RandyLittrell

Compact tractor advise

RandyLittrell

My son is really itching to buy a compact tractor with a loader. I know quite a few of you guys have some and would like advise on what to buy. He wants to use it to make some extra money doing landscaping, brushhogging, and other things and then eventually add a skid steer and do it as a profession. 

We don't want to large, but want bigger than sub compact. 

Any advise on brand and best way to buy one. He wants to finance it to help with building credit while still be saving to buy a house if housing prices ever come back to reality! 

Thanks, Randy

Handy Don

Around my neck of the woods the competition to do that sort of work is fierce bordering on cutthroat. Before investing, learn the market. Getting and operating the equipment is the easy part--getting and keeping workers and then customers to keep a cash flow can be darned hard.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Don. Sounds like great advice. A good idea can turn out to be a bad one once it comes up against reality.

A young lad near me asked for our advice as he fancied becoming a dog walker. I told him the same thing, study the market, find out if there are potential customers, think about insurance, think about security, you may be asked to collect dogs from peoples homes so how will you uphold their security, strong leads and harnesses as you can't always trust an owners gear, time management to be where you promised to be etc.

Didn't take long for him to decide starting a business might not be for him. 

• Like 2

WHX??

@WVHillbilly520H Knows a bunch. @Pollack Pete has a nice rig too. 

• Like 1

squonk

Mahindra, Kioti or Kubota

• Like 3

cschannuth

Finding work in our area is not an issue. Landscapers and builders are backed up for months with work backlog. Finding workers/employees is almost impossible, however. Anyone who wants to work is employed. Those who don’t want to work won’t even bother to apply. Also, starting  your own business can be very profitable but 60-100 hour work weeks are not uncommon. 

Most any tractor will last and provide good service if treated well. I would choose one with a good local service/parts department. Green is a dirty word around here but we have a 1994 JD 970 with a loader and it has been bulletproof. 

• Like 3

roadapples

20210405_191316.jpg.03d7a0fd0ad677bbb48dcba9506fa42f.jpgMy brother got a Kioti a few months ago. Loves it. Built tough. We're told nearly identical to Kubota.

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

Mahindra dealers around here offer great financing.I've read about zero down and like up to 82 or 84 months to pay off.I've got a Mahindra E-Max 25 with a heated cab and a 56 inch 2 stage snow blower.Only use it for snow blower duty.Almost 5 yrs old and it has like 120 hrs on it.Came with a front end loader that I've never had on,and probably never will.Have enough front end loader equiped tractors here already.Also have a Mahindra 2638 with heat and air and full cab Use it for york raking,brush hogging,and I've used it with my rear mounted 5 foot snow blower this past winter when we got that early 35 inch snow fall.Both tractors seem ok so far.I like the hydrostatic trannys in both of them and also the power steering.Good luck with your search.

roadapples

Heard recently that Bobcat is branching out and offering good deals. You'll have to do your own research, but may be worth your effort  ...

• Like 1

19richie66

Just got a Kubota B2601. So far I love it. If you go bigger than 30hp, you get into the regen exhaust crap. No thanks. Pretty happy with it. 

F6DCEFA5-2FCA-4E94-9195-FBA25CC789EB.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4

JoeM

If your patient, there are a few nice Kubota that come on line from time to time. Look for the guy that got big plans and small acres. 

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

If you go bigger than 30hp

Is it already 30 hp now, I thought it was 75 or 90 hp, somewhere in that range. :eusa-snooty:

Meanwhile the Belgium goverment shut down cable TV, millions of TV's had to be scrapped. :text-offtopic:

I would go for a gear driven tractor over a hydro, but that is just my 2cents

T-Mo

Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, Case IH.  Be sure your dealer and tractor brand has great service and can get the parts.  Some of the cheaper brands, parts and service may be a problem.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
14 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Some of the cheaper brands, parts and service may be a problem.

Even the brand name tractors are getting tough to get parts for as the tractor gets older.Ya see,when you're old like me,a 40 yr old tractor seems pretty new.At least in my brain.

• Haha 1

19richie66

There are hardly any tractors left on the lots around here. Supplies are hard to get according to the dealers we checked at. When we got ours, there were at least 15-20 tractors left at the dealers lot. Went back by last weekend and there were maybe 5-8 still there. 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

There are hardly any tractors left on the lots around here. Supplies are hard to get according to the dealers we checked at. When we got ours, there were at least 15-20 tractors left at the dealers lot. Went back by last weekend and there were maybe 5-8 still there. 

Even they are affected about the chip shortage??? even more Long live WH!

• Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Thanks for the replies guys!! My son WANTS one more than he NEEDS one but if he is going to do it, I thought I would get some advice. 

Locally we have a New Holland, Kubota, and John Deere so probably stay in those brands unless he finds a good deal. As a Dad, I am pushing him to save his money and find a good deal on a used one, but he is as hard headed as his Dad!! 

At least if he buys one, I can use it since he will want to park it at my shop! 

Randy

• Like 2

seuadr

i don't like to speak ill of any brands that i don't have direct experience with, but, i've heard a lot of bellyaching on tractor forums and facebook groups about new holland parts delays and prices - just second hand information mind you.

Kubota and Deere have been around forever and likely will be around forever, i'd expect the parts availability to be broader (though not necessarily cheaper)

• Like 3

Handy Don
12 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

he will want to park it at my shop

Insist on your own set of keys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

seuadr
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Insist on your own set of keys!

Gotta roll the tires now and then or they will get flat spots!

WHX??
On 6/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, 19richie66 said:

Just got a Kubota B2601. So far I love it. If you go bigger than 30hp, you get into the regen exhaust crap. No thanks. Pretty happy with it. 

F6DCEFA5-2FCA-4E94-9195-FBA25CC789EB.jpeg

That be my pick Ritchie. Was at a 'bota dealer to pick up stuff for my side by side and kicked a few tires while there. Only problem I saw was 150 for a gallon of oil and three filters! :jaw: I suppose the dealer's got a pretty good margin. 

WHX??
Just now, WHX24 said:

go bigger than 30hp, you get into the regen exhaust crap.

I thought it was 24 HP?? 

19richie66
Just now, WHX24 said:

I thought it was 24 HP?? 

Mines a 26 and it doesn’t have it. Salesman said 30hp and up. Just repeating what he said. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, seuadr said:

Gotta roll the tires now and then or they will get flat spots!

Yeah and all that carbon in the engine has to get blown out and the seals on the hydraulics need to move so they don't dry out. Gotcha.