GMcC

5073 Tranny question

GMcC

Recently purchased a 1973  Wheel Horse 12-8 ( no name/Raider) . 1st timer thus getting my feet wet. Rear axle seals leaking, attempted to remove left hub ( removed set screw, filled hole with penetrant oil over the course of week, secured a hub puller, heated up and still the flange broke ) Thus question is; can I split the case to remove the axle to permit me to place it into a press in order to remove the balance of the hub ? Been viewing a manual I downloaded, but it was a scanned copy thus images somewhat blurry. I do consider my mechanical skills pretty good and do not mind a challenge. Just looking for some “been there done that” advice. Thanks in advance.

wallfish

Now that it's already broke, why not just cut it off?

The cast hub is brittle so it can be cracked off after cutting 90% of the way through.  Cut 2 places length wise 180 degrees apart, support the bottom to the floor and smack it with a hammer to crack it off. Less hammer action needed the closer the cut is to the axle. :twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

GMcC

As I sit here in recliner, did ponder the thought of cutting off the broken hub, but I still have the opposite side to address removal of. Was thinking I might have a more successful removal of the undamaged hub in a press vs puller, but need the axle out to facilitate this ( or bite the bullet, cut right side off as well and replace both hubs new. Hey, it’s only money,, wife can’t have all the fun spending it.

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:welcome to my world.  Cut the busted one off. You can then split & take apart the differential and take the remaining offender to the press.

20191207_161458.jpg

• Sad 3

GMcC

Dejuv !! Figured now that I got tranny on bench to split case, might as well give it a little “tune-up”. Do you have a recommendation on source for replacement hubs ? 

stevasaurus

Make sure your axles are 1 1/8"...they should be.  You could place an add in the Classifieds / Wanted Section,  Or get in touch with A-Z Parts...he is one of our Vendors.  Check the Vendor Section.  

When I cut off hubs, I use a 4" grinder, cut in 2 places and then use a cold chisel to crack the hubs.  It is an easy job.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 2

GMcC

Dejuv !! Figured now that I got tranny on bench to split case, might as well give it a little “tune-up”. Do you have a recommendation on source for replacement hubs ? 

GMcC

Success, finally. Cutoff wheel through keyway, cold chiseled into the “slot”, somewhat split open to some degree then finessed the hub off!! One down, one to go.

B9A776F5-58D2-4361-858A-7C1BE18096E9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

You can open the trans, take the differential apart, un snap the "C" clip and pull out the axle with the hub still on.  Maybe press it off with out breaking.  :orcs-cheers:  Nice job cutting the bad hub.  Thanks for the pictures.

• Like 1

WHX??

Day late & dollar short I know. Next time try to get an easy side off if ther is such  a thing.

20191208_105701.jpg

20191208_110113.jpg

• Thanks 1

GMcC

Started on left side, old habits( drivers side). Did not even attempt to pull rt side as was warmed up with the cutoff wheel and went to town on it. Figured now that tranny is on bench might as well go all the way with freshening up the whole tractor.

513A472A-9160-4DB9-A9FB-44749E1A6507.jpeg

Edited by GMcC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1