TJ5208

@pullstart @Achto  what kind of paint do you use for your horses if anyone else wants to chime in go ahead

oliver2-44

I use Rustoleum Regal Red and Majic Enamel Hardener thinned with lacquer thinner.  I use a Harbor Freight spray gun. 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

:text-yeahthat: Here is a post about it 

Gregor

I had been using Rustoleum "Chinese Red Lacquer" in a spray can, with Rustoleum  self etching primer. Topping it off with Rustoleum Gloss clear lacquer. On my last tractor ( C-125) I switched to Rustoleum "Regal Red" with enamel primer. If I can find it, I am switching back to the lacquer with self etching primer. I believe it gives a more glossy finish, and dries harder, quicker. The lacquer is a little more work, and is not as forgiving as the enamel, but gives a better finish, IMO.

As a side note;  Summer is here. Humidity level is just as important as temperature. Painting in high humidity can result in less than stellar results. At least it seems to work that way for me. I always try to maintain the humidity at 60% or less.

I should add that spraying from a can as I do, will NEVER give the high quality, high luster results as spraying form a gun, with automotive type finishes. Again, my opinion.

Edited by Gregor
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I use VanSickle International Harvester Red and IH Off White acrylic enamel.

IMG_20180304_095245346-min.jpg.9416735f60d8d1c6604a7e48776d11d5.jpg

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Regal Red!!! 

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

Rusty Tinsnips

Krylon Cherry Red on the Raider 10 and Rustyoleum Regal Red on the Raider 14

KIMG0645.JPG

KIMG0809.JPG

KIMG0764.JPG

• Excellent 1

TJ5208

Do you guys use hardenerds

Achto
33 minutes ago, Tj salyers said:

Do you guys use hardenerds

I always do.

TJ5208

What kind

Achto
5 minutes ago, Tj salyers said:

What kind

When possible use the hardener that is made by the same manufacturer as the paint that you are using. This way you will know that the hardener is made for the paint. For example - I like to use VanSickle acrylic enamel, so I use their acrylic enamel hardener.

At the very least make sure that you use a hardener designed for the type of paint that you are using. Example - VanSickle hardener made for acrylic enamel will not work with VanSickle oil based enamel. Different types of paint = different hardeners.

• Excellent 1

kpinnc

I've used so many versions of paint that I can't remember them all, but most are some flavor of IH red.

Valspar was decent if mixed with hardener, and had rattle cans to use for touch ups. Hard to find now.

Used a couple automotive paints too, but some are brittle and can chip off with a little bump. Maybe I used too much hardener...

Ace hardware has a decent IH red in rattle cans.