know that people are used to L-157 tractors being gutless and undersized... but until you physically see what this thing can do, you only know what I show you. YOU SHOULD SEE IT IN PERSON!!!:banana-linedance:

Don

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

You know what else is odd... no one appreciates the fact that this thing was a complete rust bucket, blown engine, no seat, no steering wheel... broken hood that had been eaten by battery acid, clutch mechanism was bad, transmission full of water and rusty sludge...

On top of being over 60 years old,

Now looks about as close to brand new as it can get, raising hell every time it fires-up, pulling, moving, hauling... and flying when I ask it to.

That, coupled with an engine that brings some serious hell behind it.

I mean, I know that people are used to L-157 tractors being gutless and undersized... but until you physically see what this thing can do, you only know what I show you. YOU SHOULD SEE IT IN PERSON!!!:banana-linedance:

Don

But, but, but... oh my!  It's NOT RED!  ;):ychain:

4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

YOU SHOULD SEE IT IN PERSON!!!

I don't just wanna LOOK, I wanna TOUCH!  (Larry David show)  and drive it too!  Let's see, NJ to IN, what's that about 12 hours?  See ya tomorrow sometime!  :beer:

• Heart 2

Gregor

If I were  a smart person, I would probably leave this alone. There in lies the problem.

I don't believe I was rude or disrespectful in my answer. In fact, I thought I found a very tactful way to convey the fact  that the tractor as is, would be worth very little to me, but might be worth thousands to some guy across town. If I had given an actual $ value to me, THAT might have been construed as rude.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
On 7/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, Snoopy11 said:

Howdy guys!

I was just wondering, for curiosity sake, if anyone knows around what the value of my tractor is?

Don, I see mine was one of the replys that was removed due to being rude.   My apologies to you if you took it this way. 

My statement was based on my experience of buying and selling around 50 tractors over the past 20 years.

Most were bought as rollers and sold as workers for a small profit. ( if you do not add in any labor)

Several were totally restored and were sold for about half of what I had in them for parts, weld wire, abrasives, paint, decals, etc.

I have also built a custom that I still have and can appreciate the time and expense you have invested in your custom.

I commend everyone that saves these tractors from the scrappers and puts them back to work, restores them, builds a custom, or even if they are parted out and used to save other tractors.

So, based on my experience, I stand by my previous  answer to your question on a custom value.  You are lucky to get back half of what you have invested in a custom or restored tractor.

• Thanks 2

Zeek

I have sold a few high dollar tractors over the years including a Cub puller that a guy drove from Canada to PA get. I agree with some others, doesn't really matter the dollars that are in it as much as the final product and what you do with it (show/pull/work/play/custom). I'd call yours a custom build for sure. It's not really set up for pulling, but someone could probably do that with a little work. It's tough for all of us to put a price on that. It's more about what it's worth to you. I'd post it with a price you think is fair. If it sells great. If not leave it sit a little, someone may come along. If not, lower it little by little until the right person decides it's for them. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
23 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

But, but, but... oh my!  It's NOT RED!  ;):ychain:

I don't just wanna LOOK, I wanna TOUCH!  (Larry David show)  and drive it too!  Let's see, NJ to IN, what's that about 12 hours?  See ya tomorrow sometime!  :beer:

You must have taken a wheel horse instead of your car, Jeff... it's been 23 hours and you aren't here yet...!

Oh, speak of the devil... here you are... 

Chicago's Dreadhead Cowboy rides horse on Dan Ryan Expressway, faces 3  charges from Illinois State Police - ABC7 Chicago

Don

• Haha 2

Snoopy11

Add this to the pictures of my tractor... as it exemplifies its attitude...

Free photo Emotion Comic Yellow Emoji Emoticon Funny Smiley - Max Pixel

Don

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I have sold a few high dollar tractors over the years including a Cub puller that a guy drove from Canada to PA get. I agree with some others, doesn't really matter the dollars that are in it as much as the final product and what you do with it (show/pull/work/play/custom). I'd call yours a custom build for sure. It's not really set up for pulling, but someone could probably do that with a little work. It's tough for all of us to put a price on that. It's more about what it's worth to you. I'd post it with a price you think is fair. If it sells great. If not leave it sit a little, someone may come along. If not, lower it little by little until the right person decides it's for them. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yeah, I think I could sit it out at the end of my driveway with a price, and it would probably sell maybe within the day... particularly with all the people who already stop and ask if it is for sale...

I almost want to ask some of them.... does it LOOK like it has a for-sale sign on it...? Arched Eyebrow | Funny emoticons, Emoji pictures, Funny emoji faces

Don

Wild Bill in VA

The only way to get a top dollar figure is to put the tractor up for auction with a reserve price, then let two people who want the tractor fight over it with money.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA