GMcC

Newbie needs help

GMcC

So I have yet again dove head first into another hobby. Started out few weeks ago saw an ad in FB for 1973 Wheel Horse 12-8 (no name) tractor, had a belly mower, disk and a rock rake for a negotiated price. My first thoughts “ something to simply pull a garden cart around, utility trailer from backyard to front yard to hook to my truck ( limited space in back yard as cannot get my crew cab truck back there). Get it home, straighten out few items then a thought hits me”hey, find a tiller attachment to use in my veggie garden vs the walk behind tiller which takes its toll on this 63 year old knee. Needless to say that was not an easy task. Located another 1971 Raider, bad 12hp engine ,  another 12 horse Kohler ready to go on it, a snow plow(useless here in Alabama), a belly mower, and a Tiller!! My problem this package deal ( of which wife and I drove 500 miles to get) is lots of loose parts, thus I need some beginner instructions as to what all is needed to attach this tiller to my first tractor( diagrams would be appreciated). Thanks in advance.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square !!

Obviously, we know what a 12-8 looks like, but we like pictures.  Talking about pictures, it would be nice to see pictures of the tiller or a model number to be able to help you out.  I will tell you that we have a "Manuals Section" on the Main Page that you are welcome to page through and copy anything you want.  The Manuals about tillers will show you what horses they work on and how to hook them up.  You can consider your 12-8 no name a "C" series tractor for purposes of what attachments fit.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

GMcC

From my research this is considered a Raider ( model 1-0350). The tiller is a model 7-1252 per tag. Photo of tiller & donor tractor of which I intend to rob parts from(model 1-0310 Raider 12-6). Thanks in advance as I am out of my league here as of this moment.

9E26C67B-D6E6-41C3-92BA-FEE362CB3FF8.jpeg

9AAE266C-9750-48ED-B8D0-8E8A6CD9F93A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GMcC

There is some other loose pieces he provided just un for sure  (as was he) if they pertain to the tiller attachment. (This was his grandfather of which he somewhat inherited). 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent, we were all out of our league when we joined here...it is OK.  There is a support with a pulley that guides the belt.  did you find a manual??  The last picture shows something bolted to your axles on the trans...not sure what that is.  Thinking it should be a attach-a-matic thingy.  Need some other guys to hop in here.  We do have the answers for you.  That is a regular tiller...it should work fine.

gwest_ca

Click on the picture in each link for more info on each model

The rear axle hitch you have is for the earlier dozer blades. You need a hitch that mounts under the axle housing instead of in front of it. It is illustrated in the tiller manual.

This list shows where the front mounted hitch was used

Dozer DNA of long tractor frame dozer blades

1966-1967 model BD-426 - Fits LONG frame tractors - Mounts ahead of the rear axle - replaced by

1968 model 6-1111 - Fits LONG frame tractors - Mounts ahead of the rear axle

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1968 model 6-4111 - First to fit LONG & SHORT frame tractors and first to mount under the rear axle with a loose A-frame crossbar - replaced by

1969 model [6-4112 + 6-9621]

1970-73 model [6-4113 + 6-9622]

1973-74 model [6-4113 + 6-9623]

1974 model [6-4114 + 6-9624]

1974 model 6-2131

1975 model 6-2132

1976 model 6-2133

1976 model 66-42BC01

1977 model 76-42BC01

1978 model 86-42BC01

1979 model 96-42BC01

1980 model 06-42BC01 - (Last blade to have a loose A-frame crossbar #7701)

1981-1984 model 06-42BC02 (Up to here including this one they are 42" wide) and (First blade to have a welded-in rear A-frame crossbar)

1984-1989 model 06-48BC01 (They are now 48" wide) - replaced by the following

1990 model 06-48BC02 (Last blade to have 3 angle positions)

1991-1993 model 06-48BC03 (First blade to have 5 angle positions)

1993-2001 model 79350 - (105-1502 kit adapts 2001 and older GT Classic-Series blades to fit 2002 and later tractors

2002 2004-2009 2012 model 79364 - (105-1501 kit adapts 79364 blade to fit 2001 and older GT Classic-Series)

Keep the questions coming

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Not so fast on the front blade as they can be used to move dirt, gravel,  back dragging or what ever else it can be called upon for. 

Looks like Garry has got you hooked up on manuals but let us know you anything else. 

Like Dino said we like our pics and those will help us nail down other parts. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:One of our vendors WheelHorse parts and More has lots of reproductions parts to help keep our horses going.  For your tiller you will need an idler pulley bracket and misc parts.  He has 2 models, the manual and some of the guys will help you figure which one you need.  Here is a link to one of them to give you the general idea   https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/wheel-horse-toro-tiller-bracket-with-guard/

The 12hp and an 8 speed will do everything you ask of it.  As WHX24 mentioned the snow dozer blade is excellent for pushing gravel or some landscape work.  I have rear weights and chains on a 16hp and have moved a lot of dirt with it.

It looks like the transmission rear seals are leaking on your tractor.  be sure to check the transmission oil level before you do much work with it.  It uses 80/90 weigh gear oil, any brand is fine.  When you get around to replacing those axle seals, come back here and talk to guys about how to remove the wheel hubs.  They are cast iron and brittle/a little fragile.    

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

GMcC

Thanks for all the help guys,, looks like I have some printing and reading to start on when I get in from work this pm. 

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  the plow bracket on the rear axle looks a bit custom.  Hopefully you have the correct one for your tiller as that will not work well for you.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  seeing the odds and ends parts you have could help us let you know where they should go..

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Some body has also had at least the left rear hub off, probably  broke it getting it off hence the late style hub. I would pull the wheels and check the bearings seals & keys. You will also need that mid mount idler to run the tiller. 

Lee1977
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:  the plow bracket on the rear axle looks a bit custom.  Hopefully you have the correct one for your tiller as that will not work well for you.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  seeing the odds and ends parts you have could help us let you know where they should go..

That bracket should work if it turned around and installed on the back side of the axle housing. If in the loose parts you have look for one that installs on the bottom of the axle it will work with both the tiller and snow blade.

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

That bracket should work if it turned around and installed on the back side of the axle housing. If in the loose parts you have look for one that installs on the bottom of the axle it will work with both the tiller and snow blade.

It’s hard telling how the plow mounts.  I have a “custom” like this mount where the plow has a tab on each side and the mount has a double shear bracket for a set of pins.

GMcC

The tractor in the photos is the 1971 Raider 12-8 that I got with the "package" purchase of which will be my "donor" parts tractor.  Few weeks earlier I purchased a 1973 12-8 (no name / Raider) is the actual tractor I am somewhat refurbishing..

stevasaurus

Here is a pick of the rear attachamatic you want to find.  This is standing on end...rotate 90 degrees clockwise and mount on rear axle with those clips facing toward the rear. 

2009_0824welding0006.JPG

The bottom of this picture is what would attach in those clips.

9E26C67B-D6E6-41C3-92BA-FEE362CB3FF8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

GMcC

Do NOT recall seeing that item in my pile of parts. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

oliver2-44

you can post an ad in the Classified Section, or one of our vendors WheelHorse Parts and More makes reproduction rear attachamatic hitches. 

gwest_ca

I believe the hitch above is the hitch you have mounted on the front of the axle housing.

Here is the one that mounts under the axle housing for dozers and tillers on your 1973 tractor.

Hitch ahead of rear axle SS.jpg

Hitch under rear axle SS.jpg

GMcC

This is a snapshot of the pile of parts he gave to me ( along with a couple or so items I got when I purchased the 1973 Wheel Horse 12-8 a few week earlier). 

71F9164A-9F20-408F-AA73-AF4B82AFF2C7.jpeg

kpinnc

That's the tiller hitch on the left 2nd row. Just move the clips and brackets over to it and you'll be set.

The pulley bracket in the middle also goes with it. 

Edited by kpinnc

gwest_ca

These are used with the tiller. You could use the flat bars off the rear hitch on the other tractor I think.

Clevis hitch used for rear attachments other than tiller.

Tiller hitch parts.jpg

GMcC

Thanks for the info guys. After reading manuals / viewing diagrams it is slowly starting to gel inside my head. Still have a long list of "to-do's" left on my initial purchased tractor (1973 12-8 no name),,,tranny seals,etc,,already re-wired,,thus will be a few days/weeks before IO can start to focus on the attachment(s) issues.