Jakeshorsetuff

Hydraulic lift piston weak

Jakeshorsetuff

Hi everyone i was out cultivating my garden today with my 68 charger 12 with a hydraulic lift and when i got to the end of the row the piston struggled to pick up the cultivator and sleeve hitch weighing in at a max of a 150lbs. Everything else on the transmission works great and has plenty of power. When there is no weight on the hitch it seems to work fine. So my first plan of attack is to test the pressure going into the piston, if anyone knows the psi for one of these lifts and could tell me that would be great. If the psi is good than I'm thinking a seal must have blown in the piston which would be the best news. If a video would help i can post one tomorrow.  Any ideas of what it could possibly be would greatly be appreciated!! Thank You, Jake

• Like 2

Pullstart

I’m just thinking out loud, but have you checked your fluid level?  I don’t know if there’s a circuit that channels pressure to the drive system as a safety, or if it’s not related.  @daveoman1966 @pfrederi are pretty well versed in the automatic hydro gears.  Maybe they would have an idea?

Jakeshorsetuff

Just checked the fluid level this morning and all looks good. Clean and right at the full mark. Do you think it could possibly be a stuck check valve which is not letting enough fluid by?

JoeM

The system pressure should be 500-700 psi.

A simple test of the cylinder would be to run the cylinder out full stroke with a load, turn engine off, and see if there is any drift in the load. If drifting down the cylinder is bypassing and needs resealed.

You can can carefully loosen the opposite hose and see how much fluid is coming from the port, if the cylinder is drifting might get a bit messy. 

If bypassing there are kits from vendors here and it is not to big a job to replace the internal r-ring.

The other thing that could be wrong is the valve is leaking off and that test would require carefully  taking the pressure hose off a the pump and seeing if any oil is feeding back from the valve. 

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1

pfrederi

If you have the original Hydraulic cylinder it IS a big deal to reseal it.  You have to cut the end off fix it and reweld it.  Wheelhorse parts and more will do that for you .

Run the pressure test per the manual.  Your implement relief valve spring may have failed

test.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2