BeninCT

Wheel spacers?

BeninCT

I have a set of wheels/tires but only just recently discovered that they are the wrong backset for my 312-8.  Does anyone run a spacer or is that sketchy?  Had a set on a jeep for a couple years and it was ok. 

If they aren’t against the law here, does anyone make a set that works and is readily available to match the bolt pattern?

Thx-

Ben

• Like 1

953 nut
36 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

match the bolt pattern

Same bolt pattern used by Ford and Dodge/Plymouth for several decades.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

They're perfectly fine Ben.  

I've run 3" spacers on my very heavily loaded C160 for 2 years.  

I keep a list of what you need to do the swap. 

I'll PM you because it has fleabay listings in it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll PM you because it has fleabay listings in it. 

Karl doesn't usually frown upon those type of listing links to help others with parts and pieces and such.

It was a problem when people would constantly post ads for tractors and such that weren't theirs.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've been posting links if it's helping others with things, but not posting tractor ads.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc

5 on 4.5 pattern. I have them on 3 tractors and they are great. You'll need 7/16 button cap screws or really tall heads on the bolts to mount them, because torquing the OEM bolts is difficult because the holes are designed as bolt centric, and they set too deep in there to get onto the bolts with a socket.

One more thing- if you go with automotive spacers, most have 1/2 inch studs, and our tractor wheels use 7/16 bolts. You'll have to ream the bolt holes on the wheels to 1/2 inch, but it's a small enough difference that they can still be reused with the 7/16 bolts. 

IMG_20210511_210234690.jpg

IMG_20210510_150354009.jpg

712-600-007.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Might be cheaper easier to get the correct wheels.... 1-3/8" backset.

kpinnc
53 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Might be cheaper easier to get the correct wheels.... 1-3/8" backset

Well, the spacers are about $15 bucks a wheel. I don't really like duallies, and this is one way to add some stability without as much chance of snapping an axle.

...Plus the wider rear end looks good.

IMG_20210601_223745940.jpg

• Like 7

BeninCT

Amazing the level of info here as always!  Thank you all for taking the time. 

I have a couple great tires that I mounted on a set of free wheels without checking them.   Worst part is, I think I scrapped the EXACT set of spacers I would need maybe a month ago when we took them off my sons Jeep.  :eek:   Didnt know I needed them until a few days later anyway.  Grrrrr.

Will find a set and use the amazing detailed instructions here plus some great help via PM to get them on.  

Any good post has to have pics so here are the wheels and tires.  Going to really make my 312 look nice and I’m hoping they will get me out of needing the rear tire chains when plowing my flat asphalt driveway in winter.  Weights included of course. 

7273AD54-3ED6-4529-890E-ABCD71356309.jpeg.4f55a08dcab4831c391da706c9572d42.jpeg26B85D0E-CFC3-4B2F-829C-7220B7270AB1.jpeg.deea8bda67a28f22953e9f429deacaac.jpeg 

• Like 2

kpinnc

I would just flip those wheels around. They look like standard 7.5 wheels used on our tractors- but they appear to have been previously mounted "dish side in". 

Good looking tires BTW.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I would just flip those wheels around. They look like standard 7.5 wheels used on our tractors- but they appear to have been previously mounted "dish side in". 

Good looking tires BTW.

Maybe a couple more pictures of the other side of the wheel? In the above post it looks like the top picture is the correct INSIDE of the wheel. Has flat spots on the area around the lug holes.

• Like 1

bds1984

I installed spacers on my C165 six years ago and never looked back and no issues at all.  I don't remember having to ream the stud holes larger but that is not a major undertaking if you need to.  

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
10 hours ago, BeninCT said:

26B85D0E-CFC3-4B2F-829C-7220B7270AB1.jpeg.deea8bda67a28f22953e9f429deacaac.jpeg 

I like ur tires I see why there out of stock now haha. Also I run 2 inch ford ranger spacers with I belive a 82mm center bore to clear the hub lip with no problem on a couple of my horses .  20210417_175814.jpg.d3380d61d725f82b52abca4eaca7e790.jpg

20210524_175803.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

BeninCT
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Maybe a couple more pictures of the other side of the wheel? In the above post it looks like the top picture is the correct INSIDE of the wheel. Has flat spots on the area around the lug holes.

@kpinnc I am in FL but will measure.   Not sure I considered installing them the other way....  cant wait to get home to see!  Don’t have another pic....

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
21 hours ago, kpinnc said:

IMG_20210601_223745940.jpg

Looks very good, how many inches are those? 2 inches?

Been looking at spacers as well but the cheapest set I found here in Belgium is around 150$ and are only 1 inch.  Price is that high because they have to pass EU-regulations although we can't legally put them on our cars. :eusa-snooty:

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Sad 2

BeninCT
25 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Been looking at spacers as well but the cheapest set I found here in Belgium is around 150$ and are only 1 inch.  Price is that high because they have to pass EU-regulations although we can't legally put them on our cars. :eusa-snooty:

Look on amazon for 5x4.5 wheel spacer- there are dozens of options for $60 or less  

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
4 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Look on amazon for 5x4.5 wheel spacer- there are dozens of options for $60 or less  

Yup, I am gone order them from the USA, with customs I will be around 100-120$ instead of 150$. 

• Like 2

BeninCT
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Yup, I am gone order them from the USA, with customs I will be around 100-120$ instead of 150$. 

Do you have the tires mounted on anything?  (we have the same tires). Curious how they are working for you if so. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
7 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Been looking at spacers as well but the cheapest set I found here in Belgium is around 150$ and are only 1 inch.  Price is that high because they have to pass EU-regulations although we can't legally put them on our cars. 

Yes they are 2 inch.

Several Euro car companies use them all the time, I think Porsche perfected the things, because they have used them for decades. I'm guessing it's the "little guy" only has to follow the rules, while the billon dollar companies do whatever they want.

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
8 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Do you have the tires mounted on anything?  (we have the same tires). Curious how they are working for you if so. 

No I am looking for wider tires 12inch wide..  But will need spacers and 2" will be sufficient it looks like.

Probably gone go 26x12-12  ITP Mudlite (still USA made). But will see if I get the C175 working. 

• Like 1

BeninCT

Finally put these on as we anticipate the fall/winter.  

Turned out well but in addition to drilling out the wheels fo for the studs on the spacers I had to put the spacers on the lathe and turn a little recess to accommodate the raised center portion of the axle hub.  This was an added step but only took maybe 20 mins to do both and maintains the hub centric mounting rather than relying on the reamed out bolt holes.  Anyway couldn’t have done it without you fellers!  Thank you-

Need to now make a receiver hitch weight rack and some front wheel weights and maybe some of those rubber tire chains.  

A67094E8-A513-4BCC-A4BF-5AF2C97AAEB1.jpeg

A99EF516-EF5F-4FB8-A149-01C95097FAF6.jpeg

• Like 2

BeninCT

Wide ass looks good- 

1BBCAFCF-8918-42C5-832C-7FE94C91FF91.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Do you have the availability to get the tires filled?

That would add significant weight and traction. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Wide ass looks good-

Yeah it does! :thumbs:

• Like 1

8ntruck

As a retired steel wheel engineer,  I'll throw my opinion on wheel spacers in here.

As long as you use wheel spacers to correct the position of the wheel centerline to the mounting face of the hub to be the same as the stock wheel, the bearing loads will not change.

Moving the wheel centerline onboard or outboard relative to stock will change the bearing loads.  The bigger the track change, the bigger the change in bearing loads.

With the loads and speeds we operate our tractors at, an inch or two should not be a problen.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Moving the wheel centerline onboard or outboard relative to stock will change the bearing loads.  The bigger the track change, the bigger the change in bearing loads.

With the loads and speeds we operate our tractors at, an inch or two should not be a problen.

On my big tractor project I'm moving the wheels out several inches per side in the back. 

It's legitimately possible it'll eat the rear outer wheel bearings fairly quickly. 

I'm ok with that and I'm the one doing the possible repair. 

I'm certainly curious to see how long it lasts. 

• Like 3