8ntruck

Covid Story

8ntruck

We just found out today that the couple across the street both have Covid.  They are in their 80's.  She has had her first vaccination and was days away from getting her second.  She is at home, with what appears to be a mild case.  Her husband, however, is in the hospital.  Not sure what his vaccination is, but he has had other health issues recently.

Their son is living with them, helping around the house.  He plays the guitar, and participates in a local weekly jamboree.   Turn out that he caught Covid from one of the other musicians in the jamboree , and brought it home to his parents.  He also has had his first vaccination, and was days away from getting his second.  Like his mother, he has a mild case.

The person who exposed him, was at one of the recent jamboree before he knew he had Covid.  This person has since developed symptoms and, unfortunately, died from Covid.

Our other neighbors across the street have a cousin who participates in the same jamboree.   He has caught what turns out to be a very severe case of Covid. He has been air lifted to a larger hospital, however, his prognosis is not good.

Covid is still out there, and is still very contagious.  Locally, the current number of new cases daily is higher than it was a year ago.   

Vaccines are out there, but they are not 100 percent effective.  After being fully vaccinated (about 2 weeks after the required number of shots), you still have a small chance of contracting Covid.  If, you do contract Covid, you can still pass it along to others. 

Please, do not get complacent about procedures to prevent the spread of Covid.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

tunahead72

That's some sobering news there, thanks for the reminder.  My wife and I have both been fully vaccinated, and our daughter (who lives with us) has had her first shot.  I sometimes get tired of hearing my daughter lecture us about being careful, but she's right and we're doing our best to keep others from getting this awful disease, especially our 9-month-old granddaughter.

Stay safe, guys!

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

I know the CDC  says if you are vaccinated you don't have wear a mask outside or indoors with some exceptions. I have been fully vaccinated for 6 plus weeks , my wife had her last shot on 4-28-2020 . We are still wearing our mask every where . I would rather be safe than sorry. A few months ago a friend tested positive , did not have any systems , but it scare the you know what out of everyone. Virginia is only 33 % fully vaccinated , when it reaches 70% then I start removing the mask. Just my :twocents-02cents:. Everyone stay safe.

• Like 7

oliver2-44

Thanks for the reminder.  Our church went mask optional last weekend.  My wife and I have been fully vaccinated for a while, but I don't feel comfortable in groups of people with out a mask.  I spend time with elderly family members every week or two to help out, and I have to be cautious for them.  Better safe than sorry!  

• Like 8

KAA 1973

I've had Covid and I have asthma, it is no joke.

It has changed my life and not for the better. I had it back in February and I can still only

work outside for a few hours before I feel like I ran a triathlon.  

• Sad 1

JoeM
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I don't feel comfortable in groups of people

We just don't fill comfortable at all in groups. Masks or not. 

We got the shots a while back but we still have been keeping to ourselves.

Frankly, my grandson ask about the show yesterday and I am a little nervous about it. 

We have had some cases in the family, mild to wild. One of the more extreme cases was the guy that was in great shape. He said while in the hospital he fought sleep in fear that he would not wake up. 

Another x coworker, this guy was gym nut, great shape...... gone in 3 weeks. 

I always been a trouble shooter. What works and the whatnots. I heard all kind of comments about masks, vaccines, distanting and really having a hard time that people, of average intelligence, just don't believe.

In my mind the bare idea that there is no one item that is a cure. All just tools in the box. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Nobody KNOWS!

Life is a W-H crap shoot, and I'm gettin' mines!  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D

January 4th 2020, I received a call that my little sister was unresponsive at a local nursing home. She had survived a brain tumor as a child, but had suffered multiple strokes over the years due to the effects of radiation therapy on the blood vessels in her brain and was very respiratorily compromised. A few days later after saying our goodbyes, Mrs and I both came down with a whopper of a flu like cold. Bear in mind this is before anyone had a clue about covid. My little sisters boyfriend at the home passed away at the time vaccines were being rolled out and had just gotten his first shot a couple days before. Daughter contracted covid from her work at a medical facility, and brought it home to her family, and my dad(who spends a lot of time with his great grandson). Everyone suffered a few symptoms, but otherwise did just fine.(mrs and I havent had so much as a sniffle since Jan 2020 even after keeping grandson and passed all covid screening).

We have taken losses, we have seen sickness in our family. We refuse to live in fear, but take sensible precautions: masks inside, social distancing outside, but will always respect the rights of the individual or buisiness owner to choose rather than a government to mandate.

Theres still much to know: did covid actually kill the flu?(my personal experience says"possibly")how long do vaccinations last? Are there long term side effects? For now, I have antibodies in my veins, but still wear a mask when appropriate for everyone elses peace of mind, and wait for more info!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 4

squonk

Remember the Vaccines do not prevent you from getting it. They prevent you from getting horribly sick from it. Like the flu vaccine, you can still get the flu but usually a mild case. I don't want to get political, but those people that won't get a vaccine really piss me off! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Charbs152
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Remember the Vaccines do not prevent you from getting it. They prevent you from getting horribly sick from it. Like the flu vaccine, you can still get the flu but usually a mild case. I don't want to get political, but those people that won't get a vaccine really piss me off! 

if you have the vax then what others do shouldn't matter to you since the vax will keep you "safe".

• Like 2

squonk
15 minutes ago, Charbs152 said:

if you have the vax then what others do shouldn't matter to you since the vax will keep you "safe".

But if you contract it, you can pass it along to someone else who might not be vaxxed. That is the danger.

• Like 2

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, Charbs152 said:

I'm hoping you forgot to put a smiley on a humorous remark.

If not, then IMHO this position isn't entirely correct.  A vac'd person is unlikely to get any of the variants for which it was designed and very unlikely to get seriously ill if they do get one. But they can carry the virus and since they will likely be asymptomatic, they can be a spreader and infect others without even knowing they themselves are sick.

And all bets are off if we get a serious invasion of a non-targeted variant.

• Like 2

Charbs152
12 minutes ago, squonk said:

But if you contract it, you can pass it along to someone else who might not be vaxxed. That is the danger.

and its that persons choice to not be vaxxed thereby accepting  whatever false "danger" you think there is

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 2

Charbs152
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I'm hoping you forgot to put a smiley on a humorous remark.

If not, then IMHO this position isn't entirely correct.  A vac'd person is unlikely to get any of the variants for which it was designed and very unlikely to get seriously ill if they do get one. But they can carry the virus and since they will likely be asymptomatic, they can be a spreader and infect others without even knowing they themselves are sick.

And all bets are off if we get a serious invasion of a non-targeted variant.

Which is why the covid jab is a sham!

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I have my opinions and other peoples opinions differ from mine, it is the nature of being human(NOT of being hard headed, or brainwashed on either side of the issue). I choose to respect whoever's opinion, by making the environment we share as comfortable as possible for them, whether that includes, masking and social distancing, by being polite when asking someone to please wear a mask or back up a bit, or by removing myself to a distance where they are comfortable when I'm not in a mask. We all have our opinions and view things from different perspectives that not everyone can understand. My view from rural West Virginia where my daily routine MIGHT take me around 10 people, is way different from a more urban setting where that 10 people is just getting to your car in a morning as well.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

My opinions on the vaccines are that is up to each individual to conduct their own cost vs. reward analysis and make a decision that is best for them. Then respect the opinions of others as stated before.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

I wonder if the 586,000 people dead in the U.S. would get vaccinated if they had another chance??  :eusa-think:

I know that number is not accurate, could be less, could be more...so don't go there.  :dunno:

• Like 5

stevasaurus

@Wheel Horse 3D  Up above you typed...

__________________________________________________________________________________

We have taken losses, we have seen sickness in our family. We refuse to live in fear, but take sensible precautions: masks inside, social distancing outside, but will always respect the rights of the individual or buisiness owner to choose rather than a government to mandate.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Do you think you could show me just one piece of material where the Government has mandated people to get the vaccine??  :dunno:

Wheel Horse 3D
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

@Wheel Horse 3D  Up above you typed...

Do you think you could show me just one piece of material where the Government has mandated people to get the vaccine??  :dunno:

I did not say the government mandated. I simply stated I support your right to choose rather than have the government mandate. Governments do not relinquish power easily, no matter what the reason. Now, since you have asked, and pointed me out individually, is there anything you disagree with I have said? I am willing to politely debate.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well, I'm just thinking, if it didn't happen, then why say what you did??  If you read that, it could be taken a few different ways.  It's just the kind of thing that divides us rather then brings us together.  

You can bet, if some others had made statements like that, I would say something about it or close this thread.  No Politics.

Wheel Horse 3D

I'm sorry if you find that offensive or misleading. I support EVERYONES right to choose(whichever way they choose) rather than the government to mandate ANYTHING. I wasn't speaking of vaccinations in particular. We have heard the word "mandate" so often that it doesn't necessarily apply to JUST vaccinations. I'm glad we clarified.

• Like 1

ranger
10 hours ago, squonk said:

I agree that in a democracy, the public has the right, (within reason), to make certain choices, free speech, etc, but what would their reaction be if they had a bad accident, say on a motorcycle whilst not wearing a helmet, or a serious automobile crash whilst not wearing a seat belt, or a non vaccinated person, (personal choice), catches Covid and is critically ill, and the medical insurance, Hospital, or in the UK, the NHS, refused to treat or pay for treatment of the person involved, (contributory negligence?), I personally wear a crash helmet on a bike, wear a seat belt in a car, and I have had both “jabs”! 

Whoever you are, whatever your decision, Take Care and Stay Safe.

Doug.

Edited by ranger
  • Like 5

stevasaurus

So, I guess you are driving without a license and without insurance??  I guess you didn't get vaccinated in the 5th grade, or in boot camp??  Did you get drafted like me??  Do you like clean air, clean water, good meat & poultry??  How about truth in advertising...grade A eggs, labels on what is in all the foods you buy??  When it says "Made in America"??  Do you have a license to fish or hunt??  Did you register to vote??  What did you fight for??   Let me guess...Truth, Justice and the American Way !!  :USA:  :orcs-cheers:

Wheel Horse 3D

I also further clarified my positions a bit further down in the thread. I had a wise 'ol Sergeant one who told me fighting for freedom means this: "If you truly stand for freedom, and fight for the Flag, you also fight for the freedom for someone to burn that same Flag."

Kind struck home to me that its not about opinions, or which side. Maybe I disagree with your opinion, but I have risked my life to ensure you have the RIGHT to that opinion and will always treat you with respect no matter your opinion, and treat YOUR opinion with the same respect as my own.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

So, I guess you are driving without a license and without insurance??  I guess you didn't get vaccinated in the 5th grade, or in boot camp??  Did you get drafted like me??  Do you like clean air, clean water, good meat & poultry??  How about truth in advertising...grade A eggs, labels on what is in all the foods you buy??  When it says "Made in America"??  Do you have a license to fish or hunt??  Did you register to vote??  What did you fight for??   Let me guess...Truth, Justice and the American Way !!  :USA:  :orcs-cheers:

I do obey the law of the land, doesn't always mean i feel its right,   No I didn't get drafted, I volunteered.  I do believe in being good stewards of nature. I prefer farm fresh eggs...Yes I practice my sacred duty to vote. What did I fight for???...I think I clarified that already.

• Heart 1