Sign in to follow this  
ScottyMac

Touchy 8-25 Clutch

ScottyMac

I recently bought my mother a beautiful little 8-25 for her to mow her lawn (it looks nearly new) rather than let her dump $1500 on a new piece of junk.  It runs and performs perfectly.  However, the clutch seems to be a little touchy.  When you let the clutch out, no matter how slowly, it lurches forward abruptly.  Is there an adjustment to soften the transmission engagement?  None of my other WH - I have a couple 312-8's- are jumpy like this.  

stevasaurus

The thing is, it is still a belt driven riding lawn mower.  Check the drive pulleys for any rust.  Clean pulleys so they shine and put some mineral spirits on the pulleys.  That should help a ton.  If it still does it..."maybe" wipe the belt with mineral spirits also...do not soak the belt...just wipe.  Check tension spring also.  :thumbs:

peter lena

@SCOTTYMAC, take the time to LUBRICATE THE RELATED LINKAGE , I also firmed up every end connection point with extra washers and lube , when the rust runs out , you are on the right track. maybe that clutch spring is too soft , also check out your related pulleys , sloppy or noisy bearings will also do it , pete