Jon925mn

Deck...repair or scrap

Jon925mn

Deciding if this free deck is salvageable. Bracket has been poorly welded after breaking from deck. Is cutting this bracket off and repairing worth it? Thought about welding plates far enough out to good deck material but should I just forget it? I saved the housings which are in good shape and can be rebuilt. 

20210711_091308.jpg

20210711_091322.jpg

Digger 66

I'd fix it 

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

I'd fix it 

Me too.

• Like 1

Jon925mn

Even has broken baffles on underside with bad welds. Welding with no metal prep work never works. I was leaning towards fixing too, thanks guys.

• Like 1

Lee1977

Weld it up and provide 1/8" plates inside larger then the broken out areas. I use an 1/8" plate under the deck height adjuster as they are known to crack and rust out. 

The 42" decks are really bad about rusting out at the height adjuster.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, MNDIESEL said:

Welding with no metal prep work

It's always a good idea, even if using back up plates, to drill small holes at the ends of the cracks to relieve the tension there.  The cracks become microscopic at the ends so go a little past, maybe 1/4", the direction that the crack is traveling.  Then weld the hole shut when you do the repairs.

• Like 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, MNDIESEL said:

with bad welds

I vote fix ... nice thing about farmer welds they usually come off just about as easy as they went on. 

JimSraj

I just did a similar repair on a 5-1482 deck for my GT14. I welded an 1/8”x5”x5” plate on the underside after drilling holes at the ends of all the cracks and stitching them back together from the underside. Ground them smooth, welded plate on and then flipped it over and went over all the cracks from the top. All painted up now and It’s going back together as I have time. Fingers crossed. 

Btw, does anyone have a lift arm for that deck and tractor?

• Like 1