Gregor

The C-175 project

Tuneup

Yeah, just because everyone does it wrong doesn't mean you're crazy. One of those things... My house is wired at 20 amps for most of the box. The outlets are 15 amp. Never made sense to me but the inspectors think, fine! These are Pickens County inspectors so, there is that.

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Tuneup said:

proper orientation of that outlet!

I had to turn some over here because my wife wants her night lights standing UP ... so several have the ground pin on the bottom!

image.png.a57102f24a26b0cd5ebb1972f2910f03.png

One time she bent over to plug in her vacuum cleaner and the gold necklace she was wearing fell across the pins.  Good thing the ground was on TOP!  Skeert the bejeezus outta her but she didn't feel it!  Ruined a nice gold chain though.  I fix... it's a little shorter now.

Edited by Jeff-C175

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Gregor said:

Is 15 - 6.00 X 6 the right size for this tractor?

I'm thinking those are 310, (maybe 312?)

bds1984
5 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I had to turn some over here because my wife wants her night lights standing UP ... so several have the ground pin on the bottom!

image.png.a57102f24a26b0cd5ebb1972f2910f03.png

One time she bent over to plug in her vacuum cleaner and the gold necklace she was wearing fell across the pins.  Good thing the ground was on TOP!  Skeert the bejeezus outta her but she didn't feel it!  Ruined a nice gold chain though.  I fix... it's a little shorter now.

Situations like that is why the ground pin should be on the top.  It would have scared a lot of out me, too.

• Haha 1

Gregor

All of the outlets in my garage have the pin on top. In the house, they are on the bottom. That's the way my wife wanted them. With the pin on top, "They don't look right". I just work here, I don't run the place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tuneup
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

All of the outlets in my garage have the pin on top. In the house, they are on the bottom. That's the way my wife wanted them. With the pin on top, "They don't look right". I just work here, I don't run the place.

My apologies for hijacking the thread. I couldn't resist. Back to the topic at hand! :)

• Haha 1

c-series don

The correct size front tire for a C-175 is a 16-6.50/ 8 

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

Loved the necklace jewelry story - - LOL -- good giggle -- makes heck of a imagined picture in my mind when that happened ----- the way the electric receptacle install was taught to me in a electrical wiring course by a commercial instructor electrician was the ground goes up and the basis explained to me was hospital or other industrial situation that if the plug was not in all the way and a surgical tool fell on to the prong it would not be hot - thus, although either up or down is "correct" and "acceptable"  -- the best position, or proper way, is the ground prong up - that's how i have done for 25 yrs since being taught the "correct" outlet install

• Like 1

Gregor

I got a bright shiny new pen from Lincoln today. :P  More importantly, I finally received my replacement hood for my 175. :banana-dance: I am going to prep it the best I can, and paint it. I know I am going to regret not sending it out to be sand blasted, but I have literally waited weeks for this hood. I don't relish the idea of possibly having to wait 2 more weeks to have it blasted.

20210714_173248.jpg.23a6dec5709e3288e05dd1020075b302.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

The matte/satin/flat black will be very forgiving.  

Gregor
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The matte/satin/flat black will be very forgiving.  

Satin?  Not gloss?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
35 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Satin?  Not gloss?

Your choice of course, but the original was a satin finish.

When I repaint mine I'm going to try gloss first and if I don't like it I'll do a final coat of satin.

• Like 1

Gregor

Hmmmm   I didn't know that. My 125 is gloss. That;s going to create a problem when clear coating. When I did the 125, I painted the red and black, then clear coated the whole thing.I'm gonna have to think on it. :confusion-confused:

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Hmmmm   I didn't know that. My 125 is gloss. That;s going to create a problem when clear coating. When I did the 125, I painted the red and black, then clear coated the whole thing.I'm gonna have to think on it. :confusion-confused:

O. E. Likely wasn't cleared on any color. 

Like Jeff says it's really up to you. Trina's painted 3 for us and all have been either satin or flat but a nice smooth shine is a thing to behold. 

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, Gregor said:

problem when clear coating

I haven't looked, but isn't there a satin clear coat that you can use?

You're spraying HVLP?

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/sherwin-williams-finish-1-21-voc-satin-clearcoat/automotive-clear-coat-paint

Wow... looks like 150 a QUART!

Edited by Jeff-C175

Gregor
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I haven't looked, but isn't there a satin clear coat that you can use?

Yes, but then I couldn't clear coat the entire hood at once. There would be a demarcation line, and not a smooth finish.

• Sad 1

Gregor

So I prepped and painted the hood. Gloss Lacquer on everything, with 2 coats of clear. I was actually surprised it turned out as well as it did. UNTIL !20210715_192225.jpg.0bef00454291a136a098e2a678e00e8f.jpgFront

20210715_192241.jpg.f21c27177dd67993ed9f0eba1ae54002.jpgRight side

20210715_192319.jpg.b08da86540cc71c965c29dffc477a89b.jpgTop

20210715_192329.jpg.70d8213fe9c9aac9ba3454ee9ad3ab26.jpgLeft side. I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but the left side wrinkled up. The whole side! Garage door has been closed all day. 80 degrees in here. Humidity 62% or less. I have a dehumidifier running constantly, except while I am actually spraying paint. Why just one side wrinkled up completely, is beyond me. I guess I have some re-work to do.  :(

• Sad 2

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

I guess I have some re-work to do

looks good on the pictures.

Paint is something so sensitive. Once painted 4 SUV rims and I used primer, color and then a clearcoat. on one of the 4 rims I had a spot where the primer and the color coat did like each other.  Had to strip all the paint an start all over again using different brand base. 

Have seen a bumper that started wrinkeling in the hardening period, while done proffesional with the right paint. Probably did got all the tireshine off that slong of the tires on to the bumper

Gregor

For a long time, I didn't think it was ever going to happen, but the serial number tag, and new key ring are on the C-175. IT'S DONE ! :banana-wrench: I brought this tractor up to the garage on May 1 or 2. Here it is, August 17. It's been a marathon of a rebuild, and I didn't even rebuild the motor. I injured my back,  that put me down for a few days, and I'm still moving pretty slow, but most of this time has been spent waiting on parts. I really hate that. :ranting:

I repainted the hood this morning, and it turned out good. I opted for gloss black on the hood, since my 125 was already gloss. I didn't know they were suppose to be flat. Live and learn. I think it looks fine. It has new shoes, although I'm not real happy with the Deestones, they will have to do for now. I think if I were to raise the fender pan 1/2" I could sneak 26" Carlisles under there. Wouldn't be hard to do. I really like the look of the twin Briggs. I have not given up on the straight pipe exhaust just yet. If I could fine the right size pipe, and figure out how to bend it, I would try. I was painting the motor black one day, and noticed the hitch, and seat support still needed painting, so they are black. I used Navajo White on motor shrouds and wheels. I don't think it looks quite as yellow as the antique white. I like it better

This will be my last tractor rebuild, as I have no more storage. I'm not sure just yet how I am going to squeeze this one in, but I couldn't pass it up when it showed up for sale. This Is the last one.  UNLESS ! (There are always exceptions) If I should run across a D-200, a Senior, or a Lever Steer for the right price, I would probably be willing to sell one of my green and yellow tractors. :hide: Possibly ALL of them., but I won't let ANY tractor sit outside.

20210716_093012.jpg.8cf6776710287e2d091423ed562dd518.jpg

20210716_093228.jpg.5704b7165aaea6e4df5232f4c079f35c.jpg

20210716_092827.jpg.df22deeb31e6882429e19f208bb4cae6.jpg

20210716_093412.jpg.07b52d904b6c03473d6c801c112075f4.jpg

20210716_093012.jpg

Edited by Gregor
  • Excellent 5

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I didn't know they were suppose to be flat

Satin.  Big diff!  But WOW!  it looks great!  I'm going gloss on mine too.

I'd like to hear how it sounds with the twin martini shaker mufflers!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Looks fantastic G.

That Navajo white is the color that Trina and I use on our own wheels and engines. 

We had a 67 model year rear wheel off of which I had removed what was likely the original tires. That Navajo white was a near perfect match to the paint on the inside of that rim.

• Thanks 1

Gregor

I'm not sure. I think I may have had the choke on 1/2 way during this video. My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70BX6-if2g

I recently saw where someone had a header made for this engine. Anyone know that post? I can't find it.  Thanks  Greg

Edited by Gregor
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

Curiosity got the better of me. It always does. Went and picked up some pipe and fittings. I wanted to hear what it sounded like with just pipe, no muffler. looks a little crude, but it's effective. I don't think there is a big difference, but if I can find the right pipe, my fabricator guy says he can make it work. Obviously some adjustment will have to be made as far as pipe lengths.

Jeff-C175
50 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Obviously some adjustment will have to be made as far as pipe lengths.

I think they should be equal length.

• Like 1

Gregor

I actually kind-a like the look and sound of this set up.  It's hard being the camera man and throttle man both.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1