Ifixoldjunk

So, I wanted a mower deck for my nice 310-8, and sorta ended up with a second 310-8. It has a kohler k241 currently but I’d like to convert the tractor into a redneck atv of sorts. I’d like to cut down on the weight by swapping a predator 212 in and ditching the battery. Has anyone done this before? I’d love to see pictures or hear input from people.17F634AF-0C31-430F-A804-BC1996B01A98.jpeg.73d0a5ba2f05a1fd840959cbf42213fa.jpeg

ebinmaine

@Greentored could have some good input here.

To be honest I'm not sure you really want to cut down on the weight, particularly at the front.... You're going to end up with a front end that's a LOT lighter. That can be very hazardous.

Was it me I would stick right with that Kohler. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ifixoldjunk
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

To be honest I'm not sure you really want to cut down on the weight, particularly at the front.... You're going to end up with a front end that's a LOT lighter. That can be very hazardous.

Yeah, I’ve had some mud mowers do wheelies before, I know what that’s like🤣

Not really intending this one to go all to fast though so I think it’ll be fine.👍

Maxwell-8
3 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Not really intending this one to go all to fast though so I think it’ll be fine.👍

the most dangerous wheelies will happen at slow speeds. Predator-swap is very easy,( you will need a different pulley).

Me, I just wouldn't like to have a cheap chinees engine in my American Stallion.

Please don't go jumping with it. Don't no how the transbearing will hold up to that 

And since you can't change gears while driving, you should opt for a tracta with a Tecumseh 5 speed tranny. Trail riding will be more fun, shifting thru the gears

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ifixoldjunk
24 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

the most dangerous wheelies will happen at slow speeds. Predator-swap is very easy,( you will need a different polie).

Me, i just would like to have a cheap chinees engine in my American Stallion.

PLease don't go jumping with it. Don't no how the transbearing will hold up to that 

And since you can't change gears while driving, you should opt for a tracta with a Tecumseh 5 speed tranny. Trail riding will be more fun, shifting thru the gears

Haha thanks man, I think describing it as a mud mower wasn’t the best choice. Just want a trail rig kinda to get things done in the woods. Light enough not to get bogged down in the mud and stuff and a little quicker than walking.😄

• Like 3

Maxwell-8
4 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

17F634AF-0C31-430F-A804-BC1996B01A98.jpeg.73d0a5ba2f05a1fd840959cbf42213fa.jpeg

Seems like the owner before you had long legs as he made deeper footrests (or keeping his muddy feet from slipping off

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Seems like the owner before you had long legs as he made deeper footrests (or keeping his muddy feet from slipping off

I think that’s an illusion...  The pedal makes it look like a box in the foot rest :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

Pullstart

We currently have one tractor that’s 6.5 predator powered.  @SylvanLakeWH built it.  It’s never let us down in the power department, but I’ve never done more than pulling a trailer with it either.  It’s a C-series 8 speed black hood.  As for weight savings... well, there’s a bit extra on the machine now.  I truly don’t think weight savings anywhere on a tractor for trail riding is necessary though.

7CC8543A-8C42-4590-947E-3108C5A00947.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Haha thanks man, I think describing it as a mud mower wasn’t the best choice. Just want a trail rig kinda to get things done in the woods. Light enough not to get bogged down in the mud and stuff and a little quicker than walking.😄

I run a 74 C160 that weighs in at 1150 or 1200 lbs with me on it. 

WEIGHT   =  TRACTION.... To a point. 

Mud here here is rarely more than 5 or 6 inches deep with a base of stone below that. 

What kind of terrain will you be trying to tackle?

Ifixoldjunk
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I run a 74 C160 that weighs in at 1150 or 1200 lbs with me on it. 

WEIGHT   =  TRACTION.... To a point. 

Mud here here is rarely more than 5 or 6 inches deep with a base of stone below that. 

What kind of terrain will you be trying to tackle?

Just the normal upstate NY woods, rocky terrain and some mud, mostly level though. I could probably get away with keeping some more weight on it in that case

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Just the normal upstate NY woods, rocky terrain and some mud, mostly level though. I could probably get away with keeping some more weight on it in that case

If the known muddy areas aren't very deep you'd really be better off for traction to be as heavy as possible. 

You could speed up the tractor a bit by a pulley swap. 

I run mine quite slow because the woods here is VERY rough. 

I never get into 3rd gear unless out on the flat of the driveway. 

Lee1977

Here is the tractor I take in the woods/  It's raised up a couple of inches with reinforced front spindles for 6" wheels and 400 x 8 triribs and 25 x 9oo x 12 on the rear. The rear fender and gas tank is raised 1 3/4". 

and has 80 lbs. of wheel weights in each rear wheel. I also raised the steering wheel 3". Other then that it is a stock 312-8 except for the reinforced foot pads. The original owner must have weighted 500 lbs. the way 

the foot pads were bent up. I hammered them back straight and welded a 3/8" rod under the out side edge. They don't give now when I climb on. I almost forgot I added a frame brace. Its still a worker

grading, mowing, trailer and wagon puller.

SAM-0888-2.jpg

SAM-1001.jpg

SAM-0872.jpg

SAM-0460.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

It's raised up a couple of inches with reinforced front spindles for 6" wheels.  

I added a frame brace. 

SAM-0872.jpg

SAM-0460.jpg

@Ifixoldjunk

There's a couple mods you should really put some thought to. 

A chain will always break at it's weakest link. 

Reinforcing these two areas will add a ton bulletproofosity to your ride. 

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Ifixoldjunk

There's a couple mods you should really put some thought to. 

A chain will always break at it's weakest link. 

Reinforcing these two areas will add a ton bulletproofosity to your ride. 

Oh cool, I’ll definitely consider doing those. Looks like it’ll add quite some strength 

• Like 1

Lee1977
2 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Oh cool, I’ll definitely consider doing those. Looks like it’ll add quite some strength 

One more thing to check and fix if it's broken is the bolt tab on the front axle pivot. Another thing I've done to all my Wheel Horse is Heims Joints on the tie rods. Fix the steering column support om the hood stand the bushing  is either already worn are going to wear.

Here is the pictures of the front spindle reinforcement.

SAM-0477.jpg

SAM-1011.jpg

This is the bearing I used, as I had a good used one. Others have used a flanged ball bearing.

SAM-1015.jpg

SAM-0972.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 1

Greentored
On 5/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, ebinmaine said:

Cant say enough good about those Predators, they are about bomb proof and cheap, but that 10hp Kohler will still have more torque down real low where you really want it for lugging stuff around- and the weight youre gonna want up front!

I have my fun with an old B-100 specifically done up for off roading, and these guys posts above have hit the nail on the head with bracing in the right places, the need for front end weight, etc....

My advice would be to do as you like and have a blast- these things are a beast and dont break parts very often, but dont make any mods that cant be undone and put back to stock one day. They dont make these old machines anymore, and once theyre gone, theyre gone.

b1d.jpg

Edited by Greentored
  • Excellent 3

Ifixoldjunk
48 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Cant say enough good about those Predators, they are about bomb proof and cheap, but that 10hp Kohler will still have more torque down real low where you really want it for lugging stuff around- and the weight youre gonna want up front!

I have my fun with an old B-100 specifically done up for off roading, and these guys posts above have hit the nail on the head with bracing in the right places, the need for front end weight, etc....

My advice would be to do as you like and have a blast- these things are a beast and dont break parts very often, but dont make any mods that cant be undone and put back to stock one day. They dont make these old machines anymore, and once theyre gone, theyre gone.

b1d.jpg

Definitely understand that much, they certainly don’t make them like they used to. fortunately this 310-8 is pretty rough, hoods falling in half and the wiring is ruined, perfect for a mud mower. I’d love to keep the kohler in it but it’s needed for another horse, lol 

• Like 1