Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Flipping Spindles?

71_Bronco

I've seen a few tractors on here where people flip the spindles to drop the front end.

Is there any negative side to this? Does it wear out parts differently / adversely? Or is it just a cosmetic thing and no big deal?

Thinking about dropping the front of my Lawn Ranger to allow bigger front tires and still maintain a front "rake" like muscle cars have.

I was also thinking about trying to find a suburban front axle for this build, as it is more of a smiley face than a frowny face like the stock one is.

20210123_161800.jpg.511a5da64f6987ab1b7b17fd0f92bcfd.jpg

Edited by 71_Bronco

Pullstart

Will this be for show or use?  Remember where the weight rides now.  Then think all that weight will be on two 1/4” roll pins.  Show?  Absolutely.  Use?  I’d figure something else out.

• Like 2

71_Bronco

I was thinking the same thing about the roll pin. Was thinking of a way to beef that up, maybe a solid pin instead, or a bolt and nut, but making sure the portion inside is unthreaded.

Maxwell-8

I've had  the roll pin on the clutch linkage of a 314-8 break, from just the spring and belt tension. 

But the roll pins wouldn't hold the weight if you are only flipping the cast-iron axle. And keeping the spindles like they should.

Edited by Maxwell-8

Lee1977

I think someone used that type axle on a puller upside down.