theoldwizard2

I am confused !

theoldwizard2

I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 310-8 with a Kohler K241 (ID # 21-10K801).  I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matches the machine/engine (battery/points ignition, starter generator and headlights).  It has been sitting for over 20 years and I am down to the electrical, but something is not right !

Key in the OFF position, 5A fuse REMOVED (I assume the 15A is for the headlights), The test light from battery ground to the + side of the coil indicates B+ !  How is this possible ?

stevasaurus

@gwest_ca  This guy is tops.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

gwest_ca

For a quick view of the wiring click on the picture in the link.

If this has a combination starter/generator it is not original but was likely added to get away from the 3 amp unregulated charging system. No reason why it won't work.

If you remove the 15 amp fuse you will likely loose the power to the coil.

Does your ignition switch look like the one in the diagram?

Garry

pfrederi
2 hours ago, theoldwizard2 said:

I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 310-8 with a Kohler K241 (ID # 21-10K801).  I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matches the machine/engine (battery/points ignition, starter generator and headlights).  It has been sitting for over 20 years and I am down to the electrical, but something is not right !

Key in the OFF position, 5A fuse REMOVED (I assume the 15A is for the headlights), The test light from battery ground to the + side of the coil indicates B+ !  How is this possible ?

If you have a Starter Generator on a 310-8 something has been swapped out.  You need to show a picture you will have a nonstandard electrical system.

The Tuul Crib

Manners !!!

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

953 nut
15 hours ago, theoldwizard2 said:

(battery/points ignition, starter generator and headlights)

Please post a couple pictures of your engine so we can understand what engine starting and charging system ew are dealing with. 

theoldwizard2
18 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

For a quick view of the wiring click on the picture in the link.

If this has a combination starter/generator it is not original but was likely added to get away from the 3 amp unregulated charging system. No reason why it won't work.

If you remove the 15 amp fuse you will likely loose the power to the coil.

Does your ignition switch look like the one in the diagram?

Garry

Okay, I ASSUMED it was a starter/generator because older models were !  Must be some "interesting" wiring inside that starter/alternator so it can operate as a starter motor and then an alternator !

So the 5A fuse is for the hour meter and volt meter.  My tractor has NEITHER, but it does have a 5A fuse !

All of my wires are black !  Color coding would be SO  helpful !  I am still confuse on why I have B+ on the coil + terminal (test light to ground is on when key is OFF and no one in the seat).

Pictures when it stops raining.

theoldwizard2

Bad seat switch (B+ on both sides)This still does not explain why I have B+ on the + side of the coil !  Bad ignition switch (appears to be a 5 wire, but the picture did not come out) ?

343247871_WHON-OFF.JPG.b8fb29312305b82ada0e2d54b791a95b.JPG427491093_WHFuses.JPG.11d126d1ea529c4789f0266719aa0d90.JPG1385608742_WHCoil.JPG.89bcb39a4975bb9ed6ecaaa466946c99.JPG

JohnD

Bad seat switch (B+ on both sides).

B+ on both sides is in your favor for starting, I believe.  Either it is stuck closed so you can start regardless of the swtich, or it is bypassed.  You want the seat switch open for safety purposes. 

This still does not explain why I have B+ on the + side of the coil !  Bad ignition switch (appears to be a 5 wire, but the picture did not come out) ?

For standard wiring the +coil connects to the battery via the ignition switch and the -coil connects to the points.  With the points open you'll have B+ on both sides of the coil (points connect -Coil to ground).  If not a bad ignition switch might have fried the coil if it left it energized continuously.