skibum

518-H

skibum

I have a 518 -H 

That won’t stop if I push the brake  in as hard as I can it almost stalls the engine  

question is when you push the brake pedal down does it put the hydraulic system in neutral or is the brakes supposed to fight the hydraulic system??

dcrage

The brake is SUPPOSED to move the hydro to the neutral position. There may be some guidance in an owners manual. 

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Click on the picture in the link

Tuneup

Yes, my 516H being identical, the foot pedal returns the go lever to neutral - provided it's properly adjusted - and then begins to apply the brake. Your brake is also adjustable and likely worn. I had to replace the lining before it would engage at all.

• Like 1

Handy Don

Welcome to the forum  @skibum

Gonna guess that not only is the motion control not centering, the parking brake isn't working either.

Had the same issue with a 518-H. The likely problem is that the part of the brake linkage that activates the motion control centering and lets you apply the parking brake is disconnected. It might be as simple as a missing/rusted out cotter pin. Depending on your mechanical skills and dexterity, the fix is relatively straightforward. Access to that place is not.

I've annotated the IPL so you can see what's going on.

1982143554_518motioncenter.jpg.8b3f6a243045a3e06cc59d3e78db118e.jpg

425213934_518brakeconnection.thumb.jpg.56baaf0c905b6cc9c3d96455fea95b57.jpg

As noted above, there is no washer to protect the cotter pin and the pin itself was very small. I drilled a new hole in the end of brake rod #7 for the cotter pin--slightly larger and leaving room for a washer and a slightly larger pin. A pair of very long needle-nosed pliers (some strong forceps would have been better!) let me reach down in there to insert the pin. Once reassembled, I lubed the heck out of it with Red N Tacky grease.

Good luck and let us know how you fare!

• Like 1

skibum

Thank you so much that was the problem the Cotter pin is very Challenging but I got it in thank you so much for all your help

Handy Don
6 minutes ago, skibum said:

Thank you so much that was the problem the Cotter pin is very Challenging but I got it in thank you so much for all your help

Outstanding and you are most welcome! Now you can readjust the brake and you'll be good to go mowing.

skibum

Yes I did I just the break working like a champ thanks again my friend

• Like 1