seuadr

Oliver 550 - Steering Box

seuadr

So - my bearings for the chipper didn't come this weekend, so i decided to get around to checking out the steering box on my oliver (failed late last year and i suspected it was going to be expensive, so, i've been avoiding it - ignorance is bliss!) 

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

needless to say, no bueno. the left hand sector gear is pooched - i think that the work bear block cracked and then the tooth fell in between the two sector gears. got a few options - could buy the replacement sector gears and worm gear - new we are looking at ~450 dollars. could buy used parts - waiting on a quote for that, or could just bite the bullet and buy a brand new ford box, which is essentially a drop in, surprisingly? that'd be about 600 dollars. 

tempted to drop a brand new box in there - should be good for another 50 or so years, since this one appears to be original.

• Sad 1

Pullstart

Just remember.. I am not sure if much built from cast today will ever last as stuff built 50 years ago...

seuadr
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Just remember.. I am not sure if much built from cast today will ever last as stuff built 50 years ago...

oh, none of the guts are cast, just the housing. it is my understanding that they are using the original tools/specs to recreate the ford parts.

image.png.a4759a7828edff714fd5342374edeed5.png

• Thanks 1

Handy Don

Not easy choices. Good luck!:(

seuadr
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Not easy choices. Good luck!:(

on the bright side, i got a smoking deal before i found the steering problem, but, even with the cost of repairing/replacing the steering components, it is still a pretty good deal.

• Like 1

WHX??

Did you check with places like Steiner tractor or All States Ag parts? 

seuadr
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Did you check with places like Steiner tractor or All States Ag parts? 

yep - steiner is where i got my prices from.

guess there is a guy in texas that sells rebuilt boxes with used parts, but i'm inclined to go with a whole new setup for the price - steiner doesn't have the worm gear, and allstate ag wants 350 bucks for it. for those i'd be at the same cost as an entirely new unit that fits from steiner - seems like a no brainer - because if i go the rebuild route i still need seals, upper and lower bearings for the worm gear/shaft and seals for both sector gears, which are ~25-35$ a pop adding up to another ~100 dollars. the rebuilt unit would ostensibly have all that for 620 bucks, +40 bucks for the steering wheel that fits. 

i'd save shipping going to steiner too, cause they are about 40 mins from my house :)

Edited by seuadr
  • Like 2

seuadr

well i bit the bullet and ordered an entire replacement from steiner. the rebuild guy in texas is fine with my box for the rebuild price, so, i'll probably send the existing one to him at some point and then either have 2, or sell one to help recover costs. 

Figure i'd like to have the machine in the very near future - on the new build site we got a lot of trash and stuff to clear up and the loader will come in real handy for that - we'll be renting a dumpster in the next couple of weeks and the turn around time on the rebuilt box is unknown at this time so.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

@seuadr I appreciate if you would post or message me the contact information about the Texas place that has parts. 

I have an Oliver 2-44 loader backhoe that essentially is a Oliver 550 with an industrial front end.  

I need some power steering cylinders. Due to the design I can't find a hydraulic shop that will  cut, rebuild them and weld them up.   

PS :wwp: would love to see your Oliver!

WHX??
20 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-yeahthat:

seuadr
31 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@seuadr I appreciate if you would post or message me the contact information about the Texas place that has parts. 

I have an Oliver 2-44 loader backhoe that essentially is a Oliver 550 with an industrial front end.  

I need some power steering cylinders. Due to the design I can't find a hydraulic shop that will  cut, rebuild them and weld them up.   

he's actually in texas too!

Kent Gordon
211 ACR 375
Palestine, TX    75801
903 729 8349

kgteinc@yahoo.com

Edited by seuadr
  • Like 1

seuadr

this is from a couple of years ago, because it is POURING rain right now - looks just like this though, just with less snow and and currently no steering wheel. :D

0218181413_1518993029752-jpg.2213730

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
21 minutes ago, seuadr said:

POURING rain right now

Send a little my way!:)

ACman

Looks like you have done your homework but you might want to give Card Brothers in Chesaning Michigan a call . They were a Oliver dealership then White now Massey Ferguson (all under the AGCO company now) who knows what they might have or know . Owosso  tractor parts is another . My dad might know of something too (there’s still NOS Cockshutt parts upstairs) along with any bearing or seal you need . Give me a pm if you want his number. We used a 550 just like that for barn yard duty at the farm for years . Picture brought back some memories from way back .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

@seuadr Under the loader industrial front end, my Oliver looks just like yours.

oliver.JPG.cd81b651593330798c48fce56e546350.JPG

Does your 550 have the power Assist steering cylinders like this.  While searching for replacements I've read they are the same ones as use don some year corvett. But no one could say what year vet?

IMG_0586.jpg.cdb49df639f8cac825b4377ba58794a5.jpg

• Like 2

ACman

Hey @oliver2-44 more good memories there too as we had one of those on the farm as well.

seuadr
8 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@seuadr Under the loader industrial front end, my Oliver looks just like yours.

Does your 550 have the power Assist steering cylinders like this.  While searching for replacements I've read they are the same ones as use don some year corvett. But no one could say what year vet?

no unfortunately (or i guess in the case of the steering components, fortunately) i have manual steering.

though, to be fair - i don't use it for anything that really NEEDs power steering, my loader is meant for manure, not actually heavy things :D

when i looked into how complicated/expensive the conversion might be last fall i found some info that said pre 1964  ford tractor power steering rams would also work as they used the same steering components - which i guess i can confirm for the steering box today as that is what is going in it. i also read that New Jacobsen 153233 was the same dimensions. 

oliver2-44

Thanks I’ll look into the Ford parts option

• Like 1

seuadr

Man i got the box installed yesterday but the alignment was way off. Got looking at it today after work and one tie rod was adjusted all the way out, the other all yhe way in, and that one was missing the woodriff key. 

It kinda feels like they tried to adjust the steering far enough to move the machine without hitting the bad spot.

Edited by seuadr
i r gud speeler.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, seuadr said:

It kinda feels like they tried to adjust ghe steering far enough to move the machine without hitting the bad spot.

Sounds like something I would do in a pinch--keep it running!

seuadr

As requested, here are some pics!

PXL_20210612_113751324.jpg

PXL_20210612_113738796.jpg

seuadr

Looks good next to my future shop!

PXL_20210612_163458530_MP.jpg

oliver2-44

@seuadr  Thanks for the pictures.  Interesting you rear fenders have "Oliver" stamped in them, mine don't. You also have the Ag row crop spin out rims., mine being an Industrial has fixed rims. Of course mine is a few years younger as it has "White Oliver" decals on it. Unfortunately  my model/serial number is missing.

PXL_20210612_113738796.jpg.5e7db681b96957881dc76a683703d569.jpg

• Like 1

pacer

In one of the earlier posts was mentioned the power steering cylinder and other models/brands having the same one. This is evidently a common thing..... As a 'for instance' (and about steering) I have a Mitsubishi 1650 4x4 with FEL and with a bucket of dirt steering is ---- WHEW!! Having read about rodders adapting the newer electric power steering to their rods, dunebuggys, etc I decided to look into that. To show this is still on topic - and this is a wheel horse forum, when I took the steer box out I was shocked/amazed to find that it was a Ross box Identical to the big Wheel Horses!! on a Japanese tractor!

Anyhow, I was successful in actually getting this adapted (quite a trick!!) using a 2014 Hyundai system, and it works amazingly well!!