kpinnc

523-H high roller

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Every tractor I own is modified. Some more, some less, but all have changes to them. What is the criteria?

The tractor in this thread is a combination of parts from different tractors and some things that never came on a Wheel Horse.

Frame and tranny: 312-H

Sheetmetal and tower: 518-H

Front axle and steering: 520-H

Many other bits: 520-8

Engine- built from 2 different Vanguard's parts.

If that ain't modified... what is? :happy-partydance:

Don 

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

If that ain't modified... what is? :happy-partydance:

We gotta work with what we have, and I mostly have (had) a bunch of old tractors that were incomplete or at best almost worn out. I make lemonade from my lemons...

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, kpinnc said:

We gotta work with what we have, and I mostly have (had) a bunch of old tractors that were incomplete or at best almost worn out. I make lemonade from my lemons...

What you are building here is anything BUT a lemon...

Don

• Like 1

kpinnc
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

What you are building here is anything BUT a lemon...

Many thanks Don! I hope you are right!

First crank is coming up! :P Then we shall see!

19richie66

That is a beautiful conglomeration of parts and pieces. I like mutts. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

kpinnc
33 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I like mutts

Mutts rule! They know why you love them! :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chestnut

Oops- posted this on the wrong thread. meant to post on "what have you done today!

Worked on the 520H snowblower tractor again. I started out just planning to adjust the brake because it was so tight park brake wouldn’t engage. Then noticed the drive wasn’t returning to neutral when pushing the brake pedal. Seems the cam bearing and the pin it rides on were missing from the motion control cam. Looks like a bad weld didn't survive. Brake also didn’t seem to be working too well. Got some used parts and dove in. PO seems to have “adjusted” the motion control mechanism by eliminating the lock nut and leaving lots of slack in the pivot bolt and then adjusting the linkage length to make up for the misalignment. It took lots of adjustment but I think I got everything lined up and adjusted correctly. Brake the same thing except it doesn't have a lock nut, Brake still doesn’t feel like it holds very well even though there’s plenty of lining left. Anyone have insight on that?

Next up are the charging system (Checking all grounds - charging voltage seems high) and the rear balance weights.

motion control.jpeg

motion control alignment.jpeg

motion control alignment after.jpeg

Edited by Chestnut
wrong thread
  • Like 1

kpinnc

Well I got it down off the stand, but still waiting on a couple parts. Carb needs a throttle shaft, and my hood and fender decals will be here this week.

Waiting sucks! One thing I can say is the seat might be the most comfortable one I've ever had on a tractor!

IMG_20211010_131729836.jpg

• Like 3

kpinnc

Still waiting for the throttle shaft, probably next week when it comes, but my steeeekers came today!

Might name this thing Big Sexy!

Also missing my headlight switch.... But nowhere in this machine is the word "Toro"!

IMG_20211012_184612312.jpg

IMG_20211012_183323362.jpg

IMG_20211012_183419646.jpg

IMG_20211012_183355201.jpg

IMG_20211012_183622138.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 2

Bill D
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Still waiting for the throttle shaft, probably next week when it comes, but my steeeekers came today!

Might name this thing Big Sexy!

Also missing my headlight switch.... But nowhere in this machine is the word "Toro"!

IMG_20211012_184612312.jpg

IMG_20211012_183323362.jpg

IMG_20211012_183419646.jpg

IMG_20211012_183355201.jpg

IMG_20211012_183622138.jpg

I love everything about that machine.  I wish you were closer, I would love to see it in person.

• Like 3

kpinnc
29 minutes ago, Bill D said:

I love everything about that machine.  I wish you were closer, I would love to see it in person.

Thanks Bill! I'm very pleased with it so far. Definitely one of the better restomods I've done. Pure luck, and letting a bodyshop paint the hood and fender!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

Brockport Bill

Spectacular

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

i have done a number of deck rehabs myself but for my own original 37 inch SD that goes with my original 312-8, I chose to go to body shop like you did with your hood and fender -- comes back looking considerably better

wh 37 inch top.jpg

37 inch restore.jpg

• Excellent 3

kpinnc
16 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

i have done a number of deck rehabs myself but for my own original 37 inch SD that goes with my original 312-8, I chose to go to body shop like you did with your hood and fender -- comes back looking considerably better

I had a 37 once, and it was probably the best cutting deck of anything WH that I ever had. Take care of it, it's a great one!

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

i have a bagger unit witht the 312-8 and the 37 SD  -- u r right - great cut -- and especially awesome for fall leaves --- it is a life saver "vacuuming " up the yard leaves over the many weeks from sept to Nov

312 bagger.jpg

• Like 3

WheelHorse520H
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

But nowhere in this machine is the word "Toro"!

Atta boy. Stop posting pictures…your making me too jealous!:text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

"Toro"!

Atta boy. Stop posting pictures…your making me too jealous!

Ok, ok..... I'll get better ones next week when it actually runs.

Just one more!  :P

IMG_20211012_182700941.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Lee1977

I have to see that when you get it running. Don't know what to bring along. My C-120 is the most modified I bought it new in 1977 wore it out then It's been rebuilt as required over the years.

Every bearing and bushing has been replaced and some bushings added where there were none. The rebuild length I even have EB beat but it never stop working for long. Most could be classified as repairs,

but metal was either removed or added on about all of the them. Started with the tie rods in 1989 and the last mod was the frame brace in August 2020. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
43 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I have to see that when you get it running. Don't know what to bring along. My C-120 is the most modified I bought it new in 1977 wore it out then It's been rebuilt as required over the years.

Every bearing and bushing has been replaced and some bushings added where there were none. The rebuild length I even have EB beat but it never stop working for long. Most could be classified as repairs,

but metal was either removed or added on about all of the them. Started with the tie rods in 1989 and the last mod was the frame brace in August 2020. 

You're welcome anytime sir!

Funny how once we start working on these tractors it just keeps on going. I still make little changes to even the oldest (for me) machine I have. Just added a digital voltmeter to the old 310-8. Put LED headlights on 3 others. And to me they just get better each time!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

The rebuild length I even have EB beat but it never stop working for long

:ROTF:

Yeah but you've had yours for over 40 years and been using it the whole time. I'd say you're ahead of me on this one Lee!

• Like 1

Snoopy11
11 hours ago, Bill D said:

I wish you were closer, I would love to see it in person

2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have to see that when you get it running

I'll... settle for video... :banana-rock:

Don

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

Nice seat @kpinnc, looks good for the long stretches of seat time. Especially when you go coast to coast!:P

Edited by WheelHorse520H

kpinnc

Haven't had much time for this one lately because I'm focused on my FILs Charger. 

Found some grip tape I forgot I had. Not enough to fully cover the footrests, so I tried what you see in the pics. Haven't made up my mind on it yet, but thought I'd throw up a pic anyway...

IMG_20211124_174318078.jpg

IMG_20211124_174328720.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Haven't made up my mind on it yet,

I like it because it's different but I'd be concerned about it coming off the steps fairly quickly. Lots of edges to wear off and catch on. 

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Looks pretty good.

Clear nail polish on the edges? It's tough, hard and won't yellow

• Like 2