jdleach

Fuel Pump- 1980 C-175 Hydro

jdleach

Gonna post this here, as I don't see any "Fuel Related" section.

Pumpus has croaked on my C-175, so been looking around the 'Net for purveyors of same. All kinds available at all kinds of prices. The majority advertise as "OEM" or "Original", or some such other wording. Question is, who is reputable, has good pumps, and fair price?

Thanks folks. Been gone for a few days. Getting tired of hauling the '85 312-8 out to my other property to mow, so I have decided to finally spring the $$$ and rebuild the C-175. Plan is to have a Horsey at both properties, and not haul any of them around.

Thanks!

Edited by jdleach

bellevillerod

A1 Millers site is one that I use, so far I've been happy with everything I've got from Him.

Mechanical Fuel Pumps. Fits Kohler engine models KT17, KT17 Series II, KT19, KT19 Series II, MV16, M18, MV18, M20 and MV20. New-style plastic body fuel pumps to resist corrosion from water contamination. Use the supplied snap ring to press the tabs in the fittings to install and rotate them. Install in-line fuel filter before inlet on pump so pump will last longer. New pumps for thread-in fittings no longer available. L FYI - The alternative to replacing a [high dollar or obsolete] OEM mechanical fuel pump on a small engine is to use a modern crankcase vacuum-operated/pulse-type fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. Click or tap here to learn how this is done.

• A-1 Miller's Repair Service - Repair YOUR OEM Kohler mechanical fuel pump. $20.00 labor, plus return shipping & handling. No charge if not repairable.
  • New high quality aftermarket. Replaces Kohler part # 52 559 03-S. $35.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • New OEM Kohler part # 52 559 03-S. $89.35 each, plus shipping & handling.

roadapples

First, if you're not going total original, I like the blue/purple clear fuel line. You can see the gas and 100% ethanol resistant. And I like Facet electric pumps.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Facet electric pumps have my vote for a horse with the tank under the seat.

• Like 2

jdleach

Thank you fellas. Poked around a bit at Miller's. Guy has a lot of parts for Kohlers.

As far as keeping the Horse original, that is my goal. Always been kind of a stickler for originality. My '49 Ford F-2 pickup has been in the family for over 50 years. I've had it since Christmas of 1982. She is still "original", meaning any parts replaced have been exact reproduction or OEM. The problem is finding reproduction parts that have as good a quality as the original, factory or early after-market parts. A lot of stuff comes out of China, and quite frankly, I have been burnt several times. Rubber and plastic pieces from China are notably bad. That is why I am leaning on getting an true Kohler fuel pump, and damn the cost. The Ford has had floor mats, window seals, carburetor, and multiple other items installed over the years that were made in the U.S. by Balkamp, NAPA, Carpenter's, etc. All have lasted many, many years. In the last 4 years, I've had to replace the fuel filler grommet (3 times due to cracking), and the starter solenoid (twice, burned up). Both items are from China.

• Like 1

oldlineman

Ya you get what you pay for! Bob

jdleach

Yeah, I know. For the most part, over the last 25 years, I try to get American or high quality European. Been a toolmaker for a looonnngg time, and have preach about the poor quality of Chinese goods for many years. Been surprised at some of their stuff, but that is relatively rare.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@jdleachSadly some of The OEM Kohler parts are from China. 
If you have the original metal pump you may be able to get a rebuild kit from Then and Now automotive.  Google the name to get their phone number. There are several styles of metal pumps and they only have parts for some of them. Open your up before you call them so you can tell them what the inside looks like. I’ve used 2 of their rebuild kits with good results. 

• Like 1

jdleach

Thanks oliver. Went ahead and got a genuine Kohler. Not made in China, but in Korea. Don't recall having any issues with Korean goods, so will go with it for now. The pump that is in it is plastic, but of an older style wherein the fuel inlet and outlet fittings are molded in and of metal.

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, jdleach said:

got a genuine Kohler

May I inquire where you got your pump?  And do you still have both of your arms and legs?  I should keep a spare pump on the shelf myself, Justin Case.

• Like 1

jdleach

Sorry for the delay Jeff. Went through my local NAPA jobber. Bought enough parts off those felllers for my '49 Ford truck that they generally  give me a discount. Price was $115 :o. Part came directly from their Kohler supply warehouse.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, jdleach said:

'49 Ford truck

Not to drift off topic, but I'm a sucker for pics of old Ford p.u.s!