formariz

Unsolicited lectures

JCM

Well now, isn't that something. My Dads father was Greek, his Mother Portuguese and my Mother was Irish. I love Linguica, Loukaniko and a good boiled dinner on St Patty's day. I guess that means I'm a foreigner too. You both handled that extremely well.   :clap:

• Like 6

squonk

Right On Cas! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:

Amazon.com : Snapple - Lemon Tea - 16 fl oz (24 Plastic Bottles) : Grocery  & Gourmet Food

• Like 1

rmaynard

Well said Caz. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

It's a "Jersey Thing".  We have more Karens and ManKarens per capita than any other state.

I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, I'm still masking until  feel comfortable in not doing so.

By the way... my seasonal allergies have not been as bad this year in spite of it being a very high pollen season.  That's a big plus to wearing a mask!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 9

rmaynard
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

By the way... my seasonal allergies have not been as bad this year in spite of it being a very high pollen season.  That's a big plus to wearing a mask!

Over the last 10 years or so, as I have gotten older, seasonal allergies seem to have gotten worse. I don't see any difference with or without a mask. :dunno:

Everyone is different.

• Like 1

formariz

This is really sad. Specially due to the fact that it is not restricted to total strangers. It is happening with family and friends. We constantly get bombarded with a barrage of links specially uTube from family and friends regarding current events to support their beliefs. We have never ever tried to influence anyone about their decisions and outright avoid any conversation about it since it always leads to a stressful situation. Some "friends" even now avoid us because we do not have the same beliefs. What happened to the country where one could believe what ever ones conscience dictated and at the same time have a total understanding and respect for someone with a total opposite view? That was the country that I came to, and love, which allowed me to become who I am simply for the fact that all these other people so different from me, excepted me, my culture, my  beliefs and in a civil friendly  manner shared with me me theirs. It was that respect amongst so many different people and views that set this country apart from everything I ever knew or was taught.  Early in my professional life I was mentored by two individuals who were basically from different planets, one a Holocaust survivor and the other a member of the Hitler's youth ( forcibly so) . Where else in the world could that have happened? Could there have been a bigger difference between two individuals and their upbringing and  values in their respective societies? Yet each understood the others plight and were able  to here live together in harmony, respect and understanding despite the terrible wounds that existed. I learned more from those two individuals about the value of human life , respect and integrity in a short time than most will in a lifetime. Where else would that have been possible? Is that country gone forever now?

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3
  • Heart 5

Stormin

I'm sorry to say, it's the same in the UK. People trying to inflict their beliefs on others and if you don't agree, your in the wrong.

• Like 1

DougC

Where I live in Iowa people are all still in survival mode. We wear our masks and keep our distance unless an assault or a crime is being committed and help is needed ASAP. 

That woman is actually guilty of verbal assault on you and your wife and if you verbally "LET HER HAVE IT" It is called SELF DEFENSE. 

Thanks for sharing your experience today. You handled the encounter wisely and nobody got hurt unless the woman got her feelings hurt but hey.....She started it. Maybe she learned her lesson.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

LOL, Einstein had soooo much right. So much varies by perspective and relative position.

Doesnt make either observation wrong, just precisely correct for that specific perspective or relative position!!

One day I hope we can ,without judgement or trying to force our opinions,compare observations again and work together to achieve breakthroughs that amaze the world.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

It's been amazing to see people become militant over this. What befuddles me is they spout liberty and freedom, but they don't want you to have the freedom to choose to wear them. 

I haven't been sick in a year and a half and that has never happened in my 54 years, so something about the mask work!! 

I'm gonna continue for my health and just maybe to piss a few Karen's off!! 

Randy

• Haha 1

19richie66

My wife’s name is Karen. She’s not like that at all :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66

seuadr
On 5/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, formariz said:

We constantly get bombarded with a barrage of links specially uTube from family and friends regarding current events to support their beliefs.

same - i had to cut my sister mostly out of my life. she is a medical care aid in an old folks home, and not only does she believe it is all made up, but, that it would be good for these old folks to get it, to strengthen their immune system. makes me so mad i can barely see straight. only way i could keep peace was to stop talking to her except when needed, and even then keeping it short.

you can believe whatever crazy narrative you want - but, the "sheeple" crowd imposing their beliefs on everyone especially via shouting is not OK.

i've always believed your rights stop where you begin to infringe on others.

• Like 3

formariz

We are at the present in a rather sad state in this country. It is definitely not the same country it was five to six years ago. There is no tolerance for others and their different opinions and views. We cannot have a civil conversation about our views and beliefs without people becoming hostile and belligerent. All of my life here from a young age I never felt discriminated against or singled out. Incredibly now after  49 years I cannot say the same thing. It happens on a regular basis once they detect my accent. Immediately  many people are patronizing and outright condescending. Unfortunately for me I am not one to tolerate that kind of thing. As an example just the other day a neighbor of 35 years  all off a sudden starts a conversation about immigration and becomes right out insulting for no reason whatsoever. That was until I reminded him that I am an immigrant and took offense to his comments. I also reminded him that his last name pretty much told me that he is not an American Indian and therefore the offspring of an immigrant whos memory he was basically desecrating by the outrageous comments spewing from his ignorant mouth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, formariz said:

outrageous comments spewing

Sometimes I have to close my eyes, and consciously disconnect while remembering a phrase that has often helped me--"do not ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance".  I do admit that I sometimes change "ignorance" to "stupidity" if I've really had my buttons pushed.

A, to me, surprising number of people that I've been able to converse with at low decibels and without hyperbole are startlingly uninformed, partially informed, or outright mis-informed making them vulnerable in their ideas and actions. I lay that at the feet of social media that has made hyperbole the norm and newspapering obsolete (and yes, I know there were, and are, slanted and hyperbolic newspapers--the NY Post comes to mind--but I believe most tried to manage at least some level of journalistic balance in their reporting).

I can only hope (fervently) that, as with generations past that predicted doom, gloom, and the end of civilization, this one will find some way forward.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

RandyLittrell
On 6/8/2021 at 7:49 PM, 19richie66 said:

My wife’s name is Karen. She’s not like that at all :laughing-rolling:

Everytime your thread "Karen's 1054" come up, it catches me off guard!! I feel for her in these times!!

Randy

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

Everytime your thread "Karen's 1054" come up, it catches me off guard!! I feel for her in these times!!

Randy

Me too...  in fact, I'm going to stop using Karen as a euphemism for nosy, self-entitled, demanding, b1tc4es from here on out.  I know several lovely ladies named Karen.  I also know a number of supreme b1tc4s and b45t4rds of all other names, women and men.

It's just not fair to all the good and nice Karens in the world that they got 'stuck' with that persona somehow!

"One bad Karen don't spoil the whole bunch!"

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Heart 5

tunahead72

Likewise! :handgestures-thumbupright:

My daughter-in-law's mom is named Karen, and she's one of the nicest people I've ever met.

@Jeff-C175  You spell funny! :ychain:

• Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D
17 hours ago, Handy Don said:

"do not ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance".

Love it! An excellent attitude to take on SOOOO many levels!

tom2p
On 6/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, Handy Don said:

I lay that at the feet of social media that has made hyperbole the norm and newspapering obsolete (and yes, I know there were, and are, slanted and hyperbolic newspapers--the NY Post comes to mind--but I believe most tried to manage at least some level of journalistic balance in their reporting).

journalistic balance is now almost completely gone 

• Sad 1

Stormin

I had a journalist friend for many years. He'd no time for the daily tabloid journalists and various others. "They are not interested in the truth and good. Only a good story" he once said to me.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Hopefully Darwin will have a hand in this one and weed out the brain donors like caz met. We wear masks over here for shopping etc. Its common sense and common courtesy.

What the hell gave this woman the right to approach you and not only berate you for something that is not a criminal act, that is a personal choice and also a medical fact, but also show her bigoted ignorance. 

Honestly the way society is headed we will become extinct soon, not through an asteroid strike or super volcano, but just through being the most arrogant and objectionable species ever to walk this earth. 

• Like 5

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

species

We are only a species from our own point of view.

The Earth is a living entity and is producing it's own antibodies in the form of viruses to rid itself of US because from IT'S point of view WE are a virus!

If we think about what viruses do, we can see that's what Humans are from a bigger picture perspective.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2