Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

Horse Newbie

I noticed another crack that we missed on the triangle shaped , 3/16th inch thick piece that sits on the top of the deck...back to the weld shop !

20211017_173217_HDR.jpg

Horse Newbie

Primed the new spindle housings for the deck...I' ve heard painting the housings will help slow down the corrosive effect of grass clippings... I figure it can't hurt...

20211017_174441.jpg

Horse Newbie

My welder also repaired the 2 belt guards for the deck...these tabs on the end of the guard were broken...one on each guard...

Second pic was a stress crack...

20211017_165148.jpg

20211017_165153.jpg

peter lena

@Tuneup  read your feed back on the rislone zink additive , agree with the great improvement in engine operation . have it in  5  engines now, 3 kohler magnums , a snow blower , and a 10k generator . all have a noticeable ease in operation , and are visibly cleaner inside . hours on this experiment now , without a doubt , it takes the effort out of the engine , oil changes are longer , but much more effective , like black coal oil at hot drain time , and a more thorough drainage . everything i  tell people people about , i actually use , and its made my stuff , work with out effort . thanks again , pete

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

pete

Did you mean to post this in another thread Pete?  Seems out of context here ?  just wonderin'....

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

another crack

I might leave that one be myself.  I don't see where it has any further to spread!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

extensive stress cracks

So it seems that the wide plate they went to didn't really 'fix' the issue.  The cracks in mine, and most of the 48" decks I've seen are exactly the same as shown.

I think that the problem is that when the deck is raised it 'twists' that rear apron and ultimately cracks develop there.

image.png.7cbc39df1a42da0042c245813ff4b68e.png

I thought of a 'gusset' to prevent the twist that causes the cracks but as mentioned in the earlier post I think this would only move the crack prone area.

In this case, the blue lines show where the stress would move to.  That gusset would pull DOWN on the top surface and probably  eventually crack there.

image.png.9ddc7256f0c5cbf336b78876f1463e8b.png

I don't know that there is any good solution to this problem!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

Well, doggone it... looks like I've got some work to do!

I just went out to look at my deck to see it I could get some ideas how to permanently repair that issue and the repairs that I made this Spring have failed.  Granted, I'm not a very good welder but still, one mowing season and cracked again!  Both sides.

image.png.a3153badd7c29d1420e93961093acd6f.png

Boy, digital cameras really suck when it comes to photographing RED !  But this one looks better.  Hard to believe that's the same area!  The first one looks ORNJ!

image.png.d0d81014c53a5caedb6133db19570314.png

• Sad 1

peter lena

@Tuneup  read your feed back on the rislone zink additive , agree with the great improvement in engine operation . have it in  5  engines now, 3 kohler magnums , a snow blower , and a 10k generator . all have a noticeable ease in operation , and are visibly cleaner inside . hours on this experiment now , without a doubt , it takes the effort out of the engine , oil changes are longer , but much more effective , like black coal oil at hot drain time , and a more thorough drainage . everything i  tell people people about , i actually use , and its made my stuff , work with out effort . thanks again , pete

Edited by peter lena
wrong site

peter lena

my mistake , referring  to above , obviously  sent it to the wrong site , that's how i got it , pete

Horse Newbie

Painted the spindle housings for the 48 inch SD deck...also ordered a set of new decals from @Vinylguy for it.

20211018_195523.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

I have reached out to A to Z Tractors for a discharge chute for my 1994 48 inch SD deck.

Can anyone reading this explain how it mounts ?

Pics would help also.

Thanks...

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I have reached out to A to Z Tractors for a discharge chute for my 1994 48 inch SD deck.

Can anyone reading this explain how it mounts ?

Pics would help also.

Thanks...

Early decks like mine the chute just bolts on.  ( which I don't use in spite of TWICE shooting a rock and putting a hole in my vinyl siding, I know, I know, I should use it.  Now I just make sure to direct the shoot at my neighbors houses )

It looks like your deck still has the holes for this, but the newer decks had a spring loaded chute assembly.

image.png.18f2af3d636d054b9cb0c74125629058.png

Of course, I could have just said to Read The Fine Manual !  :ychain:

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

It looks like the 'stud' may be missing on yours.  You could just put a 3/8" bolt and nut there.

image.png.1a4372be83036dec00f7b678cdf63095.png

But the 'pin' on the other side is still there:

image.png.85bc310e3ef2cac52048f4eed1fd9486.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
18 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

It looks like the 'stud' may be missing on yours.  You could just put a 3/8" bolt and nut there.

image.png.1a4372be83036dec00f7b678cdf63095.png

But the 'pin' on the other side is still there:

image.png.85bc310e3ef2cac52048f4eed1fd9486.png

I will have to get a deflector from A to Z and figure out what I need to mount it.

I don't understand how there would be a "stud" on front and rear of right side of deck, and still be able to mount the deflector.

Also I read the manual and based on what I seen in the manual and pics I've seen , I'm not sure the deflector was ever spring loaded. ( My deck does not seem to match what the manual shows even though my model and serial numbers say it should.

20211017_145628_HDR.jpg

Horse Newbie

Oh wait !...so there should be a threaded stud on the front and a pin on the back ?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Oh wait !...so there should be a threaded stud on the front and a pin on the back ?

Affirmative!

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@horsenewbee  your reference to spindle issues , when i started rebuilding decks , made sure that i did not follow those into a repetitive failure , opportunity . those spindle bearings fail and get noisy ,because of generic lubrication , that size , bearing is a very common ceiling fan bearing. if you clean out a new bearing , with removable side shields , and add a certified , hi temp , polyurea , anti sling grease like lucas xtra h/d .  note inner  seal removal , for spindle bearings , they won,t fail or get noisy , lots of detail pics on deck rebuilding , correct a failure , do not reinstall the same thing , https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil-Xtra-Heavy-Duty-Grease-Green-14-5-oz/36052505?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2331&adid=22222222420449455996&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9003292&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=36052505&wl13=2331&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAjw_L6LBhBbEiwA4c46ust5xSBqPP44kYYrstMuArzgRQkGeVVk1UoSsB5Ap4QvQsTDV3o1_hoCQMUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  . look it up , do not be afraid to correct issues , just my experience , pete

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

The spindle housings for the 48 inch SD deck that goes on the 1994 520H has dried...tomorrow they will go back in the box to await re-assembly of the deck.

20211021_194337.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

@Horse Newbie those spindles look sweet , where did you get your bearings ? remember its the stagnate acidic grass effect that rots spindles , clean as often as possible , and finish with an aerosol lubricant soak , the oil will stop the rot effect and feed the metal . doing that on a regular basis , really don't even think about it, if possible add some sun under drying / heating up of deck , that sucks in the lubricant , pete

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

those spindles look sweet , where did you get your bearings ? 

The bearings came with the spindles...got the spindle housing assembly from @76c12091520h / K&B Horse Parts.

He is is our vendors section.

Edited by Horse Newbie

peter lena

@Horse Newbie what really caught my eye , was the wide rubber side shields , makes a lubricant upgrade very easy , pete

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Horse Newbie what really caught my eye , was the wide rubber side shields , makes a lubricant upgrade very easy , pete

I checked whether the inside side of the bearings have side shields...they do not.

So I'll be getting that grease from Walmart like you said.

Screenshot_20211020-192508.png

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

I ordered a discharge chute for the 48 inch SD deck from Lincoln at A-Z Tractors today...

Screenshot_20211022-130710.png

• Like 1

peter lena

@pacer  never had any luck with the original bearing set up , whining  hi pitched noise and wobbling failure , once i started changing  out the original " grease "  in those bearings , the problems stopped , then i started detailing any area that needed help . do not know how yours lasted so long , unless they were built with the good stuff. just about anything with issues has been changed out . done too many midnight call ins to settle on problems , like you said , different strokes , pete  

• Like 1