Retired Wrencher

Oil

Bill D
15 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Agreed.  I found this on the Amsoil website:

So based on the Blackstone analysis of the Rotella T1, one shouldn't need to add any zinc.

But there's also this:

Which tells us that "at least" 1000 ppm is OK, but going as high as, or "more than" 1400 ppm isn't bad.

So, as a user, knowing what is already in your oil it becomes necessary to understand how much zinc one might be adding with say 1-2 oz per quart of the additive.

Researching now...

Does anyone have the Blackstone numbers for Rotella T1?

Jeff-C175
11 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Does anyone have the Blackstone numbers for Rotella T1?

Yes, posted earlier.  Post #16

Edited by Jeff-C175

peter lena

very sorry to have suggested  this , its very simple to use a measuring cup to get what you want , think that I  will back away from suggesting anything , that upsets so many . do what ever you would like , pete

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

upsets so many

Who is upset?  I don't see that Peter!  Most of us seem to be in agreement with the T1 oil, and only one doesn't seem keen on the ZDDP additive.

I've shown that adding 1 oz/qt of ZDDP to T1 brings it to about 1500 ppm which is a FINE amount for our old engines.

I don't understand why you're sorry!

Edited by Jeff-C175

balconio

I've had great luck with Chevron Delo 400 SAE30. I got it pretty cheap on Amazon a couple times (like $24/gallon) but all of a sudden it's $42 for that same gallon. I've since switched to Quaker State SAE30 which is 6qts for $29. Whatever oil you use I think it's important to stick to the 25hr interval since there's no oil filter and air cooled engines can be harder on oil depending on ambient temperature, load, engine speeds etc.

Jeff-C175
10 hours ago, balconio said:

Quaker State SAE30 which is 6qts for $29

$5 a quart.  The 30W T1 is only $4 a quart.

I just stocked up.  Ordered from Wal-Mart dot com in the morning.  That afternoon a nice young lady in a Mini Cooper delivered my oil.  Free delivery! Can't beat that with a stick!

She said she is a "Door Dash" private contractor.  The 'app' they use alerts them to p/u and delivery in their area and they can claim the delivery and deliver it.  I hope she comes back, she was cute! (and I'm a dirty old man!) I'll have to order more stuff!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Mini Cooper delivered my oil! Can't beat that with a stick

Well. 

You could....

But the nice young lady might be a tad irritated. 

• Haha 1

balconio

No kidding I'll have to look into it when the quaker state is all gone. I also need to branch out and stop giving all my business to Jeff Bezos... Amazon has the T1 for $30/gallon right now but sounds like the Walton family can do better.

I really liked Rotella 15w-40 for my Yamaha XS650 back when I used to ride bikes. I thought it worked really well with the wet clutch.

Jeff-C175
16 minutes ago, balconio said:

Amazon has the T1 for $30/gallon

I saw that too and was very surprised it was that much.  My local TSC stocks it for $17, and Advance Auto for $19.  Wally has the best price I've found.

• Thanks 1

Gregor
On 7/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Retierd Wrencher said:

I have not done an video in a long time = years maybe will do that.

Ahem.... I believe we were promised a video????? :confusion-waiting: