seuadr

Compressor room?

WHX??

Correct guy and Sqouky knows this too but specific vac pump oil is dirt cheap. :confusion-shrug:

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

vibration would rattle them off. 

That's actually why they caught my eye.  About a week ago I had a jar of NoAlox (I had to 'decant' it because the plastic bottle sprung a leak) on a shelf next to my radial arm saw bench.  If you don't think that made a MESS! when it came crashing down...  the upside is that nothing that was on the workbench will ever oxidize!  :banana-wrench:  There's nothing breakable on that shelf anymore but I still installed a 'stop strip' along the edge.

And that one jar is hangin' half way off already!  Bet they're tasty!  I have to actually BUY mine... :(

Maybe I should mention that the missing cover on the sub panel also caught my eye but I know it was off cuz you wuz doing the wiring... :beer:

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

seuadr
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Correct guy and Sqouky knows this too but specific vac pump oil is dirt cheap. :confusion-shrug:

Dino stuff maybe, the synthetic stuff is like 90 dollars a gallon

JPWH
11 hours ago, seuadr said:

anyone done anything like this?

I built a lean to beside my shop.

KIMG0295.JPG.e2102497a2e3a14dc7850368bcbc5f6a.JPG

KIMG0286.JPG.a4019d2935c7a642f5826298977aeef3.JPG

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

lean to

Sorta like what I did for my generator but smaller.

• Like 2

seuadr
9 hours ago, JPWH said:

I built a lean to beside my shop.

why two compressors? 

squonk

Can't find the vacuum pump oil online. It was red and looked like trans fluid. :rolleyes: 

But this oil we had to run in our medical gas air compressors $93 a gal! 

https://www.industrialairpower.com/127462-005-quinsyn-5-gal.html

• Like 1

WHX??
47 minutes ago, seuadr said:

why two compressors? 

Hank's gotta have a backup! 

11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I know it was off cuz you wuz doing the wiring... 

Yep just finishing up ... Fellas told me I should have it on a magnetic starter and may just do that yet. Amp draw was 20+ with startup much higher of course, so an awfull lot for the pressure switch. 

• Like 3

squonk
16 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Hank's gotta have a backup! 

Yep just finishing up ... Fellas told me I should have it on a magnetic starter and may just do that yet. Amp draw was 20+ with startup much higher of course, so an awfull lot for the pressure switch. 

Those pressure switches that come with the compressors are junk. We always switched them over to a Square D or CH pressure switch or wire the switch to just control a coil on a HD contactor.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

JPWH
1 hour ago, seuadr said:

why two compressors? 

Using what I have to get the CFM for the blast cabinet. I have recently aquired a larger vertical compressor so will be changing out the smaller one. I have it set up to run each independently or both at the same time.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 1

seuadr
4 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Using what I have to get the CFM for the blast cabinet.

fair enough! :)

squonk

We had one of these vacuum pumps in 2 buildings. Oil changed twice a year. $$$$$$$

QUINCY QSVB-25 VACUUM PUMP (ROTARY SCREW) [VP-010230] in United States

And 2 of these for Med air. With the dryers we got the dewpoint down to -150 deg. :)

Medical Air Compressors Manufacturers and Suppliers in the USA

Edited by squonk

threepiece

I My shop is divided By an insulated wall. My air compressor is in the unheated portion. For five months of the year I operate a heater to keep the pump warm.

pacer

Since this old post was 're-activated' made me recall that during all the other posts a problem we have down here in the south is ---- FIRE ANTS!!! Yes, their sting is rather painful, but another ... odd? thing they do is LOVE any thing electrical. And the reason I'm bringing this up is cause last week I had to replace the FOURTH pressure switch on my outside big 80 gal compressor! Little buggers will follow the wiring to where the piping is and back to the wiring til they find the switch and it doesnt take long for one to be sitting on the points contact and when it kicks on --- SIZZLE!! and the switch is dead. They also love my water wells pressure switch even more, its closer to the ground, I've replaced - I think - 6 of those, then theres the A/C unit, not as bad there - more cover - only replaced 2 of them....:ranting:

WHX??
7 minutes ago, pacer said:

here in the south is ---- FIRE ANTS!!!

Can't you fumigate them? 

pacer
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Can't you fumigate them? 

Well ..... Yes, and NO. When they first started appearing here in the south - some 40-50 yrs ago, the gov started an all out war against them using old bombers from war 2 to spread poison. IIRC it was ground up corn cobs? saturated with a pesticide, theory being the ants would carry it into their nests some reaching as deep as 6-8 feet and kill the Queen. Huge waste of money!! They are VERY difficult to get rid of - there are dozens of different pesticides that will make them abandon a nest, and kill ... thousands? only to have them move over some 10-20 ft and rebuild it. Honestly, I can take a leak on a mound and they will abandon it only to move 10-20 ft away!!! 

There has been some speculation that they MAY? be having an effect on the termites and ticks population.......

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, pacer said:

effect on the termites and ticks population

As in displacing them and reducing their population?

Are they eating them?

pacer
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

Are they eating them?

That is the .... hope? I havent seen any 'scientific' thoughts on this, but I personally have seen a drastic change in termite infestation around my place. When I built here some 50yrs ago they would have 30-40% of my firewood ruined over the season, and if I should forget and leave a cutoff piece of lumber on the ground, within a week they would be well into it and that doesnt happen any more.

• Like 1