Lane Ranger

RJ Wheel Horse Clutch Setting

Lane Ranger

What is the correct way to set the clutch on an RJ so it won’t pop so much that it can tip the tractor?

I should know this and may have known it at one time but I am stumped!

I know the two nuts at the end of the clutch/brake rod are key but what direction loosens or tightens the “grab” on the clutch? 

235BD3D9-3417-4C26-A137-547130D5DC7F.jpeg

677026F7-90A5-418C-8092-4529A3B1DC11.jpeg

peter lena

@Lane Ranger , lane , don't have an actual setting , but the detail that has helped all my linkages is  LUBRICATION AT EVERY POINT , AND AD WASHERS TO FIRM UP THE LEVER ACTION . none of my horses have linkage , grabs , start off in 3rd / hi range , no problem . also regularly give any movement point some lubrication, when the rust runs out , you are on track . just my own experience , no sarcasm intended. pete  

• Excellent 1

Racinbob

Adjusting those nuts only affects the brake band and will have no effect on the 'clutch' itself. I suggest that you make sure the engine and transmission pulleys are clean, the spring is in good shape and you use a covered belt. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Bob is correct.  Good clean pulleys are the answer.  Make where the belt goes shine and then wipe with mineral spirits.  You might (sparingly) wipe the belt also.  Lowering the idle to start out works also.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

wallfish

Those nuts should be adjusted so the brake band grabs the drum after the clutching is slipping the belt.

For the quick belt engagement, along with the advise above you may want to replace this cotter pin with a roll pin. That shaft goes to the idler pulley for the clutch and the cotter pin may be allowing the shaft to turn inside the lever which would have an effect on the belt engaging if it is.

235BD3D9-3417-4C26-A137-547130D5DC7F.jpeg.ca1eae11d293ee2d190840864d6681da.jpeg.dcbb302d14922969005c987c11589273.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
On 5/30/2021 at 9:25 PM, wallfish said:

Those nuts should be adjusted so the brake band grabs the drum after the clutching is slipping the belt.

For the quick belt engagement, along with the advise above you may want to replace this cotter pin with a roll pin. That shaft goes to the idler pulley for the clutch and the cotter pin may be allowing the shaft to turn inside the lever which would have an effect on the belt engaging if it is.

235BD3D9-3417-4C26-A137-547130D5DC7F.jpeg.ca1eae11d293ee2d190840864d6681da.jpeg.dcbb302d14922969005c987c11589273.jpeg

John Thank you!   I did replace the cotter pin with a 1/8 x one inch roll pin/   Much better grabbing and movement.    I also replaced  the clutcvh spring which was pretty worn.  

Works much better now .   I did three test runs last night!

I may work on the clutch again as I only have one nut on the end and a shourt brass tube and washer.   I had this setup on another RJ I have and it worked real well.     The tube may need to be shortened a little so I can add a second nut on end of the  short clutch/brake shaft rod