porschpow

520 H Kaputt!

porschpow

Good Morning Folks,

My wife cut the lawn (well....weeds, LOL) and after she got done she turned the machine off and parked it.  Early evening, I am cleaning things up and noticed that it wouldn't start.  I turn the ignition, lights come on, gauges work, but it didn't even turn (crank).  I checked to make sure it is  in neutral and the PTO is off.  I also check the fuses and the the wiring in front of the battery.  Everything looks good.  I jumped the terminals in the starter and it jumped (sparked).

I am at a loss here. My neighbors (and wife, lol) are saying to get rid of the tractor and I am still defending the old war wagon!

Wheel Horse 3D

Sounds like another instance of one of the safety switches going bad. Not sure why this happens so mysteriously. Seems to happen usually that tractor is fine one run, and the next nothin.

• Like 1

squonk

Check the 9 pin molex Connector (White plastic) near the fuse box. Common issue with burnt and corroded pins.

seuadr
4 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Sounds like another instance of one of the safety switches going bad. Not sure why this happens so mysteriously. Seems to happen usually that tractor is fine one run, and the next nothin.

agreed. i made a jumper wire for these switches so they are quick and easy to test, just 2 male connectors on a short piece of wire - can jump out any one switch  quickly and easily to test.

porschpow

Ok!

So the Seat safety switch has been "overidden" before I got the tractor.  The only two I could think of is the neutral safety switch and the PTO.  The neutral safety switch I found, but the PTO I was unable to find!

As for the 9 pin Molex connector, it appears a couple of wires has been bypassed, but from what I see, I don't see anything burnt.  I will take the connector apart and get a better look.

Handy Don

Never easy to start with undocumented modifications!

Any of the mods could be corroded and failing to make good contact. I'd even give a look to the connections at the starter switch!

Wheel Horse 3D
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Never easy to start with undocumented modifications!

Any of the mods could be corroded and failing to make good contact. I'd even give a look to the connections at the starter switch!

Well said, It could very easily be one of the previous bypasses has some oxidization or even wiggled loose a bit. I rely on my multimeter rather than my eye. It'll find stuff I never can see.

• Like 1

chip61

Occasionally on my 416H I've had to move my motion lever or the pto lever to engage the safety switch. They don't always return to position to close the safety switch and need a little persuasion.

• Like 2

porschpow

Does anyone know where the PTO safety switch is on the 520H?

roadapples

Hold the key on and wiggle the wires going up to the fuses....

• Like 1

porschpow
1 minute ago, roadapples said:

Hold the key on and wiggle the wires going up to the fuses....

???? I don't quite understand.

Turn the Key to crank while wiggling the wires going to the fuse block (on the underside)?

roadapples

Yes

Handy Don

The PTO switches (there are two in a "twinned" arrangement) are just above the pivot point for the lever, inside the hood stand next to the battery. They are not easily seen unless the battery has been removed.

Pollack Pete

Ah,just another reason to not allow a woman to get near anything mechanical.I've always found here,that if something here is going to break,the Squaw has usually just been using it.Coincidence???? Maybe.Maybe not.I call her the jinx.She gets mad as hell.

• Haha 3

Handy Don

PTO switches are here stacked one on top of the other below the throttle cable.

PTO.jpg.25b31cc351015e0e74f45f8fe81fd0fb.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Download this file. The starter circuit has it's own diagram.

porschpow
14 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Download this file. The starter circuit has it's own diagram.

Thank you

porschpow
16 hours ago, Handy Don said:

PTO switches are here stacked one on top of the other below the throttle cable.

PTO.jpg.25b31cc351015e0e74f45f8fe81fd0fb.jpg

Thank you!  Ok, I know where that is at. On my 520H (1996-1997), I have the fuse block right on top of the PTO switch.

Why where they be two of these switches for the PTO?

Handy Don

Great!

One switch locks out the starter.

The other kills the engine if the operator isn't in the seat.

porschpow

Ok, good to know!  I am assuming the one that hooks into the seat switch is most likely bypassed.

I will trace the wiring to see which switch goes to the starter.

lynnmor
29 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Great!

One switch locks out the starter.

The other kills the engine if the operator isn't in the seat.

There is only one switch on most 520H tractors, I'm not even trying to determine the model year discussed here.

Handy Don

I'm a broken record on this, but here goes: please repair broken or non-functional safety switches, remove any bypasses, and do not add any bypasses. It takes only a moment's inattention or a brief distraction to inflict a serious injury on oneself or others. These machines are powerful.

One member called the deck the Three Blades of Doom.

On some later 520's there is single PTO switch that operates a DPDT relay that then interacts with the seat switch/ignition and the neutral/starter circuits. On earlier models, there are two separate PTO switches for the two circuits. On the latter (like mine), the wiring looks like this:

1141864642_PTOSwitch.jpg.0ce0eeb4e0c4071c8323aebea8273b7e.jpg

porschpow

Thanks a  lot for all your help folks!  As it turns out, when jiggling the pto leaver down a third of the way, the it turns over. I am goign to tear into it when I get a free chance.  In the mean time, I will have to jiggle (if need be)

Handy Don

As you get into PTO lever and switches, you can pay attention to where it has more play or other issues than it should. @peter lena did a thread on refurbishing his--use all or part of what he did!

Check back here as you go and share some pictures of you work.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

porschpow

Thanks so much!