kawimaniac2145

engine surging

kawimaniac2145

i have talked on here before and am having a problem with my onan p220g surging. i cant seem to figure it out. i rebuilt the carb once already, and cleaned it more than 5 times and is clean but is still surging here is a link to my youtube video. 

kawimaniac2145

thanks in advance

lynnmor

Is the 3/8” Welch plug in place that is just above the idle mixture screw?  Did you remove it to clean behind it?  Did you adjust the idle mixture?  Did you adjust the float as shown in the manual?  Is the float in good condition?  Are the linkages in the proper holes?

WheelHorse520H

I have a similar problem, you could try to spray brake cleaner around the gaskets on the intake and if it changes pitch then you have air entering at a seam. Here is the link to the thread I started for the same problem. Link.

Andrew

Jeff-C175
44 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

spray brake cleaner around

Brake cleaner not for me.  That stuff is nasty.  Takes paint off.  Use starting fluid instead.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

Some brake cleaners are non-flammable and they will not prove anything if used.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

carb cleaner is the best to use.

• Like 2

kawimaniac2145

If y’all are talking about spraying stuff on the intake to see if you have blow by I don’t. I just don’t know what to do next should I put that welsh plug-in would that help

Jeff-C175
28 minutes ago, kawimaniac2145 said:

to see if you have blow by I don’t

Not 'blow by', but rather a vacuum leak.  That's a different thing than blow by.

Those Onan intake manifolds are known to leak between the two halves of the manifold.

Are the shafts on the throttle plate, and the holes in the carb where the shaft runs in tight?  Could be sucking air there also.  Might need to install bushings in them.

• Like 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, kawimaniac2145 said:

If y’all are talking about spraying stuff on the intake to see if you have blow by I don’t. I just don’t know what to do next should I put that welsh plug-in would that help

You spray to see if the stuff is sucked in and the engine changes speed.

Don't tell me, after all of this, that you are actually trying to run it with the welch plug out.  :confusion-confused:

kawimaniac2145

Will putting in the welsh plug in help the running

• Confused 1

Tuneup

Hey there, Mr. Kawi (I had a KZ650 once)...

That plug covers a small reservoir that is key to the idle circuit. My 16's was missing when I got the tractor and did exactly as yours. That circuit also impacts the tractor in mid-range with these carbs. Get that carb off and replace replace the plug. Take that opportunity to go through the carb and adjust it properly. The float set especially.

lynnmor
11 hours ago, kawimaniac2145 said:

Will putting in the welsh plug in help the running

On June 11 I mentioned the welch plug.

kawimaniac2145

update: i am trying to source out a 3/8" welsh plug. and nappa didn't have it, my local hardware store didn't have it. and jackssmallengines.com had them. i types in welsh plug. and they had them. but didn't label it as 3'8 under specs. so i am going to try my local small engine repair shop. and another online places. i will keep you updated.

kawimaniac2145

if yall can find one. and send me a link i would appreciate it.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, kawimaniac2145 said:

i types in welsh plug

Try spelling it with a C instead of an S; i.e.  WELCH  plug

I think you want ALUMINUM for use in your carburetor, yes?

(although it appears that Mrs. Google will fix that for you anyway, so never mind)

image.png.59bd64367fbac7ad1f7fdcc38799ec73.png

By the way,  if you can get your finger to cover the hole safely while the engine is running, it would give you a good idea if that missing plug is the culprit.

Here's one for 88 cents, otherwise there are several places that will sell a 10 pack for about a buck each.  I'm sure if you order one they're going to hit you for $10 shipping anyway!

http://www.tsracing.com/Welch-Plug-38-HL304-HL348-Tillotson-P3609.aspx

Here's their shipping rates from Bushnell, FL @Zeek  to NJ.

image.png.fb461e34d3151d5561531bbcfd370889.png

Definitely go for that "KART Shipping" !  holy crap, are they kidding?

Edited by Jeff-C175

John2189

Does it have that small anti surge spring on the carb linkage? Sometimes the hook wears off

• Like 1

kawimaniac2145
36 minutes ago, John2189 said:

Does it have that small anti surge spring on the carb linkage? Sometimes the hook wears off

yes the spring is still intact. 

kawimaniac2145
57 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

(although it appears that Mrs. Google will fix that for you anyway, so never mind)

By the way,  if you can get your finger to cover the hole safely while the engine is running, it would give you a good idea if that missing plug is the culprit.

Here's one for 88 cents, otherwise there are several places that will sell a 10 pack for about a buck each.  I'm sure if you order one they're going to hit you for $10 shipping anyway!

Here's their shipping rates from Bushnell, FL to NJ.

thanks for the link bud. that helps out alot.:happy-partydance:

kawimaniac2145
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Here's their shipping rates from Bushnell, FL to NJ.

hey bud. thanks  again i just ordered 2 thanks again for the link

4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

• Excellent 1

Zeek
On 7/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, kawimaniac2145 said:

i have talked on here before and am having a problem with my onan p220g surging. i cant seem to figure it out. i rebuilt the carb once already, and cleaned it more than 5 times and is clean but is still surging here is a link to my youtube video. 

I went through this with a Kohler Courage 26 HP. After doing exactly what you did wasting hours of my time, I finally threw the carb in the garbage and got a new one from Amazon. Here's yours for $37. I put the new one on with zero adjustment and it ran like new. 

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

kawimaniac2145

that welsh plug did not help now its running rough

Tuneup

But it's running differently so that plug did something. Surge gone? The idle adjustment is very sensitive. You can get her really smooth at 1200 with a fresh filter. Mine took several adjustments until I got it right.

WheelHorse520H
6 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

But it's running differently so that plug did something. Surge gone? The idle adjustment is very sensitive. You can get her really smooth at 1200 with a fresh filter. Mine took several adjustments until I got it right.

I agree if it’s running rough then that plug did do something. And yes the idle is sensitive, did you adjust it to make the surging go away at all? That could cause it to run differently, not that I think about it though I am not sure it was cause it to run rough. Anyway if the surging is gone then you made progress, it’s like my dad always says “two steps forward and one step back”.

Andrew

kawimaniac2145

it still surges at high rpm and how do i adjust it.