Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

gt14rider

Just don't hit the pulley,  a couple of good wacks should do it, could put a little heat to the pulley.

I'm  not saying hit it with a sledgehammer, but a couple of wacks, could use brass hammer set on top of spindle, wack with big hammer.  Metal to metal shock.

Edited by gt14rider
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Yes sir...I am definitely going to have to get a little more aggressive on getting the spindles out...main concern is not wrecking the pulleys.

Time is not of a concern so I am going to wait until I have my new parts on hand and check for proper application before I get too "wild" with it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

replacing the shafts

I thought you were replacing the whole spindle assembly?

3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do you think it would pay to squirt some penetrant fluid down the grease zerk openings in case anything may be seized up in there ?

Doubtful.  Once you see the inside you would see why.  That wouldn't affect the pulley being seized to the shaft in any way.  Have you got the PB Blaster going on it yet?  Like I said, forget about that WD40, that won't do 5h1t.

Horse Newbie
12 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I thought you were replacing the whole spindle assembly?

Doubtful.  Once you see the inside you would see why.  That wouldn't affect the pulley being seized to the shaft in any way.  Have you got the PB Blaster going on it yet?  Like I said, forget about that WD40, that won't do 5h1t.

Yes sir @Jeff-C175...I am replacing the whole spindle assembly, but I can't unbolt the spindle housing until I get the pulleys off to access the bolts.

Had the PB Blaster on it for a few days now...but with the tree man being here, trying to get 3 baby raccoons back to momma, and extreme caution against wrecking the pulleys, I haven't been messing with it.

Oh you will know when I start up again as there will be gnashing of teeth :lol:

and pics.

If I start getting to the point of thinking I may be about to tear up pulleys, then I will not get crazier until I have new/ more pulleys in hand.

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175

I'm even thinking before I destroy pulleys, cut spindle shaft off at bottom...pull shaft out from the top, get a pipe to slip over said cut shaft, and drive the pulley off carefully

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

extreme caution against wrecking the pulleys

I understand that an totally empathize!  I had a case of sticker shock when I had to replace mine!

If absolute worst comes to worst, you might be able to get a metal blade on a sawzall between the top of the spindle and the pulley and cut through the shaft.

Then you could put the face of the pulley on an anvil and have your way with the hammer and being on a SOLID footing I bet that shaft would pop out first strike.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

pull shaft out from the top

You were reading my mind, but I don't believe the shaft will come out the top even if you cut the bottom off.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
31 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

metal blade on a sawzall

Have that...ain't skeerred...after sufficient replacement parts aquired...

Horse Newbie
33 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

but I don't believe the shaft will come out the top even if you cut the bottom off.

Yeah, but you're giving me plenty of ideas...

Tuneup

You and I are about in the same place. I have a 520H to restore and am starting with its deck. Cracks in the same place. Pulleys were a huge pain. Heat and soak did not work. It came down to giving it a few good whacks with an 8 lb maul and it budged. More heat and a few more whacks. I'm retaining the shafts so had the nut on there to keep it threaded nicely. The pulleys are scrap in this restore and I tried the proper puller until the pulley stripped. The 42" SD I currently use: the right side pulley pulled off almost by hand. The left had to be cut off with a dremel and plenty of patience. I've got next week off so it's time to finish all the amateurish welds and get this stripped. I didn't pressure wash the bottom - stripped through it with a paint stripper wheel on a 4.5 grinder. Harbor Freight is your friend here. HF welder experimentation continues. Watching your work closely!

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Watching your work closely!

@Tuneup...my progress has taken a break, with trees being cut down, and momma racoon taking her babies right back up the same tree. Also my parts have not arrived and I don't want to dig too big of a hole without having dirt to put back in it, if you know what I mean.

16217002904807295235042650125397.jpg

Brockport Bill

enjoyed learning your experience with mower restore -- here is a 48 SD deck i took to blaster pro -- cleaned bare --- then to professional fabricator welder this week  -- asked if he could save it? Yup -- I then asked if I'd have to take Home Equity loan to pay his fee - he said no -- so i had him proceed - He suggested welding top plate to deck as means of reinforcing deck -- Not sure if that was good or bad idea???? However, since i had taken plate off for sand blasting seemed like a worthy experiment -- so next is clean up welds - prime and paint - then reassemble -- certainly major effort and some $$ but rehab it needed -- be interested in any comments ??? and perhaps the work welder did might give some ideas to others?

wh deck 14 weld plate.jpg

Wh deck 14 plate weld #2.jpg

wh deck 14 top holes.jpg

wh deck 14 welds underneath #1.jpg

Wh deck 14 welds underneath # 2.jpg

Wh deck 14 welds underneath # 3.jpg

wh deck #14 underneath #4.jpg

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Well my new spindle kits have arrived from K & B Horse Parts...thanks @76c12091520h.

Now that I have my new spindle kits in hand I feel 100% more confident about the destruction that may have to take place removing the pulleys from my old spindles...will update progress as it happens...

20210522_175345.jpg

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
12 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

He suggested welding top plate to deck as means of reinforcing deck

@Brockport Bill...now that is an interesting possible solution/ means to strengthen the deck.

Thank you for posting the information and I will definitely be showing it to my welder. As you may have read, my deck is in need of some pretty serious work.

However, whether I choose to do the same with my deck, or leave the top plate as a separate piece of the deck assembly, these ideas, past experiences, and ongoing trials and failures, are exactly the information I was/ am seeking when I started this thread. I hope it will help me do it once and right.

Brockport Bill

good luck -- we all struggle with being patient -- and these projects can certainly test us

• Like 1

Tuneup

Nice weld work! I got maybe 12" of bead total on my old 42RD and was charged $70. Felt ripped but it was all I could do. Now I own a welder and will do this 48 myself but will get nowhere near that level of quality. Get a good coating on the base of that deck and never mow wet. It'll last forever.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
53 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Nice weld work! I got maybe 12" of bead total on my old 42RD and was charged $70. Felt ripped but it was all I could do. Now I own a welder and will do this 48 myself but will get nowhere near that level of quality. Get a good coating on the base of that deck and never mow wet. It'll last forever.

@Tuneup. Yeah, I'm gonna have my welder friend do the welding/ straightening this time...but I'm hot and heavy for a Hobart 140 Mig welder from TSC for my shop...hope before summers over. He probably won't charge me a lot, but my deck needs quite a bit, and I'll make it worth his while.

Brockport Bill

Tune up......... the weld beads are one thing - - its the custom cut pieces that are fabricated and welded strategically in place that likely add the $$ to be installed  -- 70 dollars you paid  is a bargain -- welding isn't in my future -- my son has mig welder but doing this quality workmanship is different skill set - this was not originally my deck -  i got it recently to rehab and transfer elsewhere in the family -- However,  my 32 yr old 37 inch SD was just totally restored at Auto body shop - blasted, primed - finish coats for shell and every other part - looks factory new --- BUT i would never let a piece of my equipment get so pitted or rotted thru or damaged and abused as some i see -- i putty knife clean my after each cut - and pressure wash every 3 or 4 mows - never cut wet grass --- plus WD 40 iust so grass doesn't stick so badly -- learned from Dad - a piece of equipment will take care of  you if you take care of it -- plus, maintenance is in our financial self interest since replacement equipment is so expensive -- This deck will get 2 coats prime then 2 final coats 

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

another thought for Horse Newbie -- we are fortunate we have a specialty "nuts and bolts" store in our community --- instead of hunting thru the hardware drawers at the Box stores...... i took the basic bolts to counter helper at the specialty store and matched and replaced the hardware for the carriage lift assembly etc - -just seemed criminal to think of rusty ugly hardware on all that new paint -- Gosh....... does that deck look different with shiny bolts and nuts... suggest as part of restore to use new nuts and bolts

wh 37 inch top.jpg

wh 37 inch underside.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

gt14rider

Just rebuilt a 48". Welded, stripped, painted with rustoleum with hardner,  was in rough shape.  twisted, made a jig to straightened . Last 2 pics Think PO missed lube maintenance intervals, should have used Lucas red grease, right pete pop

20210417_141500.jpg

20210417_204141.jpg

20210417_124615.jpg

20210417_125822.jpg

20210420_074934.jpg

20210420_074926.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

. suggest as part of restore to use new nuts and bolts

I heard that...and since I've really haven't got that far along, I'll have plenty of time to ponder the suggestion. We have a local hardware store that have experienced workers that would be able to find new bolts and washers if they have them.

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, gt14rider said:

Last 2 pics Think PO missed lube maintenance intervals, should have used Lucas red grease, right pete pop

On that next to last pic... What was the hardware for ?

I know the last pic is the hardware for the skid wheels on front...Are those bent rods for the skid wheels still available ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

Jeff-C175
13 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Are those bent rods for the skid wheels still available ?

They are, Brian's got em.  The price is a bit dear though.  I think like $20 each.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

$20 each

I hope mine aren't worn !:lol:

gt14rider

It's a Shoulder bolt for gage wheel.

20210420_074934.jpg

20210417_141313.jpg

20210417_141331.jpg

• Like 1