Brockport Bill

310-8 Tranny Locked in low range

Brockport Bill

310-8 locked in low range - is it common - any idea the typical cost to have professionally repaired - or optionally -- switch out to used tranny what that cost would be ?

Maxwell-8

I  have nobody in the region that wants to work on a Horse. Good thing, there are pretty easy to work on! 

@stevasaurus will most likely be able to help you. Is it a running machine? if not you should push it a bit forward in gear. I am not an expert on that part. But one of my horses when I just got it.   was very hard to get in /out of low-high range, but freed itself up after some usages.

Brockport Bill

not my tractor but its for sale - yes, apparently it runs and owner states has been well cared for??

Maxwell-8

Only thing i can image is if the shift fork is bent?

But if you go look at it, s-check the transoil and try if you can get it out of gear.

Brockport Bill

that my question - if its the fork - what's the cost for professional repair - or for tranny to be swapped out with replacement - and what's a used replacement cost?

oliver2-44

If you go look at it work the hi/lo shifter several times gently, don't force it, you can break a fork.

As mentioned the fork may be bent, or water in the transmission oil has rusted it.

If you can pick it up at a reasonable non-runner cost, those transmissions are not difficult to open up and repair and used parts really available.  There's plenty of experienced help here to walk you through it. 

peter lena

# BROCKPORT BILL , WHATS THE LUBRICATION STATE IN THAT TRANS ? ripped shift boot ? full of milky water / oil ? done a few of these up in jack stands , for a more thorough drain and flush . agree with others on do not force the shifter . I would also add all my cleaning / flush oils thru the shifter area , to help flush out and get things moving . lighter oils , kerosene , fuel oil , atf , and running what you have , usually starts to let things move . this takes time and moving the gear setting you have , put some distance on your stuck set up with a lighter oil , regularly attempt to move shifter , do not force it . one of my trans units was similar to yours , now it shifts without effort . heat up any of the fresh oil you use , to increase its cleaning ability .  if this is to much for you ,  maybe  a trans swap would be easier , to have done , pete    

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

that my question - if its the fork - what's the cost for professional repair - or for tranny to be swapped out with replacement - and what's a used replacement cost?

That depends on what you pay for a used trans. No mechanic is gone have a sparte WH trans to swap into yours. A tranny swap is around a half day work if you know what you are doing.

Replace a bent fork is a day work. (but good like finding a small-engine shop doing that for you. That is the situation here anyway.)

But before deciding all this. Go take a look at it first, maybe when you are there, the trans way work. More important is that the hubs are not welded on. 

Edited by Maxwell-8

stevasaurus

If it is a damaged  hi/low shift fork, you can still get that part from TORO for around $60.  If you can drop the trans and put in another, you will be able to do the work yourself.  The hard part is changing out a trans.  If the PO has been running this horse, it is probably not a rust issue.  If you can find a professional that is willing to change out a bad shift fork, I think the labor ball park is about $100 / hour.  I would expect paying about 8 hours of labor.  To do yourself, under $70...part and gasket.  :eusa-think:  The 2 videos show building the hi/low part of your trans.

• Like 6

squonk

I have an entire old tractor with a working 8 spd. you can have CHEEP! but I'm like 4-5 hrs. from you.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

seller said the shift does actually move from low to high ( not actually "stuck" in low range ) but doesn't engage and will slip in and out of low/high -- sound like internal wear issue to me rather than just rust or cleaning issue but i have zero expertise in the tranny world

Maxwell-8

Slipping Low-High gear is first and most likely worn gear. secondly bent fork (not so likely) 

stevasaurus

This still sounds like the hi/low détente fixture.  Could be the détente ball, weak spring or maybe a somewhat bent shift fork.  Knowing these transmissions, I am betting on a somewhat bent shift fork.  You need to open the trans to see what it is.

I just love when we do not get all the information that is available to make a decision, and we stick our necks out, and then we learn a little bit more.  Just saying.  :confusion-confused:

A somewhat bent hi/low shift fork may not engage the gear all the way...so it would be prone to pop out.

209a529c87e23e165a5392fa4469a473.jpg

Cock Robin....

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

i noted earlier on the post, its not my tractor - that's why i stated earlier post "not my tractor but its for sale" .......................never saw it, or drove it, before i presented the question here  ---- the owner had presented the tranny problem on his for sale post on other site  ---  I just saw tractor today and owner told me more about the symptoms -- i was trying to get info from the wisdom here ahead of meeting the "for sale owner" today..... so i asked the question on this topic page so i could have an informed conversation with the owner when i saw him and the tractor - thanks for all the insights - they were very helpful when I met him --especially the video

stevasaurus

@Brockport Bill  please don't take my post as criticism.  I knew this is a horse you were looking at...and I gave you exactly what I think is wrong given what you told us.  I'm sorry, I just get a little frustrated when somebody asks a question and doesn't even give us what horse he is talking about.  Another thing, is that a lot of questions lately are about horses that people, like you, are looking at, but maybe not buying...depending on what you get for answers.  If we don't know all that we need to, we could be giving you bad information.  We, unknowingly could be turning you from a good buy, or we could be pointing you in the direction of a bad buy.  What I am trying to say...transmissions are not like asking about "What belt do I need?".  Here is the truth...if it is a manual transmission,..it is fixable.  Depending on what is really in there, you can spend what it cost to flush and change oil to about $250 if you have to change out bearings and seals.  Changing out gears can raise that price.  I wish a lot of what I am saying could be pinned at the top of this section so members can read it and then ask questions.  You OK??  If you buy this, I will be here to walk you through the process..  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

your advice is valued and of enormous insight and perspective and very gratefully appreciated - Forum folks like me would be in never never land without you --- I along with many others would be absolutely lost without your brain, experience and wisdom -- you did state however " I just get a little frustrated when somebody asks a question and doesn't even give us what horse he is talking about."  ..............  Just as a note, my first two words of my post when I posed my inquiry I said "310-8"

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Rfk3108

I real enjoyed reading this thread and I am pretty sure I am the “for sale owner” 😅.  The shifter does in fact move and the tractor just stopped moving forward while cutting grass last month ( while in high range ). It will run in low range but regardless of where the Hi/Lo lever is it won’t leave low range.  I am original owner. Oh well, it’s still a great tractor if you are not in a hurry - ha 

• Heart 1

Bill D
On 6/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, Brockport Bill said:

i noted earlier on the post, its not my tractor - that's why i stated earlier post "not my tractor but its for sale" .......................never saw it, or drove it, before i presented the question here  ---- the owner had presented the tranny problem on his for sale post on other site  ---  I just saw tractor today and owner told me more about the symptoms -- i was trying to get info from the wisdom here ahead of meeting the "for sale owner" today..... so i asked the question on this topic page so i could have an informed conversation with the owner when i saw him and the tractor - thanks for all the insights - they were very helpful when I met him --especially the video

Contact @Herder, he had an 8 speed with  the 1 1/8" axles for $50 awhile back.  He may still have it.  Bill

Edited by Bill D
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3

I looked at that tractor....not even worth the 550 IMHO....a wee bit beat up