RandyLittrell

C121 project

RandyLittrell

I think a got a decent deal for my area, $200 with the blade. 

Randy

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

gwest_ca

You bought a blade and they threw a tractor in with the deal.

Time to reverse the blade wear strip.

Garry

• Like 7

RandyLittrell
17 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

You bought a blade and they threw a tractor in with the deal.

Time to reverse the blade wear strip.

Garry

Normally, everybody in my area thinks these old tractors are worth a mint. Feels good to get a decent deal once in awhile. I didn't even bargain with him, just paid the man his money! 

Yup, blade needs a little love! 

Randy

• Like 4

RandyLittrell

Well, I got my 310 all back together and off the bench, so the C-121 went on. 

Gonna put all new tires on some nice wheels I have stashed, just have to put some paint on the fronts as I think they came off of a craftsmen. The look close enough to WH wheels to suit me, just have to make a couple of spacers. 

Pulled the fenders and tank to straighten out the fenders a bit and power wash the tank. The tank mounts were bent a bit and straighten those out as well as remove a couple of twisted off bolts for the seat mount. Took the cobbled up seat mount off and have a correct one coming off ebay. 

Pulled the OE muffler and think this one is gonna have a stack. 

Did a little repair on the PTO, adjusted it and replaced a couple of pins that were wrong. 

I think this is gonna make a handy dandy tractor, just isn't gonna be pretty for awhile. This is just a worker redo for now. 

20210708_103754.jpg

20210708_103853.jpg

20210708_103904.jpg

20210708_103925_HDR.jpg

20210708_104943.jpg

20210708_115258.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

I was able to straighten out the rear fender/tank mount and found a proper seat bracket on ebay.

Springs were bad so I cut down some old sway bars bushing I had laying around.

Also replaced the tank bushing and cutoff valve. Had to chase a few threads, but it went back together just fine.

New gas cap too. 

I think this is gonna make a good worker, just having to hold myself back from going overboard!! 

20210730_161016.jpg

20210730_161028.jpg

20210730_163145.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 5

Goldnboy

Nice repurpose of sway bar bushings I had been using rubber feet for metal chairs.

Good to see you in the garage again

Edited by Goldnboy
  • Like 2

RandyLittrell
48 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

Nice repurpose of sway bar bushings I had been using rubber feet for metal chairs.

Good to see you in the garage again

Thanks Terrie!! 

I don't even know why I have those sway bar bushings to start with, glad I was able to use them!! Probably something we didn't use on a car in the bodyshop from when I was still working. 

I probably spent too much time out there yesterday, my neck was tired by the time I got home and still hurts a bit. Got to keep going though!! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3

RandyLittrell

It didn't have an air cleaner on it when I bought it, so drug one out of the parts bin and cleaned it up and threw some paint on it. It's not perfect but good enough for a worker. 

Pulled the head and cleaned it up as well. It cleaned up fine but I wish I had my bead blaster running! Good enough for who it's for!!

I still need to flat sand the head and make sure it's not warped, but the head gasket looked fairly new and the head was loose. Gasket was not blown out, but putting a new one on anyway and I saved the old one for emergency use. I've been known to clean them up and spray them with aluminum paint and then reuse them. That is what is on my puller motor and it's milled .050.

Randy

20210915_121609.jpg

20210915_163226.jpg

20210915_163220.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

slim67
19 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

It didn't have an air cleaner on it when I bought it, so drug one out of the parts bin and cleaned it up and threw some paint on it. It's not perfect but good enough for a worker. 

Pulled the head and cleaned it up as well. It cleaned up fine but I wish I had my bead blaster running! Good enough for who it's for!!

I still need to flat sand the head and make sure it's not warped, but the head gasket looked fairly new and the head was loose. Gasket was not blown out, but putting a new one on anyway and I saved the old one for emergency use. I've been known to clean them up and spray them with aluminum paint and then reuse them. That is what is on my puller motor and it's milled .050.

Randy

20210915_121609.jpg

20210915_163226.jpg

20210915_163220.jpg

That paint job looks pretty damn good to me. Id like to see your perfect one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

The 310 looks sad without the black grill.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
30 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The 310 looks sad without the black grill.

It's an 85 and came that way, still original paint. Only year to do so I think. 

Randy

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Got some new shoes and weights mounted up for the worker. Outside is around 63 and inside 26 = my son has to put them on for me!!!

I know I should have painted the outside weights, but they are some damn heavy I just wanted to get them on!! 

Hope to get the beast down off the bench in a next couple of weeks or so, I'm kinda slow getting stuff done!

20211011_144923.jpg

• Like 5

RandyLittrell

She is back on the ground and looking more like a tractor again, still have things to finish up and but thought they would be easier on the floor. We cut 6 inches off the legs on the workbench to make it a better height and put my son's CC 784 up on it so we can get started on it. 

20211123_130829.jpg

• Like 4

kpinnc
On 7/30/2021 at 8:38 PM, RandyLittrell said:

I think this is gonna make a good worker, just having to hold myself back from going overboard!! 

I always say that!

And have 3 currently in a state of semi-completedness... Dunno if that's a word or not, but hope you understand anyway! 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
19 hours ago, kpinnc said:

you understand anyway! 

Oh, I understand!! I have ruined some cars when I was young by blowing them all apart and that is all the further I got!!!

Randy

RandyLittrell

Got back to work on the 121, I always have too many things going on at once!! 

Got the head back on and torqued down and installed some solid motor mounts. Those were not the easiest to do by myself, but I got it done. 

Had to use some seat springs from a cab cadet and drill two holes to match up to the new seat, but it works and will still adjust! 

I have two carbs to rebuild too. 

20221121_091714.jpg

20221121_092342.jpg

• Like 5

Blasterdad
On 6/23/2021 at 11:49 AM, RandyLittrell said:

20210623_095227.jpg

Poor thing, they even painted the light bulbs, :( Some people shouldn't play with paint, Lol

She's looking much better!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

they even painted the light bulbs, :( Some people shouldn't play with paint, Lol

Some things are funny "ha ha" but other are funny "sad". This is definitely the latter.

• Like 1

953 nut
23 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Got the head back on and torqued down

:text-yeahthat:             Remember to retorque the head after it has been run at normal operating temperature and cooled off.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Made a little more progress today, reinstalled the engine tins, and put a new plug and coil on as well.

Now for the fun part, the wiring is hacked and you couldn't even shut it off when I bought it, just had to choke it till it died! 

Ordered a new ignition switch and  voltmeter to do away with the amp meter. Gonna clean all the wiring up and make it tidy and make new battery cables while I am at it. 

20221128_151134.jpg

20221128_144641.jpg

20221128_144624.jpg

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Put a new belt on tonight, the old one wasn't that bad, but might as well while I am in there. Saved the old one though. 

As much as I cussed dealing with the PTO to change the belt, it did allow me to find a broken spirol pin. Of course, I don't have the right size and it appears nobody in town does either!

I guess I will go online, couldn't find a plug wire or condensor in town either! Stopped at 3 places including the cub cadet dealer who offered to order a condensor for $36!!!

20221129_154153.jpg

20221129_161116.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Sad 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

cub cadet dealer who offered to order a condensor for $36!!!

:soapbox:    Then they get upset because people don't buy locally!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

RandyLittrell
On 11/30/2022 at 6:39 AM, 953 nut said:

Then they get upset because people don't buy locally!  

No kidding, right!!! We have 3 parts stores and a cub cadet dealer and I can never get anything local, even IF you are lucky enough to talk to a parts guy that can find the part to order!!

Randy

RandyLittrell

Could not find a 5/32" spirol roll pin in town and only way to get one online is order 50 or a hundred and then pay shipping. No way am I gonna shell out $25 for a spirol roll pin, I just put a split style roll pin which isn't right, but untill I need a bunch of something else to get over the free shipping mark or make worth it, it will have to do. 

Got my key switch and two other switches in the mail today and mocked them up, still have to wire them. 

20221201_153737.jpg

20221201_165255.jpg

20221201_180147.jpg