Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

Horse Newbie

So for the last 5 to 6 months I have been working on getting my 1994 520H up to operating condition after buying it from a friends backyard a few years ago...now that I'm 99 percent done with the tractor I want/ have to get the 48 inch SD deck that came with it up to operating condition also.

As you can see by the pics I have a lot of work to do/ full restoration...I have a few questions be fore I get started...

1. Do the two wheels on the back of the deck control the cutting height ?

2. Where/ who is a good source for parts ?...I would like to go back with as much new parts as possible, but some of the pricier parts I will probably be willing to use used if my budget forces me to ( spindle are my main concern here).

As you may be able to see from the pics, the front center of the deck has been knocked back quite a ways ( looks like PO centered a concrete driveway/ sidewalk edge, or one stout survey corner stob. 

Any suggestions about straightening the front edge would be greatly appreciated.

Also if any of you would have the center front wheel bracket on a junk deck that you would be willing to cut off and sell to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

20210513_161011_HDR.jpg

20210513_160940.jpg

20210513_160947.jpg

20210513_161021.jpg

20210513_161040.jpg

20210513_161047.jpg

20210513_161053.jpg

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

spindle are my main concern here

Spindles seem to be the problem for everyone, ain't there a way to fix, restore our old spindles?

11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Any suggestions about straightening the front edge would be greatly appreciated.

Heat the snot out of it, and the plier or hamer time.

12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do the two wheels on the back of the deck control the cutting height ?

yup

• Thanks 1

Goldnboy

I would start here for NOS are like new parts

20201104_095011.jpg

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Try K& B in our vendor section . If you provide part numbers it is easier for him to check inventory and give a response. Also A-Z  in our vendor section has inventory of used parts. Wheelhorse parts in our vendor section  has a section of deck parts .  I have purchased from all 3 . If you are going to the BS Ed Kennel has his bucket trailer full of used parts . 

• Like 5

gwest_ca

Manuals in case you do not have them.

Click on the fuzzy picture in the link to view an upgrade

Garry

• Thanks 1

pacer
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

front edge would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot, that little ole dent, that aint hardly worth fooling with..........

Seriously tho, that really isnt bad we get them MUCH worse than that. My solution is to turn the deck upside down and with a 12-14lb sledge and some muscle whang the dickens out of it.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

If you are going to the BS Ed Kennel has his bucket trailer full of used parts . 

Would love to go to the BS, but this may not be the year I make it...a trip that far from Monroe/ Charlotte NC takes a little planning, and I haven't made any...:crying-blue:

• Sad 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, pacer said:

Shoot, that little ole dent, that aint hardly worth fooling with..........

Seriously tho, that really isnt bad we get them MUCH worse than that. My solution is to turn the deck upside down and with a 12-14lb sledge and some muscle whang the dickens out of it.

Ha !...I'm certain a B I G hammer will be involved with straightening the deck...and that "little dent" will have to be fixed.

Look at the 2 front brackets on the top of the deck. I think they were bent forward as the front bottom edge was forced back during the damage. I think they are supposed to point straight up...agree anyone ?

20210513_161021.jpg

elcamino/wheelhorse

All that is required for a BS visit is time off from work ( or if retired , permission from SWMBO ) room reservation , pocket full of cash , a smile on your face , a chair to sit in and chew the fat (lie) to a great bunch of people.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
6 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

permission from SWMBO )

What is SWMBO ?... I've seen that on here but can't decipher it.

oliver2-44

SWMBO She Who Must Be Obeyed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oliver2-44

The 42" deck on my sons 312-8 had the front bent similar to that when we restored it. A rosebud torch, and 2 hand sledge hammers.  Use one sledge to backup the area your hitting with the other sledge. This helps keep things somewhat straight as you work the dent out.  On our rebuild we salvaged the spindle shafts and housing and replaced bearings and seals.      We also installed larger diameter rear wheels to raise the cutting height of the deck.  I don't have the size here, but we went as large diameter wise as would fit in the space.

• Like 2

roadapples
12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What is SWMBO ?... I've seen that on here but can't decipher it.

Don't  feel bad. I had to Google it...

• Haha 2

pacer
12 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

B I G hammer will be involved with straightening the deck...and that "little dent" will have to be fixed.

Look at the 2 front brackets on the top of the deck. I think they were bent forward as the front bottom edge was forced back during the damage. I think they are supposed to point straight up

I think you may be right  - and that is another thing that we run into..... yeah, thats some pretty serious damage there and  it'll take more than a few whacks with a BFH. Personally, I would just remove the wheel/mount - when they are that bad I do (never saw that they were a whole lot help anyway!) Looks like you will have to weld a scab over the hole, leaving it open will affect the flow of clippings discharge, and weaken the integrity of the housing also. My guess was when the original 'event' happened the center blade was hitting the bent in section and gnawed that hole.

On the worst one I had, it had several gouges along the front edge, I removed that wheel and welded a patch over that area, then ground it smooth all across.  I then scrounged up a length of 1/2" round stock and welded it across the length of it, that stiffened it back up gave the benefit of withstanding those invariable hitting roots, rocks. etc.

• Like 1

pacer

Had another thought on your rebuild that doesnt seem to have been addressed ....

As you are disassembling it look very closely at all the hangers mounting points, they are VERY prone to start cracking at their mounting points and once a crack starts it spreads quickly. Get these cracks welded while they are easily accessible.

From looking at your pix it appears you have a pretty nice deck, and getting any of these problems addressed now will really pay off.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, pacer said:

once a crack starts it spreads quickly. Get these cracks welded while they are easily accessible.

:text-yeahthat:

Part of the repair process is to drill small holes at the very ends of the crack prior to welding.  This relieves the stress on the crack and prevents it from spreading, even after the crack is welded and the drilled holes are closed again.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
15 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Ha !...I'm certain a B I G hammer will be involved with straightening the deck...and that "little dent" will have to be fixed.

Look at the 2 front brackets on the top of the deck. I think they were bent forward as the front bottom edge was forced back during the damage. I think they are supposed to point straight up...agree anyone ?

20210513_161021.jpg

I would suggest using ear protection!!😳

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
11 hours ago, pacer said:

Had another thought on your rebuild that doesnt seem to have been addressed ....

As you are disassembling it look very closely at all the hangers mounting points, they are VERY prone to start cracking at their mounting points and once a crack starts it spreads quickly. Get these cracks welded while they are easily accessible.

From looking at your pix it appears you have a pretty nice deck, and getting any of these problems addressed now will really pay off.

Thank you @pacer...I have already noticed some stress cracks in the deck where brackets bolt on.

I am making notes and learning about you guys experiences with repairing these decks before I jump in head first, but IT WILL be restored to the best I can bring it back to- while not shooting for perfect/ just nice and functional.

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie

So today I pressure washed my 48 inch SD deck so I could get a better look at it, and I like working on clean things way better.

20210514_174949.jpg

Horse Newbie

Besides the front of the deck being bent back, and the stress cracks in the deck, take a look at these spindles...tell me what you see...causes of damage...solution/ fix ?

Center spindle20210514_203924.jpg.63795fd67fdebb521dd5bd006b066d90.jpg

Right spindle20210514_203928.jpg.349613447d8b2f09210565e4dbad0948.jpg

Jeff-C175
24 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

causes of damage...solution/ fix ?

Never cleaning the underside of the deck.  I believe the decomposing grass becomes acidic and eats the alumiinum.

Or maybe the aluminum becomes a 'sacrificial anode'.

Sadly, I don't think those can be saved.  Time for some good used, or new spindles.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Part of the repair process is to drill small holes at the very ends of the crack prior to welding.  This relieves the stress on the crack and prevents it from spreading, even after the crack is welded and the drilled holes are closed again.

Thank you for reminding me @Jeff-C175 !...

I had heard of that trick before, but it had not even crossed my mind.That is just one of the reasons I like to get on here and get some advice before I start a new project.

2 heads are definitely better than one...maybe 3 heads are better than 2...I get much advice and experience , then decide how to proceed .

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
54 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Never cleaning the underside of the deck.  I believe the decomposing grass becomes acidic and eats the alumiinum.

Or maybe the aluminum becomes a 'sacrificial anode'.

Sadly, I don't think those can be saved.  Time for some good used, or new spindles.

@Jeff-C175

Thank you sir...I like putting my thoughts with others...

Did you notice one of the spindles is cracked where it bolts to the deck ?

I had read on Red Square that some guys recommend painting those aluminum spindles because of the grass corroding them...BUT ...

consider what went through my mind when I saw the pitting and wear/ degradation on the spindles...

The pitting on the spindles was only on the center and right spindles...the one on the left side was in good shape, and on the ones with damage ( not withstanding the cracked one ), the damage was on one side only...the side where grass would be slung against the left sides of the spindle housings. I'll give a good amount of suspicion on the grass corroding the aluminum, but I'll also be willing to bet rocks, sand, dirt, and debri being thrown against the left sides of the housings had the effect of sandblasting them.

Have you, or any of you other guys, noticed more damage to the center, and right spindle housings, particularly on their left sides ?

20210514_203924.jpg

20210514_203928.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie

peter lena

newbie, those corroded spindles should be replaced , with new or rebuilt units, prefer the rebuilt ones as you can also refill the 6203 bearings with a polyurea hi temp grease that will not fail at replacement time . obviously your ground rollers and brackets also need a refit, and upgrade . also looking at your under side wash down , great opportunity after its all thoroughly dried down to try this, regular maintenance , scraping and upside down sun drying , with oil soaking , make them last  , just an idea , pete

• Excellent 1

pacer

I call it "aluminum rusting" cause it it it so like rust  --- and, unfortunately, it is all too common and its peculiar also. I recently was working on a D's deck that appearance wise appeared to be too far gone, with the other type "rust" - several large rust through places. But, strangely enough all 3 spindles were in amazingly good condition-- go figure!!

I'm afraid Jeff is right and those 2 are beyond hope, But, actually, aside from those really bad places. the other visible areas would probably be OK. I have reused many as long as there is enough 'meat' left to hold the screw. 

I cant recall noticing the more damage to the right side ones, but your theory sounds logical. Painting them - I do this. I have a blast cabinet and will blast clean the housing and put a liberal amount of paint on them. I figure it cant 'hoit' anything and just might slow it down the corrosion.

The spindles should be pretty available (I think I have an extra set)

Now .... herein lies 2 different opinions on installing the bearings .... @peter lena and others likes to redo them as WH did and pack them with grease. I dont.... I had a cheapo big box rider for some time and the spindles had the bearings installed with the seals left on and I never had to replace them. So when I started finding WH calling for leaving one side of the bearing open and packing it with grease, which will take about a whole tube of grease, and the mess when you have to work on them .... well I put the bearings in with the factory seals in and dont bother with having to grease them. I have a D180 that I first did this too some 15-18 yrs ago and the bearings are still going. "Different strokes for different folks"

• Like 2