formariz

What does it do?

formariz
34 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I would have LOVED to have seen that!  Been there and able to listen and learn!  Spend time with someone familiar with the "old ways"!

Very fortunate for you to have know him!  Fortunate for us that you share some of your knowledge and memories!

Thank you. Many times I wish there was a way to put what is stored in my mind into video. I was the last generation to be exposed to incredible stuff like I mentioned before. Memories like watching my father and grandfather pitsawing lumber ( except for there it was not a pit but a tripod like scaffold), my mothers family plowing the fields with oxen, the traditional hog slaughter and countless others. I have always wished that I was born at least 50 years earlier. All of those incredible people are now gone and almost no one remembers how incredible they were and almost no one had the frame of mind to preserve and pass on what they knew.

• Heart 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

Thank you. Many times I wish there was a way to put what is stored in my mind into video. I was the last generation to be exposed to incredible stuff like I mentioned before. Memories like watching my father and grandfather pitsawing lumber ( except for there it was not a pit but a tripod like scaffold), my mothers family plowing the fields with oxen, the traditional hog slaughter and countless others. I have always wished that I was born at least 50 years earlier. All of those incredible people are now gone and almost no one remembers how incredible they were and almost no one had the frame of mind to preserve and pass on what they knew.

I was blessed with a bit of that and my what fond memories!  I fear that much has been forgotten, more unappreciated and that most will fade away...  Fortunately digital video makes saving and sharing easier and I think an increased interest might help prove me wrong.  

Both my grandparents lived on self-sufficient farms and both had some old time equipment and lived in an old rural area where most lived like that.  Worked hard but it didn't seem like work...

Wheel Horse 3D

Fortunately my dad took the time to share a lot of the old Appalachian ways with me, as he grew up while they were still in common practice im the remote areas here, but would have been great to have seen the old timers doing it themselves!

CCW
19 hours ago, formariz said:

Thank you I appreciate that.  Many times I hope I am not burning you guys up with this stuff. Its not always easy to find interest in this kind of stuff, perhaps on of the main reasons why so much has been lost.

@formariz  I was a Tech Ed teacher.  More a generalist in a wood shop, metal shop, engineering and architectural drawing.  Have been a tool guy all my life.  Today, retired, there is no one in my life who I can converse with about tools.  Having you relate your experiences gives me the opportunity to "talk tools".

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1