pfrederi

Paintng lesson learned.

pfrederi

I hate painting, I don't like the prep work the sanding the runs, bugs etc. I have no show queens they all have duties that get them dirty.  I only rattle can paint for corrosion control.  One pet peeve is the plugged up nozzle.  I had a not so brilliant idea recently.  I had a small glass jar put some paint thinner in it and when i finished I put the nozzles in it.  Went to paint a bit today got one of the nozzles out went to spray and the little plug in the nozzle blew out. Paint all over.  Got out the other nozzle that had been soaking, same thing, nozzle insert blew out.   Guess soaking is not a good thing.:angry-banghead::angry-banghead::angry-banghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 4

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Guess soaking is not a good thing

As I started reading, I was thinking "hmmmm, I could do that..."

Guess I won't! :lol:

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

I usually hold the can upside down and spray until the nozzle is clear.  This usually works for me as long as I use the paint in the near future.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

pfrederi
1 minute ago, stevasaurus said:

I usually hold the can upside down and spray until the nozzle is clear.  This usually works for me as long as I use the paint in the near future.  :occasion-xmas:

I have tried that over the years but is seem to take a long time and blows out a lot of paint before it clears...

• Like 1

squonk

I soak the Rustoleum large white nozzles all the time. I have some that are several years old. I keep a couple in case a nozzle plugs up during the middle of painting. Never had a problem. :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

pfrederi
Just now, squonk said:

I soak the Rustoleum large white nozzles all the time. I have some that are several years old. I keep a couple in case a nozzle plugs up during the middle of painting. Never had a problem. :confusion-confused:

That is what it was....

IMG_0254.JPG

• Confused 1

squonk

I'm using Napa wash solvent (Lacquer Thinner. They can't call it Lacquer thinner for some reason) Maybe it's weaker than what you use? 

• Like 1

pacer

I've had .... mixed? results with soaking them. I sure never had one 'explode' like Paul! 

My best luck the past few yrs is Brake Cleaner coming on the mkt with the little 'extender' tip. that little guy will fit into the opening - yeah, its a little loose, but I have better luck with that than any other method - and its never a sure thing. Heh!, I dont think my shop could function without 3-4 cans of that stuff on hand.

Of the last 5-6 cans of Rustoleum I've got, 2 of them had NO propellent gas. As luck would have it, they were the last 2 that I went to use and several weeks had passed, so I didnt try and return them.....

JPWH

Sometimes I use 2 or more cans before I'm finished. I just pull the top of the spent can and use it on the second one. One spare to add to stock.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

formariz

I also have always kept them soaking in lacquer thinner for as far as I can remember. Never had a problem. Wonder if the cause of that was something else .

cschannuth

Some of the paint cans I use say to invert the can and press the button and that works OK. Other paint cans I’ve been using lately say to clean the tip with lacquer thinner or paint solvent. All I normally do is soak a paper towel with a solvent and I literally just rub the opening of the tip until it looks clean and it has actually been working better than I ever would’ve imagined when I come back to use the paint at a later date. It could just be dumb luck however.

• Like 1

Roger R

Noticed recently that a can of WD40 had a nozzle that looks just like one on the Rustoleum.  What do you know they interchange! Finish up painting, switch the nozzle to the WD40 can one quick shot, and you are good to go.  However as I am sure you will know not all are interchangeable.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jrain

you can 30 pack of  Aerosol nozzles off e-bay , for like $7 , you can buy them in any quantity ,  and for any specific type of brand can , also they sell male , female  or a assorted mix ,also  spray pattern desired wide , narrow , stream , and then you can go high end with Brass caps that will not clog and last forever. and you can thank your local Graffiti artist for the big market in sales of after market aerosol nozzles .  

• Like 5

Maxwell-8
12 hours ago, Roger R said:

Noticed recently that a can of WD40 had a nozzle that looks just like one on the Rustoleum.  What do you know they interchange! Finish up painting, switch the nozzle to the WD40 can one quick shot, and you are good to go.  However as I am sure you will know not all are interchangeable.

Rustoleum Smart-Straw :eusa-think: 

Solze1267

Unfortunately I don’t usually get rustoluem can but I get cans custom made from my local auto paint store. And since I have a good standing relationship with them I have them put thinner or acetone into a can for me to “clear” out any paint from the nozzles. Works like a champ but the downfall is I can only clean certain types of spray nozzles. I have cleaned them in acetone before since it dries faster it doesn’t seem to soak in as much. 

76c12091520h
On 7/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, Roger R said:

As an automotive painter by trade, I just have to mention that swapping nozzles between a paint product and a petroleum based product probably isn't a really good idea. 

• Like 2

JimSraj

What color Rustoleum are you all using for the Wheel Horse red?  

c-series don

I use sunrise red however I think for the pre 70’s models regal red.

oliver2-44

I use Regal Red with hardener on all of them

JimSraj

Thanks to the both of you. Regal red it is then since I’m working on a ‘69 5-1482 deck. 

Whats the hardener and how do you use it?

oliver2-44

I use Majic brand enamel hardener. I buy it at tractor supply. Val spar also makes a oil base enamel hardener    I follow directions on can. 

oliver2-44

I see Amazon also has it. It is a catalyst hardener. You do not want acrylic hardener

JimSraj

Than,s agin. I’ll check Tractor Supply for both paint and hardener.