Shawn P

701 transmission slips out of 3rd gear

Shawn P

I'm new to the horses. A fee weeks ago I inherited a family heirloom. A 61' 701. Originally owned by my grandfather. Passed on to my uncle then to me. Took me a couple evenings to get it running correctly but it is driveable.  This forum has been very helpful so far so I decided to join. My uncle explained that he had always had trouble with it slipping out of 3rd gear under load. So I decided to take it up the hill in the back yard tonight  and try it out. Sure enough chugging up the hill it popped out of gear and down the hill I went backwards. Thankfully no crash. He had tried to fix it years ago but had no luck and ended up creating a leak in the transmission upon putting it back together.  Any idea on what to look for when I get this thing apart? Also I'm guessing gaskets for this are not available..... Anyone know thickness of the gasket between the two halves? Last question where to find axle seals? Thanks in advance for your time.

20210404_131223.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Wellingtontx

Welcome. 

There are some true transmission experts on here that will help you out - unfortunately I am not one of them. 

I am working on my own transmission rebuild.  I cannot wait until I can drive my WH.

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  Oliver, has pretty much covered the bases.  Good luck with your rebuild.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

Achto

:WRS:  Great looking 701 !! 

As stated 3rd gear is known for going out from people trying to shift on the fly. These gears are no longer available from the factory but luckily Lowell has taken it upon himself to reproduce them. Here is a link for you.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/3523-3rd-gear/

Here is a link to his transmission kits. This kit includes all the basic gaskets, seals and bearings required to rebuild your transmission.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/base-kit-1-for-manual-transmission/

The #1533 differential carrier bearings are not included in the basic kit as they are not usually an issue. If you find that these bearings are bad on your tranny, here is a link to the basic kit with the 1533's included. Note: 1533 bearings are only available thanks to Lowell choosing to reproduce them.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/kit-1-with-2-1533-bearings-for-manual-transmission/

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

Dan and Jim have you all fixed up. One more thing. Before you tear the transmission apart do this test. Put it in third and you'll feel the detents holding it there. Then check the input shaft for any in/out play. Most will be fine but if there's any at all it equates to the 3523 gear disengaging from the input gear that amount. You can use an arbor shim to eliminate the play. Just slip it on to the input shaft before you put it in the case. Here's a comparison of a brand new 3523 and one that's got some wear. The worn one isn't all that bad in this case and was in an 854 that was slipping out of third. It had a fair amount of in/out play so I shimmed the shaft and decided to reuse the original gear. Problem solved. You can get away with more if your tractor is just a showpiece but my 854 is a worker and I push dirt with it. After the shim it hasn't slipped out of third since. :)

1367338671_3523Comparison.JPG.cc105d7be4216b6fcab53880103be6a0.JPG

Oh wait! One more one more thing. You have a 5007 transmission and it has the 35xx shift rails. This isn't critical but if you latched on to the later 56xx rails and stop pin. It does a lot to prevent locking up between gears. What you have is on the right. The revised rails ore on the left. I would send you some buy I always do swap and all I have left are the old style. 

1501849232_ShiftRailsandPins.JPG.78ea539d6c7255218b7f4a6045180dbf.JPG

922174502_ShiftRails.JPG.d3f87e21fef89da310d3f040c4cbef39.JPG

• Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Achto and Racinbob add some very good points. Regarding the shift rails, if you can’t find a set of them you can modify the old ones. The modification is just grinding a flat on the back side of the rail. I’ll see if I can find a picture to show you what we’re talking about 

• Like 2

Racinbob
26 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Achto and Racinbob add some very good points. Regarding the shift rails, if you can’t find a set of them you can modify the old ones. The modification is just grinding a flat on the back side of the rail. I’ll see if I can find a picture to show you what we’re talking about 

Yup, you can do that. The first 56xx rails just had the neutral (center) detent milled deeper like the one on the left.

1537428222_Shifterrails1.JPG.ec40779d1397b60c7f2076b26bb23481.JPG

You can also grind a flat the length of the rail to help stop the 'suction' effect. Remember, just swapping the old rails for the newer style won't do a thing unless you swap the original 11/16" stop pin for a 3/4" pin. :)

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

What the guys are talking about when they say a grind a flat spot  on the rails. 

20200209_152734.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

. These are not scrutinized  transmissions.

Jim's spell checker went hay wire he meant synchronized. :)

Regarding Lowell's he will just sell the individual bearings as required. I like to take it apart before ordering to see what I will all need. Helps keep the cost down 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

Thanks WHX24. I fixed it

Edited by oliver2-44

Achto

That has to be left in tact for sure.:handgestures-thumbupright:

@stevasaurus has some great Youtube videos on rebuilding transmissions. This transmission is the same as yours.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

And this one has some videos.  This is very close to yours...I explain the difference.

BTW, I'm betting your cluster gear is just fine.  It is the 2nd / 3rd fork gear you want to replace if shims don't work.  It is the inside of the gear that you need to look at...when in 3rd gear that fork gear sits on top of the input gear, it does not inter change with the cluster gear when in 3rd gear.  It inter-changes with the pinion gear under the cluster gear in 3rd.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Nice family ride you’ve got there!

As for the hitch pin, if it’s seized up... heat and spin what you can get a pipe wrench on, don’t try to hit it with a hammer or punch to drive it through. What the hammer does is mushroom that shaft out and make it even harder to remove.

• Like 3

Achto
2 hours ago, Achto said:

This transmission is the same as yours.

I see what you did there @stevasaurus:ph34r: Sneaky !! But thanks man.:thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

My pleasure Dan.  and thanks for being so understanding.  I do have the threads for 3, 4, 6 & 8 speed transmissions, plus the 3 piece.  Got the Wheel Horse transmissions covered Mate.  BTW, picked up another Wheel Horse Bourbon yesterday.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Mike in NC

Nice Horse!  I just got a Model 701 myself. And WELCOME!!!!

Shawn P

Good afternoon fellas. Rainy Sunday in St. Louis means perfect opportunity to do some wrenching. Got it tore apart. There appears to be some worn down teeth on 2nd and 3rd as well as the cluster and one other. Everything came apart almost too easily. The hitch pin had been replaced before and the original was replaced by one that was sloppy in the hole so it was no problem.  And hubs came right off due to leaky seals. Time to check on some parts. I did find a couple parts floating around inside (see 4th picture). A pin and a single ball bearing. I'm guessing the ball is from a previous rebuild. The big bearings have 12 balls in each and are in tact. The the pin I'm not so sure about where it came from. Too large and flat on the ends so it's not a needle bearing.  

20210516_143149.jpg

16211941976528363958279647618381.jpg

16211942717873585849236937697774.jpg

16211947948753023742007027304928.jpg

stevasaurus

OK...the 1st picture is your cluster gear, and it is not too bad.  Understand, the tooth damage happens from shifting gears without coming to a complete stop.  That gear is fine if you come to complete stop before shifting.

The 2nd picture is your reverse idler and that gear is excellent.

The 3rd picture is your 2nd and 3rd fork gear.  You can see all the teeth are worn on the inside of that gear.  That needs to be replaced.  Wheelhorse Parts and More can do that.

The 4th picture is of the détente ball (one of them) and the stop that goes in the spring between the 2 balls.  I would pull your shift rails and see what that other guy did.  As long as you got it torn down, this is something you want to take a good look at.  :occasion-xmas:

Shawn P

Well. After watching videos. Found out what the extra parts were. Guess I probably should have checked them before tearing apart. 

Shawn P

Found the 2nd detent ball too:D

• Thanks 1

Shawn P

So I'm not finding the cluster gear anywhere. Is this guy available anywhere that you guys know of. Would like to replace if possible.  

Stevasaurus the reverse idler looks pretty worn on the one end. You said it's excellent.  Guessing this is normal and will not affect operation?

• Like 1