mcfarmall

Hello Everyone!

mcfarmall

Just signed up today, recently a friend gave me a C-161 Automatic that needs some love.  It has a brand new deck...not sure of the size, haven't had time to measure it yet, a set of wheel weights encased in black plastic, tire chains, and a Wheel Horse dozer blade for the front.  I plan on getting a new carburetor, fuel pump, air filter, etc. to get it running and see if it's worth putting any significant cash into it.  It also needs a muffler and the slidey plastic thingy that makes the transmission go into forward and reverse, and a new seat.  It's not pretty, but I'd like to make it a functional lawn mower.  Plan on chucking the blade in the dumpster and trying to get rid of the wheel weights and chains eventually...not much need for any of that stuff for a turf tractor.

I'm hoping to use the forum as a source of information to make the necessary repairs and improvements to get it functional again.

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  I’ll show you my dumpster about 45 minutes north of ya for the plow and weights!  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

C-161 is a beast of a runner too by the way.  I don’t think I have a good motion control cam, but I might have a muffler...  Is that the Briggs twin or a Kohler single?

If it’s the Briggs, I have all the engine related stuff you need :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by pullstart

roadapples

:text-yeahthat: don't trash wheel horse parts..

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

22 minutes ago, mcfarmall said:

new carburetor

Rebuild the old one. 

You'll be a lot happier. 

22 minutes ago, mcfarmall said:

Plan on chucking the blade in the dumpster

Whoa!!!

:scared-eek:

REALLY??!!??

Why??

Great parts for someone else to use. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:  I’ll show you my dumpster about 45 minutes north of ya for the plow and weights!  :ROTF:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

@pullstart's dumpster is full... trust me... :ph34r:

Come on over to the east side and I'll take it off your hands! :D

• Haha 4

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:  If @pullstart dumpster is full, I'll help get that blade out of the way for you :D.  And, I'm closer to you than @SylvanLakeWH.

You have found a good place to get Any Wheel Horse related question answered.  Ask away.  Chances are good somebody, more likely several somebodies, out there has had the same problem and fixed it and will be willing to give you advice.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:      To run, the engine needs compression, spark, and fuel.   

Just throwing new parts on an engine can be expensive and non productive.    New parts do not always work as good as an existing old part and just cloud the process.

The first step should be to get the starter to turn over the engine.   This can be done by a jumper from the plus battery post to the plus starter post.     Then you can check compression.

To check for spark at the spark plug, put a small wire jumper from the plus battery post to the plus coil post.    When you crank the engine, you should see a good spark at the grounded plug.

If you have compression and spark,  then the last step would be...... attempt to start the engine by spraying fuel directly into the carb.    :twocents-02cents:     

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell

No Compassion

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:

Women!

:snooty: Smh!

• Haha 1

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to redsquare. 

Another Michigander thats great.

I have a c160 that I redone and this is a great place to get all the help you'll ever need to fix and repair your tractor. I use mine just for winter snow plowing and it is a beast at pushing snow.

So hold on to your plow and weights .

All these guys are totally harmless on here .some are a little funny when ever you talk about tossing out parts of these great machines. You won't fine a better bunch of guys anywhere. 

• Excellent 4

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:@mcfarmall

One more of us Kalamazoo guys huh?  You won’t find a better place to ask questions and get good answers than right here. 
My dumpster is a lot closer than @pullstart’s but he has a lot more room than most of us to store all his parts and pieces. Plus he knows how to put all those parts and pieces together. 
Glad you found us and hope you get that C-161 up and running. 

:wwp:

Edited by jay bee
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, jay bee said:

My dumpster is a lot closer than @pullstart’s but he has a lot more room than most of us to store all his parts and pieces.

not if I don’t tidy the place up soon!  :ROTF:

2E7984D8-8841-4ABF-805B-6C7554B80CAA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

D_Mac
4 hours ago, mcfarmall said:

Just signed up today, recently a friend gave me a C-161 Automatic that needs some love.  It has a brand new deck...not sure of the size, haven't had time to measure it yet, a set of wheel weights encased in black plastic, tire chains, and a Wheel Horse dozer blade for the front.  I plan on getting a new carburetor, fuel pump, air filter, etc. to get it running and see if it's worth putting any significant cash into it.  It also needs a muffler and the slidey plastic thingy that makes the transmission go into forward and reverse, and a new seat.  It's not pretty, but I'd like to make it a functional lawn mower.  Plan on chucking the blade in the dumpster and trying to get rid of the wheel weights and chains eventually...not much need for any of that stuff for a turf tractor.

I'm hoping to use the forum as a source of information to make the necessary repairs and improvements to get it functional again.

Welcome to Red Square and congrats on your new tractor. I had a C-161 Automatic that wasnt much to look at when I first got it. They sure look nice all cleaned up though. My first bit of advice would be to get rid of the rubber engine mounts and replace them with solid mounts.

mcfarmall

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I think the blade and the weights will have to go as I have a Kubota M5660 tractor to clean the driveway and do any other chores around the house EXCEPT mowing the grass.  Maybe I'll drive past Jay Bee's house at 3 AM and dump the stuff in his yard!  Heck, it's better than my old dishwasher and a mattress!  I'll let the stuff go to someone who wants it, not Schupan's, now that I know someone will get some enjoyment and use out of it.  I'm open to trades for some stuff if you have it.

The carb is a Walbro WHG 4505380 63 2224 and I've never seen a throttle shaft as sloppy as this one...probably at least 2mm slop top and bottom and heavy internal corrosion.  Engine is a one lunger Kohler K341AS, Spec 71246a s/n 9678791.  Tractor is 91-16KS01-14427 9183 if that helps.

Yes, the rubber engine mounts are shot...

You'll be hearing from me as I start to dig in to this project...my wife is missing her mowing partner.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, mcfarmall said:

throttle shaft as sloppy

There's a repair that can be done to that.

Quite a few of us with the larger bore engines are not having good luck with the aftermarket carburetors.

If you buy a Chinese replacement, good luck. Seriously. I wish you well. But I'll never get another one.

If you send that carb out to me I can rebuild it for you or you can tackle it yourself using the instructions that we have here on the site here and there.

Solid engine mounts are available for those to replace the degraded rubber..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, mcfarmall said:

the slidey plastic thingy that makes the transmission go into forward and reverse,

The plastic cams are getting hard to find, you may be able to get a good used one from Lincoln at A-Z  https://a-ztractor.com/ .

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The plastic cams are getting hard to find, you may be able to get a good used one from Lincoln at A-Z  https://a-ztractor.com/ .

Richard is this a part that could be 3D printed?

• Like 1

953 nut
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Richard is this a part that could be 3D printed?

It probably could if the new part had the correct hardness and strength.

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS:

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It probably could if the new part had the correct hardness and strength.

@Wheel Horse 3D

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, mcfarmall said:

Heck, it's better than my old dishwasher and a mattress!

:ROTF:  

Is that a problem in your area?  Sounds like an old Alan Jackson song...

• Haha 1

Achto
14 hours ago, mcfarmall said:

slidey plastic thingy that makes the transmission go into forward and reverse,

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Wheel Horse part number 5996. They are still out there. Price range seems to very a lot depending on the vendor.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bushing/5996/1851247

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/toro/5996

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Guess who else has them?!?!? 

#5996 Cam Plate for Hydrostatic Transmission - Wheel Horse Parts and More

Sorry to put you out of business 3D! 

:WRS: Farmall .... sounds like you are surrounded by a bunch of canaries who want yer horse... be wary of them... :ph34r: ..... 'specially that pullstart character ...he's been know to jump in a wood pile if there's a snake in it! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3