WheelPuke

New to forum

WheelPuke

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not new to Wheel Horse. I have been using a 414-8 for several years. My Dad’s crazy sister gave it and the manuals to him when his Craftsman tractor died. My dad and I used the tractor to keep the house going. He died a few years back and the tractor is mine now. Since I have became the owner I have been going through it making repairs and doing the neglected maintenance. I have been reading the forum here for repair solutions and trouble shooting. I figured it’s probably past due I joined to find the information I need. I continually use my 414-8 and John Deere LX176 to keep my property in order. Both are fine tractors, but have both broken down fairly often this year. In the picture is the tractor as of last week after a power wash, greasing and a fresh tour of mowing an out of control yard. 

1A0925E0-2377-47E5-A2BE-4AF449F3ED72.jpeg

5F16629D-A518-4CAB-818D-7767EFAE9CB8.jpeg

76C1E1C6-A17E-4A90-9FE5-A3CA9E1BE454.jpeg

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

DougC

Hello. Not a big fan of your chosen forum name but you have some all over views of your tractor. 

Welcome to Red Square and I hope you enjoy the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Skwerl58

Welcome! Nice tractor! I have a 414-8  that I got from the original owner's estate and it has been well maintained and stored inside. These are great tractors however after a few years issues do pop up. The people here are great and  will help you with repair issues that arise. 

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, WheelPuke said:

joined to find the information I need.

:WRS:

The information in our manuals section and so many great members here combined can answer any question you may have.

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  Any information you might need is only a question away.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat::WRS:

• Like 1

WheelPuke

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I’m already facing issues with the tractor again. I lost first gear today and can barley get reverse to work. Third and second work fine. I’ll be rooting around for info on that. I’ll try and avoid redundant posting.  

8ntruck

Sounds like you might have a shifter fork issue.  I'm sure the transmission experts will stop by with comments shortly.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  My Horse is a '73 14 horse 8 speed - a direct ancestor to yours.  It has done everything I've asked it to do.

• Like 1

WHX??
17 minutes ago, WheelPuke said:

I’ll try and avoid redundant posting.  

It happens... don't sweat it.

Start a thread in transmissions and we'll get the tranny experts on it. Sounds like possible shift fork issue. 

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Great looking tractor.  You’ve come

to the right place to find the answers to your questions. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

oldlineman

I also have a 1989 414-8 that is a great tractor with 48 in deck. You may want to be careful power washing your tractor, you can get water in places that are not good for it,like electrical connections and such. I blow off loose dirt with air and then hand wash and rinse with low pressure hose. Have fun with it, with care will last a lifetime. I also have a 1979 C 101-8 I bought new and is getting close to lasting my lifetime! Bob 

• Like 2

peter lena

@WheelPuke agree with @DougC on a poor name choice, however you appear to have a good looking 14 that obviously needs some basic help , like a possible DETENT PIN / SCREW ISSUE. for your shifting problem , might be simple . another obvious problem is the rot hole in the side of the deck , have you ever dropped the deck for an inspection or cleaning / maintenance check ? .  lots of information and related pictures to your issues, in todays world , to have the opportunity to refresh a 414-8 is a no brainer ,  I personally would love to do that , pete  

• Like 2

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti: to  :rs:

• Like 1

WheelPuke

Sort of, I pull off the deck at the start of each season, swap out and sharpen the blades, clean it out and grease it with the tractor as well as an oil change. I’ll be careful and avoid the power washing from here on. It was really covered in filth before hand. I usually blow it off with compressed air after use. Shifter issue was caused by the roll pin on the gear selector shearing off. My local auto parts store gave me two “roll pins”. They ended up being split pins despite the box saying roll pin. I’ll be seeking out a true roll pin in the near future. 

I’m not sure how far I’ll go with repair/restoration. I’d like to be able to do a restoration, but most things are beyond me right now. I do have the original seat I’d like to get recovered this year. The foam is in good condition still but the cover and retention band are shot. My overall goal is to keep it nice and clean as possible and repair it 100%. It’s been a trooper and has been my most reliable of my two tractors. It also much easier to fix and I have not yet had to deal with proprietary parts unlike my John Deere.

I should explain the screen name for folks. It started with my father who was given the Wheel Horse by his crazy sister who does horses. My father had a disdain for crazy horse people like his sister, not the animal or tractors. He and I would jokingly refer to horses as pukes. Hence the tractor acquired the name WheelPuke. I used the tractor’s nickname to keep him in mind since it was his tractor. I understand it is a jaundiced name.

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

I have heard several names for a Tractor, but i think it was Ok because it was a name of memory.

Great you keep that wonderful piece of Machinery and take care of it.

👍

• Thanks 1

Digger 66

Howz-it-goin' ?

welcome aboard !

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@WheelPuke think the word RESTORATION  could be giving you second thoughts, why not  just step up the maintenance, take care of the couple of problems you have , and  get it to be a solid reliable runner? I  do not have any trailer queens , but  I would put my reliability and running up against anyone . my paint finishes are regularly oil rubbed down and look clean and shinny , don't  have any rust , and everything works as it should . the irony of that is seeing the neglect of others , went the other way . just my own opinion , make it a runner , pete  

• Like 2

WheelPuke

Going good here. Thanks for the welcome. 

Pete, I think I misunderstood what you meant by refresh. That is my goal with this tractor. I’d like to have it tip top running shape. I think I have only a few gremlins left. Such as the parking brake light being on all the time and the seat switch light occasionally lighting up. I also think I’ll need to tighten the brake adjustment some. The gas cap/ fuel gauge is broken too. I’d have to find a replacement I think. 

Since I have owned it I had to clean and adjust the carb, replace a headlight, clutch belt, PTO belt, seat, spark plug, seat strut, general maintenance. My dad never changed the oil since he owned it. It was coal black when I first changed it. 

I’d eventually like to find snow implements for this tractor. 

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Like 1

steelman

I am in NW Ohio and have a 42” snow blade I would part with. I have eight horses and although it tough to pick a favorite, my 414-8 is near the top. Welcome to Redsquare! 

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@WheelPuke glad to hear that you are , staying after it , just keep , knocking those problems off, those 14,s  are so worth it . you might also think about adding some RISLONE ZINC ADDITIVE , regularly to your oil , makes your engine run easier and also does a terrific internal cleaning job on it . use it in all my small engines , walmart might have it , amazon definitely has it always add it to my oil changes ., looks like @steelman could have a snow blade for you , could be worth a contact , keep it going , pete

• Thanks 1

WheelPuke

Pete thanks for the tip on the additive. I’ll look for some. Having a non-filtered oil system threw me off on this one. My first oil change I had all the cowling off the engine twice, and the deck on and off at least five times checking and rechecking for a filter. 

peter lena

@WheelPuke when I read about that  first never oil change , the results that I have hhttps://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment-4405/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2tCGBhCLARIsABJGmZ4n1CjmTyjsXRsOaL4QVXOx9Ss55zfrA02Wx22kHmHe2eefZYS9A4YaAu2zEALw_wcBad with that zinc  , is the incredible benefit of internal engine cleaning and smooth running. my engines used to have a milky dipstick debris , despite regular oil changes , now regularly adding zinc , the oil is clear longer and the dipsticks look shinny clean . the amazing effortless running of the engines is telling you something . I use shell rotella # 30 with it , this stuff works , pete

• Thanks 1