Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

pacer

WOW! I've had some pretty well worn ones, but...... well, I dont believe I could come close to those for wear!!:eek:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

If you are thinking of spending $ on new hardware, ask them if they have heavy plated hardware. Back at work most of the hardware we were buying from quality Industrial Supply houses was rusty in a few years just like what I was buying from Home Depot for home. I put the Account Sales person on the spot and he said they had to give us regular grade coated hardware due to our companie' competitive bidding process. Digging into it I learned they had at least 4 grades of hardware coatings in cadmium and nickel plated hardware. 
 If I’m not going stainless, I just spend the time in front of a wire wheel and then prime and paint my hardware before assembly. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

If I’m not going stainless, I just spend the time in front of a wire wheel and then prime and paint my hardware before assembly. 

That is most likely what I will do. I DO appreciate all the fellows suggestions on Red Square, but if all of my hardware is in pretty good shape I MAY wire brush and paint...

Tuneup

I get to move on this thing with 40 hours of vacation starting. Finished the welding. Yeah, I suck, but it's my first time and I still can't see what I'm doing. Great little HF welder but their cheap helmet is too dark on its weakest setting. I think I might do pretty well if I didn't have to stop every 5 seconds to see where I am. Recommended setting is C - 4 but I get best results with C.5 - 3. Lots of trial and error and through the use of a chunk of 16 ga for practice but practiced on the deck, too.

So welded up. Big box full of flapper disks so can make it look nice. Now need to get to HF for more stripper disks to remove the paint, plastic to smooth the top and then prime. Bearings and pulleys on the shelf ready. I'm in the market for the belt covers if anyone has any laying around...

Deck Top.jpg

Deck Base.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Yeah, I suck,

Better than mine!

I found the same thing with the helmet.  Then I realized I was looking AT the arc!  Well, that does no good, try to look just slightly ahead, to where you're going.  It worked for me.  Still not great but better.

• Like 1

Tuneup
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Better than mine!

I found the same thing with the helmet.  Then I realized I was looking AT the arc!  Well, that does no good, try to look just slightly ahead, to where you're going.  It worked for me.  Still not great but better.

Well, the flap disks make it look tolerable.

Thanks! I have heard it's also good to have the eyes shut at the trigger in case the helmet doesn't react quickly enough and your eyes over adjust to the short flash. I could almost see the crack I was welding. Well, plenty more time to practice.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Managed to get the spindle shafts out of the spindles today...also took the spindle housings off the deck.

Had a bit of a challenge with the center(double pulley)...ended up drilling down through the center of the spindle shaft and taking chisels and punches and collapsing it in on itself.

Take a look at these pics and tell me what you think...On the center(double) pulley, the "v" groove where the PTO belt rides seems to have some weird wear in the groove...actually the "v" where the deck belt has the same problem...advice anyone ?...new center pulley ?

I drew a profile of the shape of the grooves on a white napkin...see pic...

20210612_162933.jpg

20210612_163446.jpg

20210612_163933.jpg

20210612_193304.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie

Jeff-C175

Too bad you have the unkeyed pulleys, I happen to have a 3/4" keyed center pulley that's excess to my needs. (and brand new)

You could probably 'get by' with the one you have but might experience accelerated belt wear.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

If you haven't ordered roller spindles yet they are easy to make. Some 1/8" x 3/4" flat and 1/2" bar is all you need.

SAM-1036.jpg

• Like 2

lynnmor

Those pulleys deserve a complete retirement.

• Sad 1

Horse Newbie
On 6/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, lynnmor said:

Those pulleys deserve a complete retirement.

@lynnmor...are you saying that because of the wear in the "v"s, or the shape of the holes that the spindle shafts go through ?

lynnmor
8 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@lynnmor...are you saying that because of the wear in the "v"s, or the shape of the holes that the spindle shafts go through ?

I really didn't look at the holes, the shape and pitting of the V's will wear a belt fast.  I wouldn't consider running them.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

I really didn't look at the holes, the shape and pitting of the V's will wear a belt fast.  I wouldn't consider running them.

Yeah...the holes in the pulleys aren't bad.

That one pic of the center pulley...it actually has some of the spindle shaft that I drilled out remaining, making it look a lot worse than it is.

Does anybody know if new deck "v" pulleys are still available ?

Horse Newbie
On 6/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, Lee1977 said:

If you haven't ordered roller spindles yet they are easy to make. Some 1/8" x 3/4" flat and 1/2" bar is all you need.

SAM-1036.jpg

I will probably end up making some of those...are the anti- scalp wheel spindles still available new ?

Lee1977
12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I will probably end up making some of those...are the anti- scalp wheel spindles still available new ?

Yes, but they are $20 some places, might find some a little cheaper.   Three foot of rod and flat you can make two sets for less the 20 dollars.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
10 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Yes, but they are $20 some places, might find some a little cheaper.   Three foot of rod and flat you can make two sets for less the 20 dollars.

Sounds like a plan !

Horse Newbie
On 5/24/2021 at 5:48 PM, Tuneup said:

Bearings and pulleys on the shelf ready

Where did you get your pulleys ?

Horse Newbie

So today I took my 48 inch SD deck to the machine/ welding/ blacksmith shop and got started on repairing it where the PO had centered the middle front anti- scalp wheel on a stob, then apparently took a lap and come back and centered the stob again by the way the deck looked...

Got the front of the deck jacked back out using a hydraulic ram jack and a table that accepts round steel pegs to hold it in place.

My friend who was doing  the welding said no need to do the "drill a hole at the ends of the stress cracks" since he was doing full penetration welds on the deck. He has welded on steam turbine fins at nuclear plants so I figure he knows what he's talking about.

After jacking the front back to "as good as we could get it", and welding the stress cracks we went about tackling the gaping hole in the deck right behind the center anti-scalp wheel bracket.

The center blade made contact with the front of the deck when it was pushed back by the stob, and I guess the PO just kept on mowing( damn the torpedoes,full steam ahead ! :lol:) because the area of the deck behind the center anti- scalp wheel bracket was missing. (Will have to put a patch there)

Here's a pic or two...20210626_133136.jpg.7c2a2e260b0c12f1ab2a6d787c5b58a8.jpg

20210626_115559.jpg

20210626_140639.jpg

20210626_151409.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Tuneup
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Where did you get your pulleys ?

Dang - good question. I plugged the part number of the double pulley into Duck Duck and a source in Alabama with a good price came up. Can't recall the name but hopefully that will help. Good quality.

Found it! Phoenix Distribution but not Alabama - my brain sometimes...

https://phoenix-mfg.com/

Edited by Tuneup
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Tuneup , take advantage of those wide rubber bearing side shields , pocket screwdriver , very easily pops them off ,carefully wipe out original grease , refill with LUCAS EXTRA HEAVY DUTY , POLYUREA  ANTI SLING HI TEMP GREASE.  $ 5 , WALMART . done that to all my decks and pto drive bearings , same bearing , no noise, no failures , no whining bearing noise , just my own experience , pete 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

@Tuneup hey man !... Thanks for the link to Phoenix mfg.

I ordered new side pulleys and a double center pulley for my deck.

But, I did not see the flat idler pulley...did you get a new idler pulley for your deck ?, and if so, where ?

Tuneup
22 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Tuneup , take advantage of those wide rubber bearing side shields , pocket screwdriver , very easily pops them off ,carefully wipe out original grease , refill with LUCAS EXTRA HEAVY DUTY , POLYUREA  ANTI SLING HI TEMP GREASE.  $ 5 , WALMART . done that to all my decks and pto drive bearings , same bearing , no noise, no failures , no whining bearing noise , just my own experience , pete 

I'll definitely give this a try - I've been using a marine grease that is doing well but the decks could be quieter...

• Like 1

Tuneup
8 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@Tuneup hey man !... Thanks for the link to Phoenix mfg.

I ordered new side pulleys and a double center pulley for my deck.

But, I did not see the flat idler pulley...did you get a new idler pulley for your deck ?, and if so, where ?

You know, I really need to keep notes. I stripped the deck and ordered parts. Stacked them when they arrived - bearings and pulleys. I think I bought it off eBay so no help there, sorry. Bearings came from 'USA Bearings and Belts'.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@Tuneup, what ever you get for an idler pulley , look for the model / type that has a wider side bearing side seal , in your selection. recently picked up a pair of new pto mule  pulleys  based on the side seal width , for ease of removal , and repack with lucas extra heavy duty polyurea grease , do not over pack , just equal to original fill, done this on all related bearings , as well as pto, needle bearing . not making this up , why would I ?  decks and drives work with out effort , very quiet and solid , I ALSO USE RISLONE ZINK ADDITIVE TO ALL MY OILS ,  tell me how that works in your engine , like free hp . keep improving , pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@horsenewbee, just used the original # at amazon for a match up , again making sure the side grease seals are at least 1/4" or wider for easy pocket screwdriver removal , they just pop out , be gentle at removal , should come out intact  . carefully  wipe our original grease, which is usually generic , and use lucas extra heavy duty polyurea hi temp anti sling grease for a bearing that will not fail . pete 

• Thanks 1