OoPEZoO

New to the Forum but not my 314-8

OoPEZoO

Hi everyone.....I've been lurking around here for years, but always found answers to my questions by doing a quick search.  I've had a 1985 314-8 for about 15 years and it has treated me well.  I've had to do some repairs, some of which required me to learn how to weld.  Last year we moved to a new house with a much bigger yard so I'm really beginning to appreciate how good of a tractor it is and want to make it last.  I have been mowing with a 36" RD deck for those 15 years, but the larger yard was becoming a bit of a chore for it.  So a few weeks ago I picked up a 72'-73' 48" SD deck that is in pretty rough shape.  It needs a couple of holes patched, has a cracked spindle housing, and the main center pulley is cracked with the double D wallowed out to the point that is shot.  Luckily I found a local guy with one for sale that I'm picking up on Sunday.  I may also pick up his used spindles if they will work on my deck.  I don't seem to have a decent pic of my whole tractor, but below is the deck repair I did on my 36" RD, and the condition of my "new" 48".

Hopefully I can get this 48" cutting grass before the end of the season.  I also have the plan to pick up a snow plow before next winter.  I'm only a little over an hour from the big show, so I plan to roll out there later this month and do some parts hunting as well.

The 36" RD repair from a few years ago.  I thought it was a goner when I started.  Not pretty, as it was my first ever welding, but its still holding up 2 years later

IMG_0804.jpg.774d2cf5ee0f0c241fb740828407ec38.jpgIMG_0815.jpg.42e6e7336e0febed7112b57110f59a75.jpg

The "new" 48" SD I just picked up

IMG_1602.jpg.44a5076eb3222db64feecab9bbffd590.jpg

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

OoPEZoO

and the hole on the 48" that I get to patch.  I can't imagine it will be any tougher than the gaping hole I had on the 36", plus the metal is MUCH thicker on the 48"

IMG_1603.jpg.ae096f04214dd040575c7255dcfde8f0.jpg

• Like 3

OoPEZoO

The cracked and wallowed out 6756 double pulley on the 48".  That hole started life as a double D.  Previous owner had it held together with a mess of JB Weld and locktite

IMG_1637D.jpg.39bb37a6bcbf843d02800546bcd80aca.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Achto
21 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

and the hole on the 48" that I get to patch.  I can't imagine it will be any tougher than the gaping hole I had on the 36", plus the metal is MUCH thicker on the 48"

IMG_1603.jpg.ae096f04214dd040575c7255dcfde8f0.jpg

:WRS:

With ant luck we will have a chance to meet at the big show.

Looks like someone tried a fiberglass repair on that deck.

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

Nah.....That is what is left from a Duct tape patch....LOL.  But I only paid $75 for the deck, so I figured I'd give it a whirl trying to save it.  In the meantime, my old trusty 36" is getting the job done.

• Like 2

roadapples

My brother used pulleys made for electric motors. He drilled and tapped the pulley in the groove where the belt goes. Tightened the set screw on the flat of the double D shaft. Obviously you need the right length set screw so the belt won't hit. These pulleys aren't expensive and he's been using it like this for 3 years...:handgestures-thumbupleft:.   We'll be at the show...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

My brother used pulleys made for electric motors. He drilled and tapped the pulley in the groove where the belt goes. Tightened the set screw on the flat of the double D shaft. Obviously you need the right length set screw so the belt won't hit. These pulleys aren't expensive and he's been using it like this for 3 years...:handgestures-thumbupleft:.   We'll be at the show...

How did you keep this excellent fix a secret for soo long.      WH eventually went from DD to a keyed shaft, then eliminated the key and just used the nut and lock washer to create enough friction to fasten the pulley to the spindle.    So your set screw should be more than adequate.     Dud you use two set screws, one on each side?  What size?

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

roadapples
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

How did you keep this excellent fix a secret for soo long.      WH eventually went from DD to a keyed shaft, then eliminated the key and just used the nut and lock washer to create enough friction to fasten the pulley to the spindle.    So your set screw should be more than adequate.     Dud you use two set screws, one on each side?  What size?

I'll have to check on the size. 

He only used 1 set screw. Figured he could always add a second one if needed. Pretty sure he used locktite on the screw...

• Thanks 1

OoPEZoO

Heres a pic of my tractor, fresh off of a lawn cutting session yesterday

IMG_1652.jpg.cf74414a1888dc6ff592c56cf67de091.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg.2e199d11c4efe1b6b525bccaab58b2f9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1