WH1618speed

418-A restoration project

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, WH1618speed said:

added the chrome breather cover and muffler cover.

Not sure, but those might be standard stock.

• Like 3

OutdoorEnvy

Looks like a fun project and welcome to the forum!  You picked a good machine for restoration...that will be a really nice tractor when done!  Looking forward to the updates!

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

Looking forward to seeing the transformation.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Achto said:

Looking forward to seeing the transformation.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

JoeM

Had one a few years ago, sold it to a buddy. He still has it and it runs really good, north of 1000 hours I figure now. 

I got a good deal because the owner could not get it to run right. Said the carb had been redone several times and was screwed up. Turn out to be electrical, coil issue. 

Not sure how many were manufactured but don't see them to often.

• Like 1

953 nut

The 418-C is one tough tractor. Mine is primarily used for snow plowing but also runs my leaf blower.

101_2543.JPG.ba998dc77af0a82aded24c1e12d8b6f4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

No Chrome on 418-C originally.  had higher gearing (faster)  I didn't think it had all the idiot lights....

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

No Chrome on 418-C originally.

Were those chromed parts available from WH as 'options'?  Or I wonder if the OO had them done?

I know I've seen plenty pics depicting the chrome muffler cover.  That's what led me to believe that they came that way.  But maybe that was on the 520 ?

• Like 1

c-series don

@pfrederi correct! If you look at the wiring schematic between a 418-A and a 418-C you would be amazed how much more unnecessary wiring and idiot lights there is. It’s worth checking out and it will make you shake your head. Also zero chrome on the C model. 

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 3

WH1618speed

Right I am debating whether or not this is a 418-C or a 418-A because of the chrome, idiot lights, and no heavy duty spindles. It might be a 418-A with a 418-C hood. The serial # on the seat pan is faded off so I wouldn't know what it really is. Is there any other places where I could find out whether or not this is a -C or -A? The only thing that could possibly make it a -C is it came with a heavy-duty deck with the reinforcements around the bottom part and over the discharge chute. It makes me wonder if someone has went and swapped parts b/w two tractors. Unfortunately, if it turns out to be an -A, I have already ordered -C decals from redoyourhorse. I ordered them at the show so maybe I can still change them.

Edited by WH1618speed
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

I ordered them at the show so maybe I can still change them

Give Terry a quick call and he'll hold off a bit. 

Does sound like you have a combo tractor but either way it's a great rig.  

• Like 1

19richie66

If it has the little red lights on the dash with the test switch, it’s an “A” as the C had no dash lights, no chrome air cleaner or muffler guard. 

• Like 3

pfrederi

The 418A used M-18 Spec # 24510   The 418C used spec number 12536  Data plate circled in yellow.

spec#.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WH1618speed

Ok, thank you all for the advice I appreciated it. I got in contact with Terry and hopefully I will be able to get the right decals. It would be nice to have a hood with the louvers in it that the 418-A had but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Glad to see you restoring your WH...

I did not restore my 1994 520H per say...

I "refreshed" it.

I had a ball improving it, and I bet you will have a ball with your WH too...

Here is a before and after pic... for a little inspiration...

Screenshot_20210414-101035.png

20210508_171905.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

Love my two 418 A tractors...they are a one year only Tractor. Super nice, powerful Kohler 18 Twin...Hydros are great also. Looking forward to see your restoration completed  !!

John    :greetings-clappingyellow:

Was close to Corona last year, had to put mask on.....:unsure:

418 in Back yard NICE.jpg

418A corona bottle.jpg

Eddie Murphy Tractor.JPG

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

johnnymag3

Top Photo is a Tractor purchased from Eddie Murphy......Hence its name....   EDDIE.

A fine fellow made me license plates for all of my Tractors.....Thanks Ritchie !!!!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

c-series don

@johnnymag3 when you say Eddie Murphy do you mean like Eddie Murphy, Eddie Murphy? Probably not the Eddie Murphy I’m thinking of, I doubt that he cuts his own grass!!! 

• Haha 1

19richie66
49 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Top Photo is a Tractor purchased from Eddie Murphy......Hence its name....   EDDIE.

A fine fellow made me license plates for all of my Tractors.....Thanks Ritchie !!!!

I was looking for the name plates but haven’t seen them. Did you put them on yet?👍

• Like 1

johnnymag3
8 hours ago, c-series don said:

@johnnymag3 when you say Eddie Murphy do you mean like Eddie Murphy, Eddie Murphy? Probably not the Eddie Murphy I’m thinking of, I doubt that he cuts his own grass!!! 

Yes that Eddie Murphy........He does not mow, Ron the Caretaker does the 40 acres...Eddie just wanted it to drive up and down the Driveway to the other buildings on his property.He liked it because he was a fan in his younger days, and he was drawn to all of the chrome goodies on the 418-A. Eddie is the same in real life as you see him in the movies !!!

• Like 6

peter lena

@Horse Newbie, sweet looking unit, have you tried, rislone zinc in your oil?https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment-4405/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1DYjO6SB1A3dfHXQbFET807OgaRFBto0-fVp95eE4WgypjQPFWPeBMaAg7xEALw_wcB been adding this to all my small engines , listen to the slight idle blip , possible fuel or varnish issue, that added zinc cleaned up my engines internally , and makes them run much easier. no more milky residue in the dipstick area , dip stick looks shinny new. just my own experience , good luck with it , pete 

• Thanks 1

WH1618speed
15 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

15 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Glad to see you restoring your WH...

I did not restore my 1994 520H per say...

I "refreshed" it.

I had a ball improving it, and I bet you will have a ball with your WH too...

Here is a before and after pic... for a little inspiration...

Very nice tractor, my dad has '94 520-H with 123 original hours on it and it looks brand new and runs like new as well. Great job on the "refresh"!

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
37 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Horse Newbie, sweet looking unit, have you tried, rislone zinc in your oil?https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment-4405/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1DYjO6SB1A3dfHXQbFET807OgaRFBto0-fVp95eE4WgypjQPFWPeBMaAg7xEALw_wcB been adding this to all my small engines , listen to the slight idle blip , possible fuel or varnish issue, that added zinc cleaned up my engines internally , and makes them run much easier. no more milky residue in the dipstick area , dip stick looks shinny new. just my own experience , good luck with it , pete 

I have not tried it @peter lena...I need to adjust the chinese carb a little.

But thanks for the nudge...I'll certainly check it out !