WHX??

Gibson Model G

oliver2-44

Congratulations, The Gibson D I saw and posted a picture of a few weeks ago had a broken frame to transaxle casting mount and no engine.  Someone else picked it up  and its parted out, currently for sale on Clist in my area.  If you need anything I'll be glad to help you.  You sure must be living right for these thinks to just keep falling out of the sky and landing in your driveway. 

A Hooded Gibson is one of my bucket list tractors. Those are right up there with Pond Seniors.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Rims Jim right off the bat I noticed the clorided rears and if you check care full the fronts are actually spare temp tires off Lord knows where .  ... Dan just told me correct would be something off a Farm all. 

Achto

She looks pretty cool Jim!!! It's a model D not model G might wanna change that on your heading. I'm not sure why they had a battery on it. That magneto should not need a battery. The front rims should be the same as what is on a Farmall Cub. Those donuts on the front are definitely not right. The 16's on the back look correct, same tires as ours has too. Looks like a fun project though, can't wait to tear into it with you.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:confusion-confused:I wonder if they wired up the automotive coil and used the points inside of the magneto to get the timing right so it would run??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

So cool Uncle Jim!  If his boy doesn’t want those dibs, I’ll give ya twice what you paid for it!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Stepney

Sure it was simply a mag failure.. most good ol boys had no clue how to mend one. Probably a Wico X or along those lines.. and if the impulse coupling spring ever went, that engine would be impossible to crank over fast enough to make a spark too..

Neat project to be sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Tiller. Steer. 

Drooooooooool....

Pullstart

You know Uncle Jim, I was thinking.  You aren’t much a guy for manual lift.  I’ll just make room for picking that up in July at Portage.  All in favor of your shoulder ya know...

What engine is that by the way?  I have a spare AEH Wisconsin with a magneto...

• Haha 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, Stepney said:

Sure it was simply a mag failure.. most good ol boys had no clue how to mend one. Probably a Wico X or along those lines.. and if the impulse coupling spring ever went, that engine would be impossible to crank over fast enough to make a spark too..

Neat project to be sure. 

:text-yeahthat:             Had a 1919 American LaFrance fire engine that had magneto and points ignition. If you wanted it to start with the hand crank the mag. gave you a fighting chance. Once it was warmed up nine times out of ten you could start it by just moving the spark advance lever back and forth rapidly, no cranking needed.

• Excellent 2

Shynon
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

may have to have a :wh: fire sale to make room

:ROTF:I'll be down your way on Friday, l can stop by and pick up the :wh:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Sooo...If you have generated enough Horse gravity it sucks in ALL kinds of classic tractors! Good to know!

• Haha 3

Wheel Horse 3D
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

You know Uncle Jim, I was thinking.  You aren’t much a guy for manual lift.  I’ll just make room for picking that up in July at Portage.  All in favor of your shoulder ya know...

Soooo sweet, soooo caring..lookin out for Uncle Jim that way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Achto said:

model D not model G

My bad  :hide:.... I was excited :lol: 

• Haha 3

squonk
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

She's a project and Dan doesn't know it yet that he is gonna come help me get it running 

I'm sure you will be able to handle the shifter boot. Let Dan take care of the rest! :bow-blue: :hilarious:

• Haha 5

squonk

Boy Dan works FAST!! :shock:

033.JPG.3ed5c88a5beeebd9ae4829f389b4b57a.JPG

• Haha 5

WHX??

Hard to make out the engine numbers. Think I see AHH

20210503_164547.jpg

20210503_164556.jpgThe magneto

20210503_164444.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Think I see AHH

That's what I read also. 9.2HP largest single cylinder that Wisconsin made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

Boy Dan works FAST!! :shock:

:ROTF:

I work Good, Fast, and Cheap. Unfortunately I only allow you to pick 2 of these 3 options when I do a job for you.  :D

• Haha 5

WHX??
15 minutes ago, Achto said:

That's what I read also. 9.2HP largest single cylinder that Wisconsin made.

Is this the same motor on yours then Dan, Guessing this a '48 or '49? 

Interesting learning about these tractors.

The first production tractor was a model 'A' which, along with the latter models 'D', 'SD' , and Super D, was powered with a six horsepower Wisconsin air cooled model AEH engine (some early 'Ds' had a nine HP AHH engine).

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Achto
4 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Is this the same motor on yours then Dan

I believe that is the same engine that is on ours. I would have to look to be sure.

prondzy

Pretty cool Jim, i like it fer sure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

After some more time with her and research it appears that there is a Wico mag base mount on it @Stepney. A closeup of the tag says C 150 C.  Looks like a PO had problems with it and wired a battery to the kill terminal through a coil. Was this a farmer fix?

Since I have limited to no experience with mags thoughts are to yank it and send it to a experienced rebuilder. I gotta ditch the homemade  battery box it's just out of place and hokey. 

• Like 2

Stepney
18 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

send it to a experienced rebuilder.

That's the way to do it.. they could often due with having the magnets recharged anyway. Good for another 50 years if maintained properly. Oftentimes they simply weren't..

Have several mags here from the 1920's that still have original condensers to boot..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1