kpinnc

523-H high roller

WheelhorseBob

I really like this build, the tires are great! Subscribed!

kpinnc

Had a snag this week with the steering shaft. I noticed that the links hit the axle both ways and cut how sharp the spindles turned by about half. If you look at the previous pics, and own a 520, you'll probably notice the mounting tab on the shaft is way forward. The angles of the links should have been obvious but I certainly missed it.

Had to remove everything and bend the tab back to normal, but all good now. I have no idea what might have bent it in the first place, unless someone beat the link bolts out with a hammer or something.

IMG_20210611_124423867.jpg

• Like 1

Lee1977

If it doesn't have reduction steering It may have been replaced with one from an early model. My 1989 has a straight triangle just like the older models.and fixed tie rods.

I replaced the tie rods with 1/2" heims joints and attached to the back side.

SAM-1012.jpg

• Excellent 2

WheelHorse520H
On 6/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, kpinnc said:

Had a snag this week with the steering shaft. I noticed that the links hit the axle both ways and cut how sharp the spindles turned by about half. If you look at the previous pics, and own a 520, you'll probably notice the mounting tab on the shaft is way forward. The angles of the links should have been obvious but I certainly missed it.

Had to remove everything and bend the tab back to normal, but all good now. I have no idea what might have bent it in the first place, unless someone beat the link bolts out with a hammer or something.

IMG_20210611_124423867.jpg

It’s weird they were bent but glad you caught it before you had to dodge a mailbox or something.

Those tires look great… scratch that the whole thing looks great. Excellent job. Like others have said, having a pro paint your WH is following the rules in my book, I wish I had the money to paint my 520-H so nice. Excellent job.

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Like others have said, having a pro paint your WH is following the rules in my book, I wish I had the money to paint my 520-H so nice.

Thanks for the compliment. I painted the hood and fender a couple years ago, and had condensation get into the piant, so it was covered in fish eyes. I was too busy to start over so it's been at the paint shop for two years on a shelf collecting dust. The painter finally got around to finishing it. Pure luck I guess since I started building this thing. It was cheap because it was a "whenever you get to it" project I guess.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

Handy Don
On 6/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, kpinnc said:

This post got me to go out and check my two 500 frames.  The '88 tab is straight down and the '95 (swept axle, gear-reduced steering) is bent back slightly like yours. The tie rods and ball joints get mighty close to the axle at "wheel lock" but don't hit. Makes you appreciate the engineering in those close tolerances for sure!

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

This post got me to go out and check my two 500 frames.  The '88 tab is straight down and the '95 (swept axle, gear-reduced steering) is bent back slightly like yours. The tie rods and ball joints get mighty close to the axle at "wheel lock" but don't hit. Makes you appreciate the engineering in those close tolerances for sure!

My ‘88 has the plate going straight down, I hope I can get a swept with the 60 inch deck they look so nice.

kpinnc

Got back to this one today. Been a while, but it will get done eventually. I had to get my work space set up, and it took a while.

I'm converting a vertical shaft Vanguard to horizontal. The vertical shaft engine blew a head gasket a couple years ago, and blew all the other seals when all that compression went into the case. Luckily I saw it happen, so I shut the engine down before it damaged anything further. I repowered that mower with a spare at the time, so that gave me a good parts donor.

Last year I found a NOS horizontal block, so it's basically going to be a brand new engine when finished. The block came with bearings and seals installed, and cylinders already cross hatched from Briggs. It's as close to plug and play as I've ever seen for certain.

The crank and pistons all checked out well within specs, and the pistons actually still look new when cleaned up. I'm putting in new rings, and everything else will come from the donor, except the bearing plate and oil pump, but I have one of those already. Of course I already have a full gasket/ seal kit ready to go as well.

Gotta go through the heads next, so hopefully I'll have the new block built and sealed up in a few days.

IMG_20210808_124310856.jpg

IMG_20210808_203008043.jpg

IMG_20210808_203127574.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Damien Walker

Excellent work, always good to see. Getting professional assistance (painting) is not cheating at all. You do the bits you can and pay for the rest. I had my tin work professionally powder coated...because they won't fit in my oven!

If you haven't seen it, have a look at my thread on fitting power steering to my 518H.....you may need it with those humungous tyres!

WheelhorseBob

Like the look of this, can't wait for the finished product!

• Like 1

kpinnc

Got the heads done, then realized the crank was completely different. Luckily I found another one. I'm guessing the .425 longer PTO journal adds support since there is no bearing in the vertical models, and because they typically have pretty big side loads. Of course, I'm purely guessing.

Although both cranks mic out the same (journal diameter, stroke, etc) there is about 600 hours on the longer one. 

Anyway- the engine is getting closer to complete. Valves lapped and set. Should all be buttoned up this week.

IMG_20210816_195411630.jpg

IMG_20210809_124424860.jpg

IMG_20210817_102755061.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 4

kpinnc

Buttoned up!

Unfortunately found the crankshaft end play out of spec, so I gotta take the side cover off when I get the correct shims. The one I have is .015 too big.

Anyway, looks good so far!

IMG_20210818_004259340.jpg

IMG_20210818_004238556.jpg

IMG_20210818_004312029.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

Got alot going on this past week, but I managed to piddle just a little bit with the engine build.

Flywheel, coils, intake manifold and carb, starter and oil cooler. 

IMG_20210829_081331382.jpg

IMG_20210829_081344995.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11
On 8/17/2021 at 4:02 AM, kpinnc said:

IMG_20210817_102755061.jpg

Only thing I am wondering here, @kpinnc is how good the cam lobes will get oiled with the orientation of this engine...?

Thing is, normally in modern horizontal engines, the cam is placed low in the oil pan/sump for oiling purposes. 

Doesn't look like the oil cooler pickup tube is going to be submerged either... but I could be wrong. I just hope you don't end up with a grenade. :sci-fi-robot:

Thoughts?

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Only thing I am wondering here, @kpinnc is how good the cam lobes will get oiled with the orientation of this engine...?

Thing is, normally in modern horizontal engines, the cam is placed low in the oil pan/sump for oiling purposes. 

Doesn't look like the oil cooler pickup tube is going to be submerged either... but I could be wrong. I just hope you don't end up with a grenade. :sci-fi-robot:

Thoughts?

Don

The Vanguards have full pressure oiling. My 18 vanguard holds a constant 40 PSI. The oil filter is mounted on the side cover the pick-up tube would be located there too.

The vertical pick-up would different from the horizonal as the oil is in a different location. Don't remember anything about it as it's been 15 years since I had the 16 Vanguard apart

The carburetor looks to me like a vertical shaft carb. set up with that 90 degree adapter and the float will be sideways if it is. Will the carb. bolt down to the intake. 

Kpinnc, I may have some parts you need on the 16 Vanguard.its an older model like your fourteens.

• Like 1

kpinnc

Oil pickup is definitely under oil, even with the engine tilted considerably.

Also, the tappets from a Vanguard I have with 700 hours on it look brand new. Absolutely zero wear.

In the pic below, the oil level rides about halfway up the oil pump gear, maybe a little higher. It still pumps with the engine tilted almost 45 degrees. See that hole at the 9:00 position relative to the PTO bearing? It mates to an o-ring on the block and provides the path for pressurized oil to the rest of the engine. Even the valve rockers get a healthy oil supply.

The only complaint I could have is that the valves need adjusting about every 100 hours. That being said, they are easy to get to.

IMG_20210817_215013717.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Kpinnc, I may have some parts you need on the 16 Vanguard.its an older model like your fourteens.

Sounds good to me! I'm getting ready to build another one. I have another good 14, and a 16 vertical engine I bought years ago just for parts. I'm all about Frankenprojects!

Edited by kpinnc

kpinnc
5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

The carburetor looks to me like a vertical shaft carb. set up with that 90 degree adapter and the float will be sideways if it is. Will the carb. bolt down to the intake. 

I missed this Don, sorry about that. The Vanguards over 20hp use double barrel carbs. But yes, they are almost identical between vertical and horizontal. The horizontal engines use the 90 degree adapter to keep the bowl oriented.

IMG_20210828_205232898.jpg

IMG_20210830_193606545.jpg

Edited by kpinnc

jonw440

Subscribing to this MONSTER tread!

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I missed this Don.

Sounds pretty good. Sounds like you have thought this through. 

Reason I said anything at all is because I care @kpinnc :D

Don

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:
19 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Sounds pretty good. Sounds like you have thought this through. 

Reason I said anything at all is because I care @kpinnc :D

You aren't bothering me sir. I need folks watching out for me. It's far too easy to get consumed in a project and miss things! 

• Thanks 2

Snoopy11
21 hours ago, kpinnc said:

You aren't bothering me sir. I need folks watching out for me. It's far too easy to get consumed in a project and miss things! 

B)What oil you gonna run in that motor?

Don

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

What oil you gonna run in that motor?

I'm not yet 100% certain, but I'm leaning towards Briggs 5w30 full synthetic. I've used the 15w50 version in my zero turn because it has a big block Vanguard and it is reccomended in the service manual. It has high zinc additives, and so far has worked very well in the Scag. 

Whatever it is, it will be full synthetic and have high zinc content. Amsoil has a small engine oil with similar qualities.

As with all my builds, I'll change the oil and filter at the 5 hour mark, and every 50 thereafter.

Van_oil.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
22 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Van_oil.jpg

Well, since it is... now a modified engine... you might consider Klotz? Perhaps one of the best oils for modified engines, in my opinion... might be exceptional for your build. VERY high ZDDP and ester content...

Not trying to turn this into an oil forum guys, just trying to be helpful!

Don

kpinnc

Started working on the mounting plate tonight. Still waiting on an intake part to be delivered, so I'm at a stopping point with the engine build.

I welded some 1 x 2 channel together, because a friend of mine has a 520-H with the repower kit, and his mount allows for routing cables or fuel line under the engine, which I thought would be nice. 

Test fitting the engine looks great so far. Only issue is the muffler. Definitely gonna need some extensions made up. I don't want it that close to the hood. 

Anyway, one step forward and two steps back...

IMG_20210904_005107154.jpg

IMG_20210904_005548040.jpg

IMG_20210904_010022975.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2