Sign in to follow this  
Steven_McGivney

I screwed up

Steven_McGivney
  • Guys, I have to admit I screwed up,  I have a 1985 418-8, it started leaking oil from the transaxle,, every shaft but input shaft. I started to use the drill method to remove oil seal from input shaft, bad lighting, old age, and stupidity, the input pulley had worn a nice shiny surface,,, yup I drilled into the casing, not once but a couple times , couldn't figure out why it didn't pop out,,,.  Well, in my defense I have never seen such a small oil seal , I used to work a on large stuff, with a nice shiny tin collar to the rubber lip.  Well, I also was only able to remove both axle hubs, one axle woodruff key, so all seals are now out ,, the one woodruff key is in the way of that seal complete removal. I've done everything I can think of to get that woodruff key out,, I guess it was a press fit and 35 years old. So, now I guess I'll take the transaxle apart, take the split ring off the axle and pull it out to remove old oil seal and replace that one with new seal. I'm also sure I nicked the input shaft needle bearing I guess I'll pop that out and replace it. Next when I put this back together, I'll try some liquid metal to repair my crazy drilling holes and chipped out areas. Other than laughter,, do any of you guys ever use a liquid metal before,,,, what would you use to supper clean the area ??  anyone have an idea to get a super stubborn woodruff key out ???
  • Sad 1

pfrederi

Use the cutoff wheel of a dremel Cut a slot in the key length wise. make it deep.  The you can collapse the sides in to the center and it will come out.

• Like 5

bc.gold

Possibly someone used a Loctite product to secure the key, put a bit of heat onto the key to loosen it.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Take a small cold chisel and hit the key from the outside end, toward the transmission.  The key is soft metal, don't be afraid to hit it, you can replace it easily.  ACE, TSC and Auto Stores have woodruff keys.  

Use diesel to clean your transmission, and then Denatured Alcohol to "super" clean.  Epoxy or almost any liquid metal will seal the holes you drilled.

Measure your axles to determine if you have 1" or 1 1/8" diameter axles.  There is a conversion chart pinned at the top of this transmission section that will give you all the bearing & seal numbers and crossover numbers.  You will want the Chart # 3.  :occasion-xmas:

If you do decide to open the transmission, this thread will help to put your transmission back together...it has videos.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

peter lena

have used a small solid punch with a 3 lb hammer and penetrating oil, driving down from the top on end of key , if you can block up the impact area , giving you the advantage if solid , lubricated impact , it has moved with ease , you have to eliminate any possible bouncing , force on force will make it swing pete

• Like 2

roadapples

JB Weld for the holes...

• Like 2

Pullstart

If all else fails, possibly someone nearby or @A-Z Tractor Lincoln would have a spare right side transmission case?

• Like 1

Steven_McGivney

Well guys I have not a dremel tool, but I could probably get one into my drill and cut into that key way,, one of you guys mentioned it was soft metal,,,,,, I couldn't even dent it with a prick punch or even drill a dent into it, its hard steel.   thought well, I'll split the case and drop the axle out and put the seal on it and put it back into transmission ,, I left the one woodruff key in place...While I have the case apart I'll try to figure why my Hi/Lo went out about 10 years ago...I figured lots of grass had piled up against the shifter and kept pressure on the indent ball wearing it out....    The casing is apart, the axle is loose ready to come out ,,, ( using some of your great videos) I am stuck, I've taken some of the gears out,,, but the hi/lo gears seem stuck in place so I can't get that really big gear out...The hole for the hi/lo indent ball has a metal concave cap into the hole,, do I just stick an awl into it and wrench this piece out so I can hopefully get to the indent balls and spring...???    I wonder if the indent has jammed in the body of the gear shaft ?? the mystery  goes on...thanks for all the really great input..steve

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

stevasaurus

That little cap...yes, an awl might work, or a small drill.  The hole is 1/4"...when you put this back together, just put a dab of grease or caulk in that hole.

The hi/low gear has a shaft holding it in place.  You punch the shaft in from the outside of the case.  The hi/low shifter has a roll pin holding that together.

Here is a copy of the manual...use part V for you trans.  Use the manual along with the videos.

You can't get those gears out unless you pull out the shift rails.  The shift rail and  a fork gear come out together.  The détente balls and spring are between the 2 shift rails.  The balls pop out easy, but the spring and stop come out through the trans case hole with that plug being in the way.  I assume that you have pulled out the regular shifter.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1